BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gotta say, I kind of like this movie's poster

Basically the Sonic 2 box art, albeit Hollywooded up a bit, probably on orders from some executive producer so they can feel like they matter creatively rather than just be a walking piggy bank.
In the movie poster, Paramount even uses the old Sega slogan "Welcome to the Next Level" found in Sega Genesis and Saturn commercials. This is how you do a proper homage and call back.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Lol, the post-credits scene leaked. Spoilers, obviously

OW! THE! EDGE!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Double toasted gave this a matinee rating overall. Martin gave it a high matinee, and Korey gave it a low matinee. If I do see this, I'll probably see it on my day off next week. I'll go to a morning showing.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Double toasted gave this a matinee rating overall. Martin gave it a high matinee, and Korey gave it a low matinee. If I do see this, I'll probably see it on my day off next week. I'll go to a morning showing.

What does a matinee rating mean in their case?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A matinee means the movie is good overall, but has some flaws people might have issues with. Not exactly full price, but worth seeing a movie at a matinee price. Basically, see the movie at an early showing where the ticket sales are cheaper. Though for me personally, I rarely ever pay full price for any movie I am seeing in theaters. I always go to a morning show or early afternoon show. I got stuff do. Evenings are special occasions.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well if it means what I think it means, the recommendation is to go on the day where all tickets are discounted. My local cinema for example, all tickets $8.50 on Tuesdays so if I were inclined to see Sonic based on that review, that's the day I'd go.

Reactions: BrawlMan
K

ko11b

Didn't know sonic was still around as most haven't touched it since it's original form of Sega Dreamcast

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) - This movie is better and improved, but there are some pacing issues. Let me get the bad out of the way right now. Most of the wedding scenes could have been cut down, and we would lose 15 minutes of nothing total. It leads to a twist/punchline that could have been done without it. For those not into Sonic lore from the games: the wedding is a sting operation from the black ops section of the government, G.U.N. The organization from Sonic Adventure 2. The wedding scenes don't go on for that long, but it's still a black mark of nothingness. They go a little overboard with the pop culture references in the first part of the film, and they could have used more music from the games. I don't want to hear "modern" pop songs from the 2010s, nor do I need to hear good rap songs from the 90s (as much as I love the selection they play). The orchestral tracks do their job, but work some songs from the games. They had a perfect chance to do a snippet or remix of Ice Cap Zone!

Now for the good. I am glad they were able to get Tails' current voice actor (Colleen O'Shaughnessey) from the games (Sonic Unleashed to right now). When the Sonic and Tails interact with each other, it's some of my favorite parts of the movie. There are plenty of funny and heartwarming moments. It makes me wish they could have built up their partnership a little more, but the finale when they all team up with Knuckles makes up for it. Speaking of which, Idris fucking nails it! His early characterization of Knuckles is spot on, while mixing in some moments of SA1&2 and modern Knuckles. Please bring him back!

The action is more elaborate and gets better. S2 got really creative with the how the characters fight and interact with their environment. The finale is practically Sonic Heroes. In fact, this movie is a combination of Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Adventure 2 (Shadow is teased for Sonic 3). The finale is awesome, and some the best 40 minutes left in a live-action video game adaption! I have no idea how they're gonna top that, nor will I blame them not trying. I do hope Amy and Rouge show up in 3. If only one, then let it be Amy.

Sonic 2 (2022) is definitely an improved sequel, but I will give the first movie having better pacing. If the first movie is a C+, then this movie sits at a B+. I would give higher, if they took out the wedding scenes. Hopefully with the 3rd movie coming out in 2024, they'll learn from their mistakes, and hopefully have Sonic and the gang be in their world for most of the movie. At the very least tone down the pop-culture references and not focusing on a sub-plot for a side character no one cares about! On the movie adaption scale, S2 sits a little above Rampage (2018), and halfway between it and MK'95.

A quick ramble: I don't what it was with the critics at the time, but I do not know why they keep comparing this movie to Marvel films (usually in a positive comparison). These movies are nothing like them and do their own thing (outside of Sonic making a Winter Soldier reference). When I last checked, an action-adventure film leading to an ancient temple with magical jewels was something not invented by Marvel, nor the MCU. That's a tale as old as time itself! I admit this version of Sonic comes off as super-lite Deadpoolish, but that was more so the first movie. Even then, only barely. Get your head out of your ass film critics. Not everything should be compared, nor make an analogy to the MCU. Let films be their own thing and stop making comparison that makes no sense. Thank you.

Last edited: