Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen - All Of It

While it doesn't say much about what exactly happened, a new update to the PlayStation Network disaster reveals that somebody, somewhere, managed to break into the system and get hold of your private information - all of it.

If you're reading this, then you're almost certainly aware that over the past week, Sony's PlayStation Network has been suffering some new status update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109514-Sony-Admits-External-Forces-Brought-Down-PSN], Sony revealed that PlayStation Network and Qriocity user data has in fact been compromised. And not just your PSN ID.

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID," Sony's Patrick Seybold wrote in a message being sent to all registered PSN account holders. "It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

"If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," he continued. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

In other words, not to put too fine a point on it, whoever broke into Sony's systems got everything - everything. At this point, the situation appears to have shifted from a dispassionately amusing debacle to an absolute balls-out train wreck, certainly not helped by the fact that Sony may have sat on this information for nearly a full week before letting the public know just how badly it was compromised.

Sony advised PSN members to pay special attention to their credit card account statements and other related information, be alert for email, telephone and postal scams and change all passwords as soon as possible, which is to say, whenever Sony gets the PSN working again. It also regrets any inconvenience.

And it ain't over yet, folks. We'll keep you posted.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I'll just watch my bank records closely for a few months, change my card, and change my PSN password when I get online. I'll change my Netflix and e-mail passwords, too. Just to be safe. Since they were the same as my PSN password.

The rest of the info is pretty much public domain, anyway.

I still fail to see how being hacked is Sony's fault. They got hacked. And it's not like we know the details of the security systems that were in place, either. It couldn't have been an easy hack, though.

Now...if they've been withholding information and knew this was stolen last week...that's a dick move and Sony's at fault for not informing us ASAP.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
This is precisely why I hate hackers, if any money goes missing from my account then I'll raise hell. Pathetic that an awful lot of people get inconvenienced because someones probably seen too many Die Hard or Matrix movies.

Cyan.

May 10, 2010
Sweet mother of Odin.

Change them credit card numbers boys and girls.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Wow ... This is just horrendous. They waited a week to tell anyone this, the flippin' idiots ... I dont know how PS3 "fanboys" can even attempt to rectify this. I heard arguments saying that it was "Free" and as such "Shouldnt complain its down" but just because its free doesnt mean people should lose credit card information.

I cant even come up with any idea how Sony are going to make this up to their customers.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Oh wow, ahaha. I posted this literally 2 minutes before you got to it. Oh well, at least it's on the news roster now.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
My only reaction can be this: HOLY SHIT.

I am so happy this isn't Microsoft right now. I feel sorry for the PSN users. I really do. If I was on PSN I'd be freaking out. Call your banks. Get your card numbers changed.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
Well said.

Absolute fail on Sony's part as far as security is concerned, but the "hacker" scene and their supporters are the ones really to blame here. It's alas probably an idle hope these criminals will get caught and get their just deserts (death penalty preceded by torture would be nice).

Gonna have to cancel my creditcard I guess :(

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I am so glad I don't do PSN/XBL/ETC.

But seriously, this sucks. I thought it was just kind of sad at first, but now... wow. This isn't even amusing anymore, it's just awful.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Nice secure system there Sony. Way to fuck up. At least RRoD only killed your system and didn't give out all your information at the same time.

Oh and I am still supporting the people who did this. How do you leave such a glaring issue in the system without fixing it? Thats asking for trouble. At least now Sony has to get their system together. If it didn't happen now, it was going to somewhere down the line and Sony still would have done nothing about it until then. Great company.

Sebster 105

Feb 27, 2011
I still think it's the retards at Anon
and to think a fortnight ago they were all "We're on your side, really"

I know Anon said it wasn't them but who buys that?

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Awexsome said:

You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
A balls-out train wreck is the worst kind of train wreck....

Oh and the lesson here kiddies is that if you give any data to anyone for any reason there is a chance it will be compromised.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Cyan. said:
Sweet mother of Odin.

Change them credit card numbers boys and girls.
I've already been hit with identity theft once this year, I don't need this shit again.

Seriously Sony? You really fucked up big time with this thing. Honestly I can't properly express my anger via text about this.
I sincerely hope they don't mess up this hard again.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Well, this sucks hard, its sucks for Sony but mostly for the users. I dont have a PS3 but some of my friends have so I am going to tell them about this since they arent as nerd as me to watch news related to gaming. ._.