Sonic Boom, Sega's Upcoming Wii U/3DS Sonic Title, Revealed

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Those character designs... what? Amy and tails seem relatively unchanged but Jesus! Sonic and Knuckles are so creepily tall now. It looks like I'm looking at a human wearing a Sonic costume now, rather than the actual character.

And Knuckles is massive now? I guess it'll be interesting to see the reason for that choice in game.

Not that it's likely I'll play it or anything.

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
Never know, could be a fun. I'll wait until full on gameplay videos hit the internet before I make up my mind about this.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Okay something about Amy is throwing me off. I have no idea what it is, but something in the back of my skull is saying "Something's wrong here".

Also it's nice to see that Sonic and the gang have been given fifth fingers.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Well, there goes that franchise.

Oh wait, it has been shit for years. Sadface.

SEGA, why do you constantly ruin the blurs' name more and more. You nailed the gameplay mechanics with Sonic Unleashed (but lets all forget the werehog never happened) and produced some amazing level design.

Then you wrecked everything with Generations, produce that nancy Colours game, Lost World is just a bad game and now this horrendous...spin-off? multiverse? What the hell are you doing?

In-game footage looks terrible, bad shaders and really bad character models. Also you used dubstep? Skrillex would like to thank you that his 5 minutes of fame did actually exist and you reminded us all by using his track.

Lastly, get rid of Roger Craig Smith he is without a doubt one of the worst Sonic voice actors ever hired.

Hey who knows, maybe it'll be good...*uncontrollable sniggering*

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
josemlopes said:
Yeah, sorry but the ingame footage looks fucking terrible, it may play nicely but at the same time it looks so far away from a Sonic game that it might as well be a new IP

Yeah, but the trailer even stated right off the bat that this isn't even really the final product.

Not to mention that Sega themselves have stated that this is an offshoot from the main series.

At the same time it seems that everyone has forgotten about Sonic Heroes and the Adventure series, which are very similar to this.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
TV Series?

They're taking the Pac-man reboot route. Hopefully the naughty dog aesthetic brings out a better game, and translates into the tv show.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Dexterity said:
Yopaz said:
Holy crap... trying too hard anyone? Both the music and the "badass" poses makes me facepalm.

Oh well, one thing is for sure. Sonic games are trying to make something new at least. It's refreshing to see that at least. Even though Knuckles looks bloody awful. However I have a feeling this game won't increase the sales for the Wii U...
The first time they "tried something new", it was great. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were really fun games.

However, after that? With games like Sonic and the Black Knight and Sonic Unleashed? No... They were absolutely terrible (aside from Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages, which kind of redeemed it).

I'm prepared to give this game a shot though, I just wish they'd lower the weight on Sonic's chest a bit though, and tone down Knuckles a lot, he looks especially strange just having regular knuckle's head on his shoulders, he just looks incredibly out of place.
Sonic Adventure 2 was one of my favourite games on the GameCube, it was a great 3D Sonic game with different ways of controlling different characters. While I have mixed feelings about newer releases there have been some I liked and some I didn't like and some that made me wish they would kill of the character they are at least trying to make something new. It's just sad that they're failing to do it well.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
McFazzer said:
Okay something about Amy is throwing me off. I have no idea what it is, but something in the back of my skull is saying "Something's wrong here".
I think she's too thin. Maybe it's just the dress design.

Knuckles doesn't even look built. He looks like he's wearing a badly made inflatable sumo costume.

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
Super Not Cosmo said:
Did someone say Sonic Boom !?!?!?!

Really people, I'm disappointed it took over 20 replies before this got posted. Your better than this!
In my defence I just got out of bed. The feeling that I get from that video captures the Sonic experience (and maybe the only one) I would like to play. However it might be hard to properly translate that into a video game.

And no, the game in the opening post doesn't seem to be it.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
The character redesign looks good. Exaggerating character traits should work well in the sonic aesthetic. The only thing I can't figure out is why sonic has a scarf...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
We'll, it's different at least. There is a possibility that it'll be alright.

Amy looks drunk in that still shot though.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
McFazzer said:
I agree- I think it's the dress. It's rounded and glossy where the rest of her is matte. The end result looks like a piece of gummi candy with toothpick limbs stuck into it.

Oh the whole though, I don't hate the new look. I don't LIKE it, but I don't hate it.

I don't really know what to think on this one. On the one hand, no attempt to make Sonic more 'edgy' has ever really worked out for him. On the other, the people making this have a great pedigree for this kind of game. Put me in the 'cautiously optimistic' camp. (I do hope they tweak Amy's dress, though. Ick.)

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
I really like the new character designs, Knunckles probably being my favourite. I could actually believe that he can smash through rocks with his fists. I do wonder each character is going to play, and how the game will handle in general. I absolutely hate the dubstep in the trailer, though. I do hope that they will have a soundtrack similar to Sonic 06.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I'm in the "skeptical, but not necessarily pessimistic" camp. While I'm not very fond of the character designs, Knuckles' especially, and the graphics don't look particularly good (though this is a work in progress so they'll probably look better when finished), I don't know enough about the game to be able to say if it'll be good or not.

Recent Sonic games (i.e. after '06) have all been fun, but flawed, so I'm not expecting perfection from this title, one way or another. Unleashed had some of the best level design in any Sonic game in the PS3 and 360 version, though the night segments played like crap. Colors was great; it took everything that the daytime segments in Unleashed did right and made it better, though the addition of the color powers didn't really add much for me, and apart from a few sections, mostly gimmick stages, the level design suffered when they were used. Generations was really good, but the boss fights sucked, and a lot of the nostalgia factor was lost on me since I didn't grow up with 2D, pre-Sonic Adventure games. I also think that they should have focused less on the challenge stages and more on making full levels; I think it would have been nice to have had 2 modern and 2 classic stages per zone, rather than just one each. I haven't played Lost World, however, so I can't really say anything about it.

As for side games and spinoffs, the storybook series was... Well, it was something. I had fun with Black Knight, but it wasn't amazing. Given the premise of "Sonic with a sword", you can't really expect much from it that it didn't deliver. I kinda wish the non-Sonic characters were playable in more levels, though. Secret Rings, on the other hand, wasn't very good, mostly because of control issues. Hopefully, Sonic Boom plays well enough to get some amount of fun out of it.

Also, the dubstep doesn't really help in endearing me to the concept, but I can't really judge a game based on a song used in a trailer.