Sonic Boom Cartoon Series Debut Date Revealed

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Sonic Boom Cartoon Series Debut Date Revealed

Newest animated series for speedy Sega mascot gets a November premiere date

We already knew that tie-in cartoon series. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/9381-Sonic-Boom-E3-Trailer] Now, we know when you'll get to see it.

At an October 4th Sticks the Badger, [<a href=] a new female character created for the Boom series.

Produced by French animation studio told Polygon [http://www.ouido-productions.com/] is part of an overall effort to make Sonic more appealing to Western audiences.

Sonic Boom will debut November 8 on Cartoon Network.

Source: Sonic The Hedgehog (YouTube) [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT0oqTr3iGo]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
You know, after 10+ years of Robotnik capturing tiny woodland creatures and using them to power robots (or whatever he had them for) It's actually kind of nice to see them getting paranoid about it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That doesn't actually seem awful.

Not great of course, and I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it, but I'm surprised at how not horrendous that was.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
yeah, looks pretty entertaining to me, colour me intrigued, I did chuckle a bit at "that's a fair question", though they seem to have changed Sonic's voice, it's not bad but I've been used to his voice as it was for a while, (though honestly, my biggest hope right now is just that Sonic Boom is a good game, the potential quality of a tie-in series is pretty much irrelevant there)

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Is it just me, or did there seem to be some lip syncing problems in that video? I'm usually not one to worry myself over such things and I'll still give the series a try, but I find it odd just how much it stuck out to me.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Anything titled "Sonic Boom" that does not involve Guile from Street Fighter gets an automatic frowny-face sticker from me.

Also, the preview just looked... bland. Like the half-assed kids' shows you see on Nick Jr. these days, lifeless animation and aimless directing.

MovieBob said:
The series will have an episodic, 11-minute "vignette" structure, which supervisor Takashi Iizuka previously told Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/6/5387184/why-sega-handed-sonic-over-to-western-studios-and-gave-him-a-scarf] is part of an overall effort to make Sonic more appealing to Western audiences.
Translation: "Those American kids these days can't focus on anything for more than five minutes without an achievement popping up or something, so we have to ensure that we keep actual story to tiny, easily-digested chunks."

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Hey, this might not suck! Awesome.
Of course the little brown thing reminds me of the little brown thing from Sonic Rush Adventures.
And for that she must be destroyed.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
But the question is, will it have as awesome a openin as Sonic X?

Cause I kept watchin that show despite its blandness because its openin.

Get hyped!

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
This looks like it might be amusing. Not great or revolutionary, but at the very least competently made and entertaining. Reminds me most of the new Pacman show (Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures), and that show isn't half bad. The tie-in game for that is a little...lacking, but Sonic Boom might avoid Pacman's issues if the game takes place before the show. PMatGA the game was meant to tie in with the show, so it assumes you've watched at least half of the first season and know all the characters already. Which is weird. The show felt like a big ad for the game, then the game felt like a cheap tie-in for the show.

So color me cautiously optimistic for this show.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
The comedic timing is pretty good. I was chuckling at it more than I expected.

Knuckles still looks weird, though.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I... I didn't cringe. Huh.

I gave up on Sonic after Shadow the Hedgehog, and that probably won't change, but this show actually looks pretty promising, or at least amusing.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
shintakie10 said:

Get hyped!
You didn't post the best Sonic opening? Shame on you.

Though I actually prefer the unused theme:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
To be honest, seeing the trailer, I'm a bit more positive about the show than I was awhile back. It's silly, intended for a younger audience...but it knows it. I can probably enjoy it. Even Sticks isn't as offputting as she once was, though as someone who liked Marine, I have to wonder why she wasn't used instead.

And it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who remembers SatAM. Best Sonic cartoon IMO.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Well, it looks awful, but they're very clearly sticking with a completely new direction, which I wholly respect. Maybe with this, old Sonic fans might finally be able to let it go and let Sonic be part of a new generation's nostalgia. Still, funny to see Sonic's updated personality being a surly teenager who's so cool he doesn't care about anything man. It fits with the original personality, showing that the delightfully special people behind it are still always two steps behind about what's "hip" in the modern times.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
I will confess, I actually laughed. Still think the character designs are stupid though. Also not really digging Sonic and Knuckles voices, they don't sound quite right to me, Knuckles especially. That said, it was entertaining enough that I'm willing to not immediately right the whole thing off as terrible.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
marioandsonic said:
shintakie10 said:

Get hyped!
You didn't post the best Sonic opening? Shame on you.

Though I actually prefer the unused theme:

Really ? Really ? we going to be comparing Sonic Theme songs ok ok fine lets do this.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
I just realized that the new character is called Sticks. Now I can't look up that word in Google Images with SafeSearch turned off. Thanks a lot Sonic Team!