Sonic Lost World Review - Beauty Is Only Quill Deep

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
The controls are bad? How? I've not played it, understand that, but this reviewer isn't backing up what that means. The pad controller feels wrong? How? How about the Wiimotes, do those work better? Worse? At all? Are the layouts awkward? Too much to press? What do you mean by sluggish and old? How is old bad in this case?

I'm also sick of reading conformation bias comments. I saw it for the last Sonic game, and it was pretty good by my estimation. If it sucks fine, but cut it out guys. You're just parroting internet personalities more successful than you that HAVE been around the track when most of you either haven't ever played a Sonic game, good or bad, or just prefer Mario most of the time.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
lithiumvocals said:
Do people still care about Sonic? Does anyone legitimately care?
The crap load of fan art I have to wade through when I need references for some things and see things that cannot be unseen says yes.

People care. ...Almost waaaaay too much. There's a reason Sonic games perpetuate such fervor and drama.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Meh, I'm not gonna put much stock in this (or any) reviews. The mainstream press just doesn't jive with Sonic, and that's okay, and so I'm going to try out the game regardless.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
HalloHerrNoob said:
At this point hoping for a good sonic game is like hoping to win in the loterie...it may happen, but chances are very, very, very, very, very very, very, very, very, very very, very, very, very, very low.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/sonic-colors

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sonic-generations

The last two main series entries were critically well received. They're not getting the near-perfect scores the Mega Drive games got, but they did well.

Lost World has also gotten its share of positive reviews, they're just outweighed by the middling ones.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
JonB said:
Sonic Lost World Review - Beauty Is Only Quill Deep

Pretty visuals don?t do enough to spice up the tired old hedgehog.

Read Full Article
I'm a little confused. Can you please clarify why you seem to be equating "unresponsive controls?" with "old?" I don't remember the original Sonic the Hedgehog having clunky controls. I remember it being fast and my character responding INSTANTLY whenever I hit the jump button. Sonic Adventure was maybe a little floaty, but by far the camera was a bigger problem than the controls, which felt solid and responsive at the time.

Certianly, I can think of older games that had slow, clunky, awkward, or just plain BAD controls. Dragon's Lair. Resident Evil 1. Lots of old horror games, really. But ALL old games did not suffer from slow, unresponsive controls. Especially not old Sonic games. So help me out here.

What old games' controls does Lost World remind you of, exactly? Or what awesome new games (sonic or otherwise) gave us innovative new control schemes that would have served us better here?

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Sega, I just want my 2d sonic back. I tell you what, remember that Sonic game on DS with Blaze showing up for the first time? all 2d platforming and 3d ONLY in bossfights, which was usually superficial 3d? that worked fine! let's try that on the big boy consoles ok? please? Sega, please?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I have this on the 3DS and I'm genuinely not getting what this largely negative feedback is, I've got plenty of Sonic games in the "burn rather than play pile"...okay most of them seem to land there, but these crazy reviews directly comparing Sonic to Mario or saying this isn't a platfromer for this era make 0 sense.
Mario has always been different than Sonic in level design especially, so you can't really compare them since their ideas are very different.
Now a modern day platformer? There aren't many of those and this really does hold up. There's a learning curve, going to have to learn to play, would we prefer what Mario's been doing with the New Mario Bros games? Same game, barely any changes over what 4 games? Or do we like it when new things are tried like 3D Land and Galaxy, Generations and Lost World.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
CAPTCHA: save face

Huh...rather appropo Captcha there...

You know...I actually was expecting the Metcritic scores to just be a kneejerk reaction to Sega telling the fans that they can do whatever they want in regards to the Archie Comic (which is true) and the fans can't do anything about it. (Which is only PARTLY true.) But, it's a shame to see that the gameplay was indeed actually shite.

Actually...I've heard tell that instead of the Sonic franchise dying, it should instead be bought out by someone who can do good by it. Nintendo's the obvious choice, seeing as how the rivalry between them and Sega in the past actually helped BOTH companies for a while. Nowadays, I could actually see Nintendo succeeding in figuring out ways to help Sonic succeed where Sega is failing. Heck...Nintendo got their main man Mario to branch out into puzzle, racing, and even RPGs with some success, whereas Sega's attempts in the same genres have been...meh. Perhaps Nintendo could help do the same for Sega and show them how it's SUPPOSED to be done.

Who knows? Maybe Nintendo could even convince Sega to leave the comic alone in terms of the writing and let Ian Flynn do what he does best, especially since people did like his "Sonic Other-M" fancomic whereas Sega has demostrated that they cannot write their way out of a wet paper bag with an acid tipped titanium stylus.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Just played the demo, thinking of picking it up, seems like a solid buy for my new Wii U :D