Sonic Goes Rainbow In Sonic Colors

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sonic Goes Rainbow In Sonic Colors

Sega has announced Sonic Colors for the Wii and DS in its continued attempt to crush the stubborn hopes of every last remaining Sonic fan on the planet.

You have to almost admire Sega, in a way. The developers are probably as familiar with the infamous Sonic Cycle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/images/view/58849] as gamers are, so this time around they're just jumping into it: The teaser trailer for the upcoming Sonic Colors (or, as they call it in places that spell everything with an extra "U," Sounic Colours) proudly displays Sonic the Hedgehog's new friends right off the bat.

Sonic Colors is set in an "extraordinary amusement park" orbiting the hedgehog's home planet, where the alien Wisps who "have a unique colorful energy" are being held by Dr. Robotnik. Or Eggman, if that's what they're calling him these days. Sonic must help the Wisps escape by using their alien powers, because that's just what he does.

"The vibrant alien world of Sonic Colors enables players to race at top speed through incredible looking planets, each with their own unique visual style," says Sega's Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing. "In addition to the classic Sonic game play style, the colorful new Wisp power ups offer a fresh new way of exploring these worlds and helps make Sonic faster than ever before!"

Sorry, Mr. Knight, but I'm just not ready to drink the Kool-Aid. I loved the old Sonic titles as much as anyone, but until the game comes out and is proven to be good, I just can't get excited anymore. I'll hope for the best, but color (har har) me skeptical for now.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Ok, im calling it now, somehow the Chaos Gems come to life and are one eyed alien looking things.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think this one transcends the Sonic Cycle, but not in a good way. That title makes me think that Sonic's either joining the cast of Sesame Street or coming out of the closet.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
They're clearly targeting younger gamers with this release, whilst Sonic 4 is clearly attempting to appeal to the Nostalgia junkies. I really don't see the issue - if Sega want to market their product to both sets of players then they can do just that, but let's not pretend that every game in the series has to appeal to those who played the first 3 or 4 Sonic games, the character has moved on - he's still a Mascot but has to appeal to a wider audience. Sonic 4 may get good review scores, but if it doesn't sell well (like Sonic Unleashed apparently did) then there is little point constantly developing Sonic games.

Sonic "fans" need to stop having such entitlement issues.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I think this one transcends the Sonic Cycle, but not in a good way. That title makes me think that Sonic's either joining the cast of Sesame Street or coming out of the closet.
After it was revealed that sonic is in fact a pedophile, I would not be surprised.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh... so he isn't going rainbow colours like this:
-Image snipped due to error. I should make them better-​
Awww, I had my hopes up and everything...
Last sonic game I bought was actually Shadow the Hedgehog >.>
At least you could use guns in that one...

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Hm. For some reason, I read that game description, and I could only think of Sonic 3D Blast.

Well, I liked that game, so I could probably give this one a chance.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
"Colour" is spelt with a "U" in England for all you Yanks. And how about we not make judgements out of Pre-Rendered cinematics, Eh? Lets just see what it looks like THEN slate it.

Calumon: It could be good! Sonic does seem like he's... oh I can't do that with a straight face.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
"The vibrant alien world of Sonic Colors enables players to race at top speed through incredible looking planets, each with their own unique visual style,"
Boy, those Sega guys do know how to spice up the ol' formula.

Zozzilla

Apr 28, 2010
Please someone kill me now.

I have loved Sonic since he first sped onto the Mega Drive, I even like Sonic Adventure, but dear god...SEGA, please stop! >.<

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Don't you people see?
This is the Sonic title that will change all our opinions of the serie--HA HAA!...

No.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Dark Templar said:
canadamus_prime said:
After it was revealed that sonic is in fact a pedophile, I would not be surprised.
Say what...?
D_987 said:
Sonic "fans" need to stop having such entitlement issues.
I think fans PERIOD need to stop having such entitlement issues, not just Sonic fans, but all fans of everything everywhere.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
yay ANOTHER sonic game
run right to win, or if you are advanced run left for some of the time&#65279;

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
The Great JT said:
Alas, poor Sonic, I knew him, Horatio.
Epic,

Well, at least the other new Sonic title is coming back to the basics, right?

...right?