Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer dropped.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009

For realsies, it doesn't seem to be awful. Ok, no, can't say that with a straight face.

It does look all kinds of awful, but they got Jim Carrey to play Robotnik, and he's doing his silly faces. Dude's seriously good at those. Movies have basically been carried entirely on the merits of his plasticine visage before.

Anyway, now opening the floor for you to heap on the praise and/or vitriol. Go!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
This looks exactly like something that would have been made 10 years ago an been forgotten about 9 years and 11 months ago.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Why? Sonic hasn't had a good game for over a decade, the stories are cartoonish and don't lend themselves to live action, and the mascot is dropping out of popular culture. And doesn't he have various anthropomorphic animal friends?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Even if Sonic himself didn't look like an overly organic CGI monstrosity, this would still be the most boardroom approved garbage.

Ugh, I can't get Sonic's shapely, furry legs out of my mind. It's seared into my brain now.

Way to make the Detective Pikachu movie look 10 times better than it actually does.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
Even if Sonic himself didn't look like an overly organic CGI monstrosity, this would still be the most boardroom approved garbage.

Ugh, I can't get Sonic's shapely, furry legs out of my mind. It's seared into my brain now.

Way to make the Detective Pikachu movie look 10 times better than it actually does.
And people thought CGI No-Mustache Superman looked creepy.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Forgot to mention how sorry I feel for James Marsden. Dude always plays second fiddle in every movie he's in, and now he's doing it opposite to.. Sonic the Hedgehog. Poor guy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I didn't know they still made direct to Blockbuster bargain bin movies. I always thought Netflix just bought them up and recast Adam Sandler

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Also, I'll never get over how much Tika Sumpter looks like a girl I had a crush on in 10th grade. It's what made watching Gotham such a painful experience. Well, to be fair, not only that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So, are the smurfs and chipmunks gonna show up also? Cause this totally looks like one of those shit live action movies based on old cartoons, which was only done decently with Scooby Doo.

Also, where the fuck are Tails and Rogue the bat? I really want to see what their interpretation of dual tails and bat boobs would be.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
warmachine said:
Why? Sonic hasn't had a good game for over a decade, the stories are cartoonish and don't lend themselves to live action, and the mascot is dropping out of popular culture. And doesn't he have various anthropomorphic animal friends?
That's a common stereotype but not really an accurate one. Sonic Colors and Generations are generally considered to be pretty good and Forces wasn't quite a trainwreck ala Sonic boom and 06 either. The dark age of Sonic is pretty much over and now its just your average mid tier franchise, albeit with a lot of name recognition and bagage.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The Rogue Wolf said:
Jim, Jim, Jim. Are you really this hard up for money?
He spent it all buying up vaccines to make sure no one could use them.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I went it expecting the worst and it delivered less. Sonic looks so weird. Why did they make this live action instead of animated? Trying to appeal to that adult market that will avoid this like the plague? My god. The only thing I vaguely enjoyed was seeing that they make Jim Carrey look like classic Robotnik, at least in the face, before the end. James Marsden deserves better

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just saw the trailer and it just looks okay. The action sequences look fun at least. I never expected Jim Carrey as Eggman. With that said, this really did not need to be live action. A Sonic movie could have been to 2D or 3D animated and I would have been satisfied with either.

Honestly a big-budget version of this ain't that hard.

Can we stop with the whole the cartoon characters are in the real world thing?Sonic already did that once before in Sonic X. That one didn't exactly pan out too well either. Rocky and Bullwinkle, Smurfs, and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Some others I'm probably forgetting. I think the detective Pikachu movie is going to be better than the Sonic movie. For whatever flaws detective Pikachu might have, it looks like there is more effort put into that than there is a Sonic movie. Likewise I don't think it's going to be the worst thing Sonic franchise has ever encountered. I'd still say that goes to Sonic 2006 and Sonic boom the video game, not the cartoon series.

P.S - Coolio's gangster's Paradise does not belong in a Sonic trailer. I don't care if they're both from the 90s. They could have picked literally any other song from the pantheon of Sonic osts.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Everyone involved in making this film should be fired from everything forever.

warmachine said:
Except Colors, Generations, Lost World, Forces and Mania all exist, but whatever.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Forgot to mention how sorry I feel for James Marsden. Dude always plays second fiddle in every movie he's in, and now he's doing it opposite to.. Sonic the Hedgehog. Poor guy.
It's entirely on him, he keeps playing second banana to anthro CG rodents. Either he's a furry or his agent is.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
The Rogue Wolf said:
Jim, Jim, Jim. Are you really this hard up for money? Or just this bored? Why are you legitimizing this atrocity?
Jim is the best part of this movie.

Been awhile since I have seen Funny Jim Carrey and he still got it.