Sonic Mania - New Official 16-Bit Nostalgic Sonic Game - SEGA FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
SONIC MOTHERFUCKING MANIA

It took 20ish years, a whole lot of hit and miss 3D games, and fans repeatedly asking for it. But it is here. Sonic the Hedgehog is back and Sega is delivering this long-awaited fan-service. Please discuss the game, what you want, and what you think lead to Sega making this.
Please attempt to resist...

mmnnn...~ I'm gonna...~~~

~~~NOSTALGIAS EVERYWHERE~~~

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Hmmm... Doesn't look shabby at all. If it stands up to scrutiny post-release, I just might get it, and I'm not even much of a Sonic fan.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saw it just a few minutes ago. Can't wait to see more. Maybe we can get a new Vectorman or Comix Zone while we're at it.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Watching a Live Stream. Lego Sonic has been confirmed non-jokingly as a character for Lego Dimensions.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Sonic Generations 2 was just hinted at for 2017 release in the livestream though not outright name-dropped so the name may be something else.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Ezekiel said:
Sonic CD was mediocre. Why are they using Sonic 1 AGAIN instead of the better looking, better controlling Sonic 2 and 3?
Yeah, the trailer explained itself poorly in that regard, but from leaked gameplay it seems to control the same as 2 and 3 with the Spin Dash rather than the rather dull Sonic from 1.

OT: Wait... What? What is this? Sonic in a good 2d game? A Generations sequel to top it all off? Am I dreaming or Sega actually seems to be on the right track with Sonic for once?
Now if they could only release a new Streets of Rage...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I look forward to the same criticisms Sonic 4 had, that it is too new, or not new enough.

Personally, I will hold off before I get any hyped at all. Plus, though Sonic 2 is the first game that I ever cracked out on ever, I still want a true Sonic Adventure 3 more than anything. Oh well.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Sega's history with the franchise makes me skeptical about this

Then the part of me that loved the old Sonic games drowns out that skepticism OMG THIS LOOKS SO GOOD!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm a sad puppy right now.

I saw Sonic Mania, and thought "bloody hell, they're playing the retro card again? What happened to looking forward?"

Then I saw the trailer for Sonic 2017 and thought "bloody hell, they're really trying to amp this up? Is Sonic really the character to exist in this kind of setting?"

And thus I realized that I'm the worst kind of Sonic fan - I don't know what I want!

At the least, I'm not too vocal about it, so there's that I guess. :(

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Not exactly a Sonic fan, but I really like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, 3 & Knuckles, and I always hoped they could capture that aggressive attitude in the art style and music again.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Did anyone see Jim Sterling's video about the reveal show? Because hot damn, is that sad to watch.

I mean... it's not even funny, it's so bad.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Cautiously optimistic for both this and "Project Sonic", although considering the talent behind this one, I have more belief that this one will be great.

Gamerpalooza

Sep 26, 2014
I wish they would keep this formula and just make small changes to accommodate the other characters unique traits.

Would like to see a in this format that takes advantage of Amy's hammer.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
GameSpot just got some solid HD gameplay footage.

Also here's full audio of in order the Title Screen theme, the Invincibility theme, and Studiopolis Zone.

Additionally here's the full audio of the song from the trailer called "Checkpoint".

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
2-D sidescrolling Sonic? With new visuals? Classic levels? So basically taking half of Generations and making it into a game? I'm okay with this. Not sure I'm willing to spend $60 on it, but I can certainly see picking it up.

Also, Knuckles and Tails as playable characters! What black magic is this? Will they do Super Sonic right? Honestly, they screwed him up in Generations (one of my few criticisms of Generations).

Epyc Wyn said:
GameSpot just got some solid HD gameplay footage.

That track on the title screen doesn't appeal to me. Something sounds a bit abrasive about it.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Huh, I think this is the first time in over two decades I find myself interested in Sonic.

Loved the Streets of Rage storefront in Studiopolis Zone, too.