Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man Join Forces

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man Join Forces

Archie Comics will publish a massive 12-part series on The Blue Bomber and the Blue Blur.

Crossovers are an odd phenomena in geekdom. Born from the desire to briefly merge stories and fictional universes owned by rival companies, a properly handled crossover can produce results that are just as memorable as the original franchises themselves. Aliens Vs Predator and Marvel Vs Capcom became huge hits thanks to this process, and now Archie Comics thinks it can get in on the crossover game. Having already licensed the comic book rights to Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog and Capcom's Mega Man, Archie Comics has gone a step further and brokered a deal for a 12-part storyline that will bring the two gaming legends together for the first time.

The entire event will be penned by Ian Flynn, who already writes the Sonic and Mega Man books for Archie Comics. "I'm already living the dream by writing the Sonic titles," Flynn said. "Then I got to live the other dream of writing for Mega Man. With that many dreams being handed to me, I figured it was only a matter of time."

Flynn is taking the story very seriously, as series editor Paul Kaminski discovered when he brought Flynn onto a project that would make any fanfiction writer salivate. "His response was, 'I have been writing that story since we began the Mega Man title,'" Kaminski said. "Of course, I thought he was joking, but not an hour later my inbox was flooded with Sonic/Mega Man story synopses."

Despite the characters coming from different fictional universes, Flynn believes that he can craft a crossover that is true to the characters and the worlds they inhabit. "They're both fun, adventurous and open to everyone," Flynn explained. "They both have heavy sci-fi themes, mainly robotics, underpinning them that give us something to build from and play off each other. That, and they both have mad-scientist nemeses with fabulous mustaches!"

Ultimately, what's most impressive about the entire project is its scope. The story will encompass 12 chapters in the ongoing Mega Man and Sonic comic books, which not only suggests that the story will be canonical to the comic book universes, but also that the story will be bigger than similar crisis events published by DC and Marvel. "Going in, I want this to be the story fans wanted to read - not just our regular comic fans, but fans of both franchises - so we're holding nothing back," Flynn continued. "Who knows when the stars will align and we'll get another chance to do something like this again, so I'm making sure this is the end-all, be-all crossover."

While the success of the project isn't guarenteed, the last time I read an Archie Comics crossover was the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Meets_the_Punisher>Archie Meets The Punisher one-shot, a silly yet less-risky project in comparison. If Archie Comics is willing to take a gamble on a big project that, at worst, will get the attention to two huge fanbases, who am I to judge? The storyline will begin in 2013, giving Flynn and Archie Comics plenty of time to flesh things out and reveal more details.

Sources: <a href=http://www.archiecomics.com/Blogs/tabid/97/EntryId/864/SONIC-and-MEGA-MAN-Comic-Crossover-Event-Announced.aspx>Archie Comics, <a href=http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-07-10/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Mega-Man-crossover/56118040/1?AID=4992781&PID=4164945&SID=1uatu6vdtku6m>USA Today

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
I saw the news title, assumed it was a game of some sort, and was very excited.

Then I read the article and was first disappointed, because it's not a game, but then kind of still excited... because it's a thing, and besides, how would that game even work?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
This made me smile xD what an awesome cross-over.

I am now reminded of "Scooby Doo meets Batman"...Ahhhhh Childhood <3

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sonic was my first comic series. I haven't read it since Sonic Adventure 2 came out... I haven't heard good things since >.>

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
The Sonic comics were infinitely better than the settings of any of the games, though I'll forgive that with the 2D games because there very seldom is a story to begin with. Honestly though, Sega should go through the comics the next time they want a semi-decent story...so long as the game isn't the rubbish like Sonic 2006 or Heroes or most of the stuff released past Sonic 2.

You know what Megaman should do? Instead of teaming up with Sonic...why not have him appear in MOTHER FUCKING MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3?!
'Tis but a dream

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Ian Flynn is one of the best writers Archie Sonic has had in a very long time. I'm excited to read this.

DVS BSTrD said:
Co-op: Mega-Man shots Sonic out of his arm canon.
Fastball Special.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
This is going to FAIL and you know it. Capcom's effectively shelved Megaman, why should this succeed? Or is this one of those fate-tempting tries at resurrecting the blue demoman?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well darn. By the looks of the article's title, I was hoping we were going to get the hardest Sonic game to date.

Or the easiest Mega Man to date.

But yeah, I don't really read too many comics. But I might keep an eye out for this.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
This is going to FAIL and you know it. Capcom's effectively shelved Megaman, why should this succeed? Or is this one of those fate-tempting tries at resurrecting the blue demoman?
I would like to show you this.

I have spotted Megaman. Have you?

<youtube=uMcMpAc1Ppg>

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
The Sonic Archie comics are creepy to me, so I'm not interested. Were this a game, I figure I'd be much more curious.

captcha: bath water

MoD1212

Feb 2, 2010
Really excited about this, I love both games and haven't read Archie comics in a minute so I'm down. This also reminds me of a old flash movie I saw on newgrounds back in the game with megaman and sonic. I don't know how to embed ng movies so I'll just leave the link

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/190268

It's from a while ago so the flash work isn't mind-blowing but its a good watch.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Cid SilverWing said:

<youtube=uMcMpAc1Ppg>
But Megaman IS shelved. Now he is only used for characters in Fighters and cross company games and games that have nothing to do with his story.

Plus that is X. Not classic Megaman.
Also. Megaman and Sonic? YES! That would be so awesome. And now I must post this.

Eggman and Wily teaming up? YEEEEEESSSSS!!!!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Awww, I was hoping this was a game! That would have been awesome :(

Spot1990 said:
So am I the only who thinks that picture makes it look like there's a bed just out of the shot with Sonic and Mega Man boning in it?
I do now :/

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
saintdane05 said:
Cid SilverWing said:

<youtube=uMcMpAc1Ppg>

<youtube=cAUfyCz-BGU>

Gameplay and Idea seems to be highly similar to this game here...

partnered characters, fighting game combat system yet is a turn based RPG - Crossover...

Regardless I Squeed when I saw Kite and Blackrose :3