Sonic Returns to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Sonic Returns to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

SEGA celebrates two decades of Sonic the Hedgehog with a new balloon for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

For all of you non-American readers out there, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade [http://www.magicbulletmedia.com/MNR/MacysParade/] is an annual event that not only celebrates Thanksgiving; but also, in theory, marks the beginning of the Christmas season. It sees hundreds of dancers, musicians and other celebrities make their way through the streets of New York, flanked by ornate floats and a fleet of giant balloon characters culled from the annals of pop culture. It's good wholesome fun and, despite the money involved, the event organizers don't take themselves too seriously. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-hNMJvcyI]

Sonic's modern incarnation, as seen in the recently released Sonic Generations, will be making an appearance at this year's parade. The picture to the right was taken during a test flight in New Jersey.

This is the second version of the oddly-colored hedgehog to bless the parade with his inflated presence. In 1993, at the height of his fame, the classic version [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWEzxtIAm98] of Sonic was the first videogame character to be included in the parade. His glory was short lived, however, as midway through the event a heavy gust of wind caused the inflatable Sonic to career off-course before crashing into a lamppost and injuring an off-duty policeman.

You'll be able to see the, hopefully properly secured, new Sonic balloon, alongside the newly introduced Julius [http://www.paulfrank.com/home.php] the monkey and Aflac duck [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKZTcKS9Uw] balloons, in action when the parade starts on Nov 24th.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Awwww, I was hoping they'd be reusing the old one. This is still pretty neat though. I actually have a vague memory of watching the parade when I was about 4 and freaking out when I saw Sonic among the floats.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Grey Carter said:
His glory was short lived, however, as midway through the event a heavy gust of wind caused the inflatable Sonic to career off-course before crashing into a lamppost and injuring an off-duty policeman.
Careered off course? Is that anything like careening? ;) Anyway, I can't say I blame Sonic for trying to get to the lamppost. They are his checkpoints after all (and searching on YouTube shows a news report where they said the the policeman and child that the balloon injured were just fine, so no I don't feel bad making that joke).

Anyway, I wonder how many people will complain to Macy's or whoever about how it's modern Sonic and his legs are too long and he's not chubby enough and his eyes shouldn't be green or whatever.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Grey Carter said:
His glory was short lived, however, as midway through the event a heavy gust of wind caused the inflatable Sonic to career off-course before crashing into a lamppost and injuring an off-duty policeman.
Careered off course? Is that anything like careening? ;)
?vb
5. (intr) to move swiftly along; rush in an uncontrolled way

Yes. :)

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Hell yes. My eyes are swelling with fanboy pride at the sight of that float. Now wheres the big Daddy ballon?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Wow,this is a great way to celebrate Sonic Generations coming out and all,but Sonic hasn't been completely revived yet...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Alphakirby said:
Wow,this is a great way to celebrate Sonic Generations coming out and all,but Sonic hasn't been completely revived yet...
Its the first multi-platform release for a Sonic title that has not been completely destroyed by critics in years. Let SEGA have their small victory :p

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Anyway, I wonder how many people will complain to Macy's or whoever about how it's modern Sonic and his legs are too long and he's not chubby enough and his eyes shouldn't be green or whatever.
It's unlikely you'd find someone named 'Edison' signing that petition, actually...Still, last time Retro Sonic was a balloon, he went completely crazy. Now he's older, he'll be responsible enough not to do that. Trying to put Retro Sonic back would only cause something similar.

OT: I'll have to hope someone puts it on Youtube so I can see how it looks in action.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Fappy said:
Awwww, I was hoping they'd be reusing the old one. This is still pretty neat though. I actually have a vague memory of watching the parade when I was about 4 and freaking out when I saw Sonic among the floats.
Don't worry, this new one has a much better chance of seriously injuring somebody. And with modern materials he won't stop at just one anymore.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Fappy said:
Alphakirby said:
Its the first multi-platform release for a Sonic title that has not been completely destroyed by critics in years. Let SEGA have their small victory :p
Fine,they can have their balloon...FOR NOW

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ghengis John said:
Fappy said:
Don't worry, this new one has a much better chance of seriously injuring somebody. And with modern materials he won't stop at just one anymore.
He already developed a thirst for blood... MY GOD!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Fappy said:
Ghengis John said:
Fappy said:
He already developed a thirst for blood... MY GOD!
Kudos to you sir. Funny.

Jan 27, 2011
Grey Carter said:
He obviously got distracted by the chili dog the cop was probably holding. :p

Alphakirby said:
Colors had already given me great hope for the future. Generations cemented it. I think he's back. Now he just needs to maintain his current speed and balance, and he is A-Ok for a while longer.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I thought that we were supposed to protest this balloon because it would defile Sonic's good name.
Oh wait.... that was the stupid thread.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh god, prepare the stupid shields everyone, we all know what to expect.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Wow, I'm suprised! Its been a long time since I've seen Sonic with an expression other than the "I'm a douche" look he's had for over a decade.

He actually looks friendly here!

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Oh No its the end of the world. I hope EternalNothingness shows up so he make more threads about sonic
Just start talking about Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and he slowly disappears. I'm also expecting him to make a guest appearance.

OT: No thanksgiving here, so I can't really appropriately answer, but GG sonic I guess?