Songs that get a little overplayed a bit too much

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Quite often in movies, commercials or what have you, one particular song gets snatched up for promoting a new movie, or even some video games. It's a good song, perhaps you know the artist who sings it, and you are happy to find them getting recognized. No problems.

Two weeks from now, you hear the song in a television show, or a movie, or a commercial and its okay, a little weird, but it works. A few weeks later, it is almost in everything. Five years later, it's almost referenced for everything, and guess what? It becomes overplayed and you hate hearing it.

I got this idea from listening to "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. It's a great song, received praise for being on the TV show Miami Vice in the 80s. Now all you have to do it turn on some media and it will play somewhere, either in a moment of realization, in revenge, for comedic effect, ETC.

I like the song sure, but I have gotten to the point where if I hear it advertising a movie or something, I kind of want to physically throw up. With the exception of maybe The Hangover, I have grown tired of the song.

I will say two songs that got lots of accolades to the point where it got heard everywhere was James Brown's "I Feel Good", which I hate, and even Electric Light Orchestra can't spare us of "Mr. Blue Sky" in almost every trailer in the world, and to some extent, some movies.

I guess Kick-Ass also playing "Bad Reputation" in every other trailer kind of makes we wish I was Mr. Potato Head some days.

So, to the escapist members, are there any songs that you think have been played too much (Not necessarily overplaying on the radio, just in commercials, shows, whatever)?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Anything produced by Disney for example the High School Musical twats, Miley "my teeth are too big for my mouth" Cyrus and The "we swear we're not gay" Jonas Brothers.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I gotta feeling by the Black eye peas. Just about every TV trailer and a lot of movies.

WoUlD_yOu_KiNdLy

Mar 4, 2009
i think its called " dont stop believing" by journey and now glee.......... not only did glee ruin it but its also on 24/7 on every radio station

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
It takes more than a bit of overexposure to make me not like a song. What annoys me more is adverts for television shows/films which tend to repeat every advert break. I don't watch a lot of TV, but my housemate has it on constantly, and I get the same soundbites and clips over and over again. Much more grating than any overplayed song.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
A lot of Beatles songs. I don't know why everyone started playing their songs all of the sudden.

I blame Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Every time they release a new game, the songs in it are overplayed non stop by everybody.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
Every dutch song gets overplayed. Since we've got but few 'popular' musicians over here you'll hear their same songs played everywhere!

Edit: Oh, and this.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
WoUlD_yOu_KiNdLy said:
i think its called " dont stop believing" by journey and now glee.......... not only did glee ruin it but its also on 24/7 on every radio station
I hate that song. I used to think it was alright, you know it's alright to on occasion to be on but the fact that everywhere I go I here it now just infuriates me.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
First song that comes to my mind: "Last Christmas" by Wham!

Every. Single. Year.
I like the song itself, but it's just played way too often around Christmas.

EDIT: Okay, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" wins this thread.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
vrbtny said:
I gotta feeling by the Black eye peas. Just about every TV trailer and a lot of movies.
I agree so much! It was criminally overplayed in clubs too, every time it came on I just wanted to leave the club. I think most places have probably found a new song to abuse now though.

I remember Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day was overplayed on Radio 1, more so than any other song I've ever heard. Pretty much turned me off that track for life.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Anything on the top 10 and 20 lists across the world are over played... Because they play the damn songs over and over and over and over again on the radio and on TV and in stores!

Emberwolf

Mar 7, 2010
In the UK at the moment it seems to be anything by JLS. In my last job I heard their songs played at least 4 times in my 8 hour shift.
It. Drove. Me. Insane.

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
well it used to be Jars by Chevelle. i like the song, but it used to be on the radio whenever i would enter my car and it got a bit annoying, much to my dislike.

Sanquinius96

Apr 12, 2010
TheDuckbunny said:
Every dutch song gets overplayed. Since we've got but few 'popular' musicians over here you'll hear their same songs played everywhere!
So very true, and they're not even good to begin with o_O