Sonic Unleashed: It Could Have Been A Lot Worse

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sonic Unleashed: It Could Have Been A Lot Worse

Most people hated the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed, but at least we didn't get the blinged-out gangstahog.

Yeah, okay, I get it. Nobody liked the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/472-Sonic-Unleashed]. I'm not saying I did. I didn't play the game, though I'll say that I have more of a stomach for franchise butchering and tacked-on God of War rip-off gameplay than most folks and besides have little sentimental attachment to Sega's allegedly once-great blue blur. All I'm saying is: it could have been a lot worse.

Sega just posted [http://www.sonicteam.co.jp/SonicWorldAdventure/hamidashi/2.html] a few pieces of concept art for Sonic Unleashed, which reveals some of the designs for the Werehog that didn't make the cut for the final game. They're all, well, way worse than what we saw in the actual game. There's the Werehog with tiger stripes on its forearms to make it look, uh, fierce, I guess. Then there's the Werehog with some sort of flame patterns all over it that are supposed to be badass probably.

Finally, we've got the vaguely hip-hop Werehog who has chains wrapped all around his limbs and a gigantic lock on his chest (uh, alright...) and, worst of all, the Yeti Werehog. Yep, the thing is covered in thick fur and doesn't even look that intimidating. It's just standing there, it looks sluggish and doesn't really inspire feelings of anything but bewilderment and confusion. In other words, it's not Sonic.

[Via NeoGAF [http://gonintendo.com/?p=73832/]]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Keane Ng said:
It's just standing there, it looks sluggish and doesn't really inspire feelings of anything but bewilderment and confusion.
Surely that describes the direction of Sonic for the last 15 years?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Keane Ng said:
It's just standing there, it looks sluggish and doesn't really inspire feelings of anything but bewilderment and confusion.
Including looking somewhere between male and female in some of those concept art pictures.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Thank you. I was planning on eating soon, and now I've lost my appetite. That's just horrible.

Also, topical [http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/05/the-blog-sega-doesnt-want-you-to-read/] (kinda).

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Keane Ng said:
www.instantrimshot.com

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Ahaha! I'll tell you what, if werehog Sonic was the embedded pic of this article, I would buy 10 copies of this game!

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
In other words, it's not Sonic.
And, um, the werehog... is Sonic?

You know the sad thing? I played the demo of Sonic Unleashed, which was a single level that was just Sonic, running fast and collecting rings through a beautifully-rendered Mediterranean-style city. As someone who fondly remembers the good ol' days playing Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles on the Genesis, they could've made the whole game just like that one level, and it would've been perfect.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
So wait... after all these reviews of the game where Sonic Team is accused of being retarded, they post concept art that just reinforces it all?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Fat fluffy sonic ahaha, okay that would've been at least funny.

No no, anyway yeah ummm Sega are trying to justify their awful plots? Huh?

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
The title was the most thought provoking title of any thread I have ever seen.
I was puzzled as to how Sonic could have been worse but now my question has been answered.

Maybe 50 Cent can work Sonic into his next game.

Jeremy de Guzman

May 19, 2010
-.- ROFL rly its embarassing for sonic ESPICIALLY that its the latest (well 4 now) but the sonic and the black knight is the coolest especially with the sword :D [PWNSOME]

Resurrectionist

Feb 17, 2010
Bought 'Sonic Unleashed' for my 12 year old son because he's an old school Sonic fan.
After 6 hours of game play, he made me return it.
He has never done this before - ever.
Traded it for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

'Unleashed' is the #1 disappointment of any game I have ever bought on any console of any generation.

Why attempt to make excuses?

That mongrel should be put to sleep for violating Leash Laws.