Sonic Lost World Review - Beauty Is Only Quill Deep

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Sonic Lost World Review - Beauty Is Only Quill Deep

Pretty visuals don?t do enough to spice up the tired old hedgehog.

Read Full Article

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I thought after Generations got such good reviews and everyone basically loved it we would have got more of that style :(

Oh well.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Man Sega are really dropping the ball again, just after recovering it from an awkward stumble. They just don't seem to get how to make consistently good Sonic games, if they had just kept with what Generations did they could have had a good game instead of this mediocre one. A shame really.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Dragoon said:
Man Sega are really dropping the ball again, just after recovering it from an awkward stumble. They just don't seem to get how to make consistently good Sonic games, if they had just kept with what Generations did they could have had a good game instead of this mediocre one. A shame really.
wasn't generations also a mediocre game since half a good game and half a bad game average out to that much

it's getting hard to gamble on something that failed so hard that it still hasn't shaken off the slump after ending up the pity horse in the stable of what used to be its adversary

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Man, that's disappointing.

I thought Lost World actually looked good. It had cool ideas that felt like they'd really work in a Sonic game.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Hmmm I dunno I watched a bit of a live-stream the other night while I was working and to me it looked decent. And there seemed to be no handling issues on the part of the person playing.

And for a Sonic game I really never expect much more than 'decent'. So I guess I don't particularly feel like singing Sonic's swan song for the hundredth time on a forum, or being disappointed over it.

I mean looking at this back to back with Rayman legends, I'd see the same level of enjoyment, they're both dated and tarted up with pretty colours so this review feels a little... overly cynical?

weirdguy said:
wasn't generations also a mediocre game since half a good game and half a bad game average out to that much

it's getting hard to gamble on something that failed so hard that it still hasn't shaken off the slump after ending up the pity horse in the stable of what used to be its adversary
You're thinking of Unleashed.

Generations was a short but sweet game. Which modders on steam made even sweeter by grabbing all the good parts of Unleashed and letting you download them INTO generations.
No hating generations, it was good.

Edit: Ah-ha Jim's review of this is more what I felt. http://www.destructoid.com/review-sonic-lost-world-263720.phtml

Dec 14, 2009
I actually have the game, and I like it. It's actually more difficult than Generations, the platforming is solid, Sonic controls really well, and the level designs are diverse and imaginative.

It's not a brilliant game, but I think it's worth peoples' time.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm starting to think that the demographic for this kind of game isn't even going to look at mainstream reviews. I know one person who basically buys all the Sonic games because his son just loves them. It's sort of like hidden object games and how no one ever pays attention to them unless they show up on kick starter.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Meh. It didn't look that interesting to me. Not entirely sure why they've tried changing from the 2.5D style of Generations... (Although the Adventure games managed full 3D fairly well.)

Anyway, I think I have a fix for Sega's problem with handling Sonic - the whole "How do I 3D platform when I'm going at the speed of sound?!" thing. Don't slow down Sonic - which is what they've done for Lost World - just give us a button which slows down time. Enter the Matrix style. So I'm still going at ridiculous-miles-per-hour, but I'm able to make that precision jump. Heck, they had this as an unlockable in Generations, just bring it into the main game... Call it "Sonic-reflexes" or some such thing...

Oh. And get someone who can actually write a decent storyline. Like, the people who wrote Sonic Adventure 2, get them back.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
You'd think that after Generations, Sonic would have cleaned up his act from now on.

The_Darkness said:
Anyway, I think I have a fix for Sega's problem with handling Sonic - the whole "How do I 3D platform when I'm going at the speed of sound?!" thing. Don't slow down Sonic - which is what they've done for Lost World - just give us a button which slows down time. Enter the Matrix style. So I'm still going at ridiculous-miles-per-hour, but I'm able to make that precision jump. Heck, they had this as an unlockable in Generations, just bring it into the main game... Call it "Sonic-reflexes" or some such thing...
That's not a bad idea.

One recurring thing developers have used as an accuse is that they can't make Sonic fast all the time otherwise they'd need to create thousands of miles of game world. Problem is why is Sonic's speed the only factor when in the original games it never was. Sure he could have bursts of speed but it wasn't non-stop. Basically the developers need to dispel the myth Sonic was only about speed. Yet that doesn't mean they can make the slow portions terrible (like Unleashed).

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Dragoon said:
Hard to drop the ball when Sonic just does not work well in 3D. It's a remnant of the 2D era that has no place nowadays. You just can't make a Sonic game that does what Sonic always did best in 3D without it basically playing itself.

There's a reason the best Sonic games these days basically rehash the best parts of the 2D games all over again. It's a dead series and there's really nowhere to go with it. But because people like to get nostalgic about the glory days and because Sonic is basically Sega's mascot everyone feels obligated to keep trying when the best thing to do would be to move on and let the franchise die with whatever dignity it has left. And I say this as someone who is a Sonic fan.

The high speed gameplay just doesn't work in 3D the way it did in 2D, and if you strip that away your left with a series that was never very good at anything else (except maybe soundtracks).

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
So basically the game is great overall until you start lowering your speed settings?

I mean, I'm still going to try it out anyway.

However I feel that this is a win-lose situation for them on that front.

You had a bunch of people complain that they couldn't control Sonic at max speed circa Sonic Colors. Now they lower the speed and it's still a complaint.

Honestly Sonic does it's best when it's a 2D platformer with hints of 3D in the mix.

However I personally think it shouldn't of gotten a 2 and a half stars. I think that's just a tad bit harsh, but an opinion is an opinion.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
The_Darkness said:
Oh. And get someone who can actually write a decent storyline. Like, the people who wrote Sonic Adventure 2, get them back.
Sonic adventure 2 was abysmally written... I'm sorry I do not mean to shit on anyone's nostalgia but come ON.

The adventure games trying to be increasingly 'edgy' is what led up to Shadow the Hedgehog and 06'.
These cartoony stories are fine. They're inoffensive, don't take over the game play, and aren't continuously trying to complete with actual rpgs for cheesy cliche 'drama'.

This is coming from someone who really loved Adventure 2. I'm serious, I A ranked nearly ALL of it. I raised a chao to maximum powar. It was the last game before the dark years I truly enjoyed. But the writing and the tone was just so darn lame. Like what 90's teens thought 'deep and edgy' was.

Honestly the story coulda worked if it wasn't a freakin' Sonic the Hedgehog game. He was the most out of place thing in that 'story', if not for the gameplay that made him relevant. And Shadow being another random bug eyed mutant hedgehog, which brings me to another annoying point about those games:

Humans in a Sonic game. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhh. Could they maybe explain why 3 feet tall multi-coloured anthropomorphic animals running around doing things is NORMAL in this world. Or if not. Just... don't go there. Seriously. Suspension of disbelief is shattered when you start doing that and expect us to just swallow it.

I will defend the gameplay, and enjoy-ability of SA2 to my dying breath but just don't imply that a Sonic game has ever been 'well written'. It hasn't happened. And I'd rather they move forward and try something new-er than go back to that.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The first Sonic game i've been interested in since... ever, and it's average!?... oh well.