Sonic the Hedgehog Is Now Available on Apple TV

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Sonic the Hedgehog Is Now Available on Apple TV

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1298/1298905.png

The classic Sega game has been made available on Apple TV starting today, with its sequels soon to follow.

There are few games more universally beloved than the Sonic the Hedgehog series, which has spanned across nearly a dozen systems (or maybe more) and over twice as many games since it was first released on the Sega Genesis in 1991. The entire franchise has sold over 335 million copies to date, and has recently been greenlit for a live-action/animation hybrid [http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/655661-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-dated-for-2018#/slide/1] feature film due out in 2018.

For many of us boring adults who've been forced to trade in our Sega consoles for stamps, however, the idea of playing Sonic in its full glory is one that has long since dissipated.

Thankfully, Sega has made it possible for us to feel like kids once again, releasing an updated version of the game available on Apple TV earlier today. As a press release sent out by Sega states:

Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.

This re-mastered mobile version of the SEGA Genesis classic features the full "Sonic The Hedgehog" game.

And not only that, but Sega and Apple will be teaming up to bring even more Sonic games to the Apple TV in the coming weeks. On March 24, Sonic The Hedgehog 2 will launch on tvOS, and Sonic CD will be available for download on March 31st.

You can purchase Sonic the Hedgehog at the tvOS App Store for just $2.99 today. Users who have already purchased Sonic the Hedgehog on iOS will also be able to play the game on the 4th generation Apple TV free of charge.

Suffice it to say, it looks like our weekends have been pretty much planned out for us.

Source: EnGadget [http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/17/sonic-apple-tv/]

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
On the Apple TV? Seriously? What are you supposed to use for a controller?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nooners said:
On the Apple TV? Seriously? What are you supposed to use for a controller?
I expect the announcement of something suitable, plastic, white and very expensive will be made shortly. Or a usb Type-C controller adapter that costs $90.

Or use the remote for the most optimal experience possible, it does have enough buttons to play Sonic 1 on it at least.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
That's pretty cool, I guess.

JaredJones said:
There are few games more universally beloved than the Sonic the Hedgehog series
...I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
American Fox said:
Dr. Robotnik. The evil transformation of Dr. Kintobor. Does no one remember this?
*Raises hand.*

That said, Kintobor was an American concept that found life in the Fleetaway comic series, the original promotional comic, and some of the Ladybird storybooks. Eggman was always his original name.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
American Fox said:
Dr. Robotnik. The evil transformation of Dr. Kintobor. Does no one remember this?
I do, I used to buy the UK comics every 2 weeks when I was a kid with my allowance, they were really good, still have most of em.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Hawki said:
American Fox said:
*Raises hand.*

That said, Kintobor was an American concept that found life in the Fleetaway comic series, the original promotional comic, and some of the Ladybird storybooks. Eggman was always his original name.
Dr Robotnik was the US localisation teams naming for the character back when they were gearing up for release because they thought Eggman sounded dumb, however since SA1 it's been brought into the actual canon as h is real name, as the japanese team liked it an adpoted it, moving Eggman to be his nickname adopted as a sort of "fuck you" to Sonic.

SmaMan

Nov 23, 2013
JaredJones said:
For many of us boring adults who've been forced to trade in our Sega consoles for stamps, however, the idea of playing Sonic in its full glory is one that has long since dissipated.
Except for the digital versions available on Wii, WiiU, Xbox360, PS3, PS4, Steam, and pretty much every other digital storefront known to man.

Heck, there's even the version on iOS you mentioned at the end of the article!

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
This isn't news, Sonic 1 has been ported to pretty much everything now. It's like Doom, just that the ports are official releases.