Sony Adds PS2 Cult Classics to PSN

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Sony Adds PS2 Cult Classics to PSN

PSN will soon be home to God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Odin Sphere, and other offbeat favorites.

Cult games used to follow a predictable arc: get released, get mostly ignored, and then slowly fade into obscurity as the fans weep. Digital distribution gives cult hits a second chance chance at life, and Sony wants to do its part to help. On October 4, Sony will launch the "Only on PlayStation Network" initiative, which will wheel out exclusive content and price promotions on a weekly basis. Its first offering will include a number of peculiar PS2 titles, marking the first time that PS2 games will be available for download on PSN.

Susan Panico, senior director of PSN, has promised a selection of "rare classic games," including God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red. Panico did not detail prices for these titles, although gamers who spend $60 on PSN content in October will get $10 towards November content. "Only on PlayStation Network" will also cater to players with newer tastes, promising former PC exclusives like Eufloria and DLC for Sony titles like Infamous 2.

These five titles are currently the only PS2 games revealed for PSN, but that will probably change. Now that Sony has gotten over its initial reluctance to sell PS2 games as downloadable purchases, the "Only on PlayStation Network" promotion might open the floodgates for a whole library of PS2 hits (and near-hits) that gamers missed the first time around, or just want to play again. Expect further information as the promotion gets underway.

Source: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-pushes-psn-exclusives-with-only-on-psn-program/]

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
That's really awesome of them. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised, but pleased. I missed out on some stuff because I just couldn't find them, so this is pretty neat.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
GrimGrimoire was an amazing lesbian Harry Potter type story and the strategy was great too can't wait to play that again
hopefully Dragon Quest VIII, Wild Arms 5, Xenosaga Episode III, Okami, Megaman X Command Missions, and Persona 4 get added to the mix as well :)

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Ok this is cool I have to agree, but one question. Can I play my old PS2 games on my new PS3 (slim model) if they are bringing these on the PSN? I have a lot of PS2 games I would like to play and I don't want my PS2 dying and me not having the PS2 to PS3 adapter thingy

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Another shot at God Hand? Consider me sold Sony, my copy was lost in a house move and it's a bastard to find.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
This is awesome, I've always wanted to get a crack at GrimGrimoire and Odin Sphere, since they were out around the time the 360 was released I missed them.

And Ring of Red? That's one of my favorite games for the PS2 so I'm sold on picking that up, I want it in my collection even if it is a digital copy.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
ill finally get god hand

please add in digital devil saga one day and ill be happy

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
Ring of Red.
Wait, what? I loved this game to death when it came out. Really awesome title, despite the shoddy translation. But it came so early in the PS2's lifecycle, and flew so far under the radar even back then that I often wonder if I'm the only person to have ever played it. Never thought I'd see it get a re-release in any form, but that is great.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
BoredRolePlayer said:
Ok this is cool I have to agree, but one question. Can I play my old PS2 games on my new PS3 (slim model) if they are bringing these on the PSN? I have a lot of PS2 games I would like to play and I don't want my PS2 dying and me not having the PS2 to PS3 adapter thingy
I'm fairly sure PS3s used a special part needed to read and play PS2 games which is something they removed among other things to lower costs, so I guess it's not likely they can't have an update to permit PS2 games on disc becoming playable.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Spend 60 bucks on PSN this month, and get 10 free next month...

Well, that shouldn't be too hard for me. It's even easier when I consider that I still don't have any of the New Vegas DLC.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Lucane said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
I'm fairly sure PS3s used a special part needed to read and play PS2 games which is something they removed among other things to lower costs, so I guess it's not likely they can't have an update to permit PS2 games on disc becoming playable.
They removed the emotion chip so it can't do hardware emulation (Like the Wii does for GameCune Games), but news like this sounds like they are going to implement a form of software emulation (Like the Xbox 360 does for old Xbox games) so maybe it would let us use are old PS2 games. Because I would be miffed having to re-buy and even hoping that the games I do want come out on the PSN, just because they won't do a form of software emulation.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
BoredRolePlayer said:
I don't know what to say, maybe these are not exactly PS2 emulations, maybe they're ports hailed as PS2 games, so that people won't start bitching about HD remakes and trophies. Or, the pigs will start flying and Sony finally came up with a solution for PS2 games on the PS3, although, returning to your initial question, I don't know if they're planning to re-sell PS2 games as exclusive downloadables, or you can finally pop-in PS2 discs and start playing to your hearts content. Or both.

OT: This is great!, this may finally make me buy a PS3 (after so many amazing games that I missed...).

vato_loco

May 24, 2010
Awesome. First games announced and I'm already getting two of them for sure (God Hand and Odin Sphere).

Kidding. I have them for PS2, but I salute Sony for finally fusing the 3 consoles together, sorta.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
BoredRolePlayer said:
Lucane said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
They removed the emotion chip so it can't do hardware emulation (Like the Wii does for GameCune Games), but news like this sounds like they are going to implement a form of software emulation (Like the Xbox 360 does for old Xbox games) so maybe it would let us use are old PS2 games. Because I would be miffed having to re-buy and even hoping that the games I do want come out on the PSN, just because they won't do a form of software emulation.
Trust me I'd love for that to happen I'm in the same boat as you,I'm just saying don't get your hopes to high... the fall can sting a bit.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
I don't know what to say, maybe these are not exactly PS2 emulations, maybe they're ports hailed as PS2 games, so that people won't start bitching about HD remakes and trophies. Or, the pigs will start flying and Sony finally came up with a solution for PS2 games on the PS3, although, returning to your initial question, I don't know if they're planning to re-sell PS2 games as exclusive downloadables, or you can finally pop-in PS2 discs and start playing to your hearts content.

OT: This is great!, this may finally make me buy a PS3 (after so many amazing games that I missed...).
I don't know, I mean most of the games I do own are the ATLUS and NIS(A) games that came out (I even owned GrimGrimoire and Odin Sphere at one point...wasn't to fond of them). And I spend a good 3 years looking for all of the SMT games so I wold be pissed if my PS2 broke and I can't replace them.

But at least it is in the right step I guess

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Silent Hill!... oh, PS2 not PS :(
Silent Hill 2 and 3! The real thing not that Collection BS. Though they probably wont because they didn't include original voices because of right so that would include digital releases.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Lucane said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Lucane said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Trust me I'd love for that to happen I'm in the same boat as you,I'm just saying don't get your hopes to high... the fall can sting a bit.
After Nintendo refusing to localize certain RPGs to the US that people are begging for (The 3 on the Wii that I can't remember at the moment and the Mother games) I'm used to falls on my face like that. Also if I remember right some PS3 models can do software emulation.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Am I the only one who hears "Cult Classic" and immediately assumes we'll be having Kool-Aid with our video games?

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
esperandote said:
Silent Hill!... oh, PS2 not PS :(
Silent Hill 2 and 3! The real thing not that Collection BS. Though they probably wont because they didn't include original voices because of right so that would include digital releases.
I think you can already get Silent Hill on PSN. It's in the PSOne Classics section.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
About time Sony

I felt there was a huge resource of games Sony was not tapping into for the PSN market.

Hopefully many of these titles are PSP or PS Vita compatible as well.