Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer dropped.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Ah yes, my favourite Crush 40 song is used in the trailer...
Gangsters Paradise
What a perfect track for a blue hedgehog that runs fast and fights robots.

I am fully prepared to chuck this in whatever bin the Angry Birds movie currently resides in.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, didn't see the trailer with sound before because I was still on the job, but man, it's so much worse/better with sound. Also, where's my buttrock. It's not Sonic without annoyingly catchy buttrock. Either that or a Green Hill remix in whatever EDM genre is popular right now.

TrulyBritish said:
Ah yes, my favourite Crush 40 song is used in the trailer...
Agreed, trailer needs more buttrock.

Jan 27, 2011
Nope. Nope nope nope not feeling it.

Everything about this is off. Except that last second frame of eggman looking eggmanny, which I'm convinced will be the post-credits scene and have no bearing on the movie.

I'm not sure what has me scrunching my face up more. Sonic's design, the fact that the US military is important to the plot, the unfunny humor, the fact that sonic apparently has lightning powers, Power Rings being warp portals now for some reason, Gangsta's Paradise being the main track for the movie, or the fact that Sonic is so fast that even when he's standing still tapping his feet he's still so fast that time literally stops.

...Well, still looks better than whatever Monster Hunter The movie is shaping up to be. It's got that going for it at least.

I'm gonna go rewatch that animated "Sonic Racing" thing that SEGA put out to market their kart racer, just to cleanse my palette. At least that one feels faithful to the source material.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I really hope this is an enjoyable train wreck rather than a boring one. Sonic deserves at least a fun pile of shit adaptation.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Can we just stop with the whole "Fictional Character Comes To Our World-The Movie" because this crap was bad since the 80s and no one did this premise correctly ever since.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I do wonder if the movie will reference Chris. And I just found this.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
This thoroughly perplexes me. I wanted to say that Sonic's design was doomed to fail simply because the character's made with chibi proportions, but then I see things like this

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/EdwardPun1/status/1123261756048953344]

And honestly...the version on the right is easier to accept than the one on the left.

Jan 27, 2011
Asita said:
This thoroughly perplexes me. I wanted to say that Sonic's design was doomed to fail simply because the character's made with chibi proportions, but then I see things like this

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/EdwardPun1/status/1123261756048953344]

And honestly...the version on the right is easier to accept than the one on the left.
Pretty much.

When you have something completely alien to our expected perception, trying to stretch it to match our world just makes it look freaky, uncanny, and otherwise messed up.

If Sonic is us usual stocky, oddly proportioned self, we see it and go "Oh, that's some kinda creature that's not from 'round here". It's suitable "other" so we don't have that weird reaction. When we see movie sonic, our brain goes "What the hell is this?! It looks like a child in a fursuit, but not really? Gah, it's weird and freaky, but it's trying to look like us! Not ok!"

.....I think I just reiterated the uncanny valley, but worse than usual. Bah.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
I am convinced that Jim Carrey alone will save this movie, because I miss funny Jim Carrey.
I don't think he will save the movie, but he'll certainly be the best thing about out. Just like Jeremy Irons and the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

This is going to be the same thing.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
There comes a time when you look at a trailer and say to yourself "That's going to bomb hard." And then you wonder why no one in the film's production managed to come to the same conclusion and got out when they still could.

At least we're getting that Emoji Movie sequel

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Marik2 said:
I do wonder if the movie will reference Chris.
Beat you to it.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12993587/1/Boys-in-Blue

Shameless plugging aside, I actually would like that. Practically every incarnation of Sonic has done alternate universe stories, so Chris being present in the setting is something I wouldn't mind, like a cameo or a reference to "Thorndyke Industries" or whatnot. I mean, the cop guy says "SSPD" (Station Square Police Department?), and we've already got the town of Green Hills so...

Sep 28, 2016
All the speculation on this as a focused tested movie online discombobulates me. No focus test group would allow that Sonic design to slip through.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I was without question in the Nintendo camp in the classic console wars. I've never played a Sonic game, have 0 investment in the franchise as a whole... and somehow that trailer is so bad it offends me. That is a pretty impressive feat.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's good to see that Sonic and Super Mario are continuing their rivalry even to this day... in this case for the worst video game adaptation to ever hit the cinemas.

TopazFusion said:
Why does Hollywood seem determined to ruin my childhood. Just why...
That's how I felt when Michael Bay made the first Transformers film.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
OK Escapist, this is the most Clickbaiting article and thumbnail you've ever made. And I hate Clickbait. Delete it:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/30/sonic-the-hedgehog-trailer-is-an-inescapable-nightmare/