Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
PS3 owners deserve to treat their system like their PC without getting dragged into court
No, they don't get to. Deal with it.

Because a few bad apples spoils the bunch. A sad truth but look what happened here. Blame the people who would exploit it if Sony opened the doors to everyone, not Sony for trying to protect everyone's security.
Yes. they do. It's a computer, people have a right to look into how their computers work at the code level and talk about it. If they want so much control over people's property, then they can charge less for it or lease it for 10 bucks a month.

Just because people make viruses for PCs doesn't mean software engineers should be thrown in prison for figuring out and sharing how the window OS works, and you don't see car companies dragging car enthusiasts into court for cracking their car computer to tweak performance.

So yea, Sony isn't special and they're no different than any other hardware manufacturer. Deal with that. Damn kids are being brainwashed into defending some corporate bully who can't even encrypt their customer data. Not even banks let hackers get away with the entire database and they're hacked all the time.
You ever think things are better now? That they don't give people permission to do whatever they want?

It only pisses off a very small amount as most people get what they want from the functionality provided. You ever think that maybe the old ways were worse? Sure the people who love customization take a hit but its a small price to pay for the added security.

I'm not going to convince someone that has lived their entire life thinking that freedom is a given when given a new piece of technology but the times have changed.
I'm not giving up dick because some company can't do what every other damn company does and MAKE A PATCH when they discover someone found an exploit. You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.

Fuck that and fuck them. They can't punish people because they screw up and don't move fast enough to fix it like every other company out there. Apple doesn't prosecute jailbreakers, they just update the firmware.
Of course. Lazy corporate bastards.

Y'know they're not evil bad guys. As much as you lie to yourself they aren't actively trying to screw you over. They're trying to do what's best for everyone and the people who want stuff like you want are an extreme minority now.

I know you want to think that you're preaching one of the last hopes of a rapidly decaying videogame industry but you're not. You're just someone with another opinion.

If you were trying to run a business with unknown number of hackers always trying to be a step ahead of you and steal your products or ruin your services for their own personal gains what would you do? Keep fighting the same fight until the end of time? Because your solution isn't realistic or efficient.

If you're just going to be stubborn and only think of them as the "evil corporate bastards" then we're done here.
I call them "Evil corporate bastards" when they act like it, and they certainly are when they punish a guy for just sharing information, when they convince people they don't have any right to do anything with the device they paid hundreds of dollars for simply because they company says so and has the money to bully people who do learn everything about it and expose problems with it instead of using those resources to protect customer data at the most basic levels. They don't care about the customer, only how much control they have over them.

But they are trying to screw everyone over in the days of "profit at all costs", just look at the oppressed communist workers and children they employ to make the devices.
The sharing information and convincing other people not to abuse it are completely exclusive to each other. This is the internet we're talking about. You probably trust Sony about as much as they trust you, a random person on the internet. The kind of person that Geo released that code to.

Releasing the code and saying "Oh, I don't intend any wrong." does NOT dismiss him of the wrong he did.
Yes, it does actually. Having and sharing knowledge, even that which can be used for harmful purposes is not illegal and a basic right in a free society covered by the first amendment. Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to punish people for just knowing something? Besides, it's why Jackass can't get shut off the air when copy cat kids kill themselves recreating a stunt. You've got no clue what you're talking about.

Oh and THE IRONING IS DELICOUS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

The Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal concerns the copy protection measures included by Sony BMG on compact discs in 2005. Sony BMG included the Extended Copy Protection (XCP) and MediaMax CD-3 software on music CDs. XCP was put on 52 titles and MediaMax was put on 50 titles. This software was automatically installed on Windows desktop computers when customers tried to play the CDs. The software interferes with the normal way in which the Microsoft Windows operating system plays CDs by installing a rootkit which creates vulnerabilities for other malware to exploit. This was discovered and publicly revealed by Mark Russinovich on the Sysinternals blog.

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories.

Karma's a *****.
I don't see a connection.

Sony screwed up a while back by making a crappy product that put people at risk. Shame on them.

This somehow makes them responsible for other people committing identity fraud?

Besides considering that rootkey just basic "knowledge" isn't true. Just like how all these people's identity's are just "knowledge" right? The rootkey was Sony's not the consumers to use.

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
Nurb said:
IronStorm9 said:
Nurb said:
IronStorm9 said:
I would just like to put a preemptive stop to all mocking nicknames of Sony. It's really annoying. I don't even own a PS3 and I still think it's stupid to call them Phony or $ony (even though the problem had nothing to do with money). It wasn't funny when people started using M$ as a nickname for Microsoft, and it's not funny now. Thank you.

P.S. I'm not a fanboy of any kind, so I'm not defending either side.

The Sony BMG CD copy protection scandal concerns the copy protection measures included by Sony BMG on compact discs in 2005. Sony BMG included the Extended Copy Protection (XCP) and MediaMax CD-3 software on music CDs. XCP was put on 52 titles and MediaMax was put on 50 titles. This software was automatically installed on Windows desktop computers when customers tried to play the CDs. The software interferes with the normal way in which the Microsoft Windows operating system plays CDs by installing a rootkit which creates vulnerabilities for other malware to exploit. This was discovered and publicly revealed by Mark Russinovich on the Sysinternals blog.

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories
Way to totally misinterpret what I said. I'm not on any side, I just want people to stop calling Sony stupid nicknames. Or was all you read the part where I said that the problem wasn't about money?
I'm saying they deserve some mocking for acting like hypocrits
I don't care if they deserve it or not. My problem is that people think they're being clever by replacing a company's name with a pejorative word or replacing a letter with a dollar sign to imply that the company is greedy. They're not that clever and it's not funny. I'm not debating right or wrong here.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Awexsome said:
Nurb said:
Ha, way
Awexsome said:
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Awexsome said:
Good ol' hackers. Fighting for your consumer rights against the evil corporation that takes away your rights...

Oh wait they have been douchebags the whole time in this case. Nevermind. Fuck you Geohotz for probably causing all this by releasing that code. If not then you certainly encouraged it.
You mind explaining how a hack to run homebrew code on your PS3 enabled the entire security of the PSN to be compromised? Sony's horrendous security is at fault here, not hackers playing homebrew code.
The PSN was obviously prepared for stuff like this to happen before hence no massive issues like this yet.

It wasn't prepared to deal with hackers potentially having the end all be all code that jailbreaks the PS3.
PS3 owners deserve to treat their system like their PC without getting dragged into court
No, they don't get to. Deal with it.

Because a few bad apples spoils the bunch. A sad truth but look what happened here. Blame the people who would exploit it if Sony opened the doors to everyone, not Sony for trying to protect everyone's security.
Yes. they do. It's a computer, people have a right to look into how their computers work at the code level and talk about it. If they want so much control over people's property, then they can charge less for it or lease it for 10 bucks a month.

Just because people make viruses for PCs doesn't mean software engineers should be thrown in prison for figuring out and sharing how the window OS works, and you don't see car companies dragging car enthusiasts into court for cracking their car computer to tweak performance.

So yea, Sony isn't special and they're no different than any other hardware manufacturer. Deal with that. Damn kids are being brainwashed into defending some corporate bully who can't even encrypt their customer data. Not even banks let hackers get away with the entire database and they're hacked all the time.
You ever think things are better now? That they don't give people permission to do whatever they want?

It only pisses off a very small amount as most people get what they want from the functionality provided. You ever think that maybe the old ways were worse? Sure the people who love customization take a hit but its a small price to pay for the added security.

I'm not going to convince someone that has lived their entire life thinking that freedom is a given when given a new piece of technology but the times have changed.
I'm not giving up dick because some company can't do what every other damn company does and MAKE A PATCH when they discover someone found an exploit. You're a perfect example as how kids are manipulated by these lazy corporate bastards into thinking people need to give up more freedom as technology advances and finding an exploit in the company's hardware is something that needs to be punished.

Fuck that and fuck them. They can't punish people because they screw up and don't move fast enough to fix it like every other company out there. Apple doesn't prosecute jailbreakers, they just update the firmware.
Of course. Lazy corporate bastards.

Y'know they're not evil bad guys. As much as you lie to yourself they aren't actively trying to screw you over. They're trying to do what's best for everyone and the people who want stuff like you want are an extreme minority now.

I know you want to think that you're preaching one of the last hopes of a rapidly decaying videogame industry but you're not. You're just someone with another opinion.

If you were trying to run a business with unknown number of hackers always trying to be a step ahead of you and steal your products or ruin your services for their own personal gains what would you do? Keep fighting the same fight until the end of time? Because your solution isn't realistic or efficient.

If you're just going to be stubborn and only think of them as the "evil corporate bastards" then we're done here.
I call them "Evil corporate bastards" when they act like it, and they certainly are when they punish a guy for just sharing information, when they convince people they don't have any right to do anything with the device they paid hundreds of dollars for simply because they company says so and has the money to bully people who do learn everything about it and expose problems with it instead of using those resources to protect customer data at the most basic levels. They don't care about the customer, only how much control they have over them.

But they are trying to screw everyone over in the days of "profit at all costs", just look at the oppressed communist workers and children they employ to make the devices.
The sharing information and convincing other people not to abuse it are completely exclusive to each other. This is the internet we're talking about. You probably trust Sony about as much as they trust you, a random person on the internet. The kind of person that Geo released that code to.

Releasing the code and saying "Oh, I don't intend any wrong." does NOT dismiss him of the wrong he did.
Yes, it does actually. Having and sharing knowledge, even that which can be used for harmful purposes is not illegal and a basic right in a free society covered by the first amendment. Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to punish people for just knowing something? Besides, it's why Jackass can't get shut off the air when copy cat kids kill themselves recreating a stunt. You've got no clue what you're talking about.

Oh and THE IRONING IS DELICOUS

Sony made a rootkit that left customer computers vulnerable to viruses and malware and they weren't publicly humiliated or scolded by expensive lawyers. They deserve whatever they get and no defense whatsoever from people who have short memories.

Karma's a *****.
I don't see a connection.

Sony screwed up a while back by making a crappy product that put people at risk. Shame on them.

This somehow makes them responsible for other people committing identity fraud?

Besides considering that rootkey just basic "knowledge" isn't true. Just like how all these people's identity's are just "knowledge" right? The rootkey was Sony's not the consumers to use.
No connection?
Sony makes a rootkit (code) that leaves people vulnerable to hackers and viruses without telling them = No consequences

Customer makes a video exposing code that will leave Sony's databases vulnerable to hackers and viruses = "KILL THE MESSENGER IN A HAIL OF LAWSUITS AND DON'T CHANGE SECURITY TO PROPERLY PROTECT CUSTOMER DATA!"

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAAH! fucking hackers, I bet this had something to do with annomious or that prick who released that code.

I never understood their supporters.

zxBARRICADExz

Aug 28, 2009
MattAn24 said:
zxBARRICADExz said:
Michael Flick said:
zxBARRICADExz said:
dont get me wrong... i love my ps3's games.. but the security of the 360 and XBL is quite alot more hardcore than the PSN..
How is the XBL system more "hardcore" exactly?
from a security standpoint. it's far superior.

XBL has NEVER been taken down from a security breach.. EVER.. due to the amount of funding and personnel involved with keeping the security tight.

didnt meen to run you the wrong way fanboy.
Y.. Bu.. Th.. You no longer have any credibility. Microsoft is NOT completely bullet-proof from disasters like this. Don't even START that shit.

Oh, and I think you'll find it's "Didn't mean to run you the wrong way, fanboy." GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION ON MY INTERNET OH NOES GET AN ADULT! :O

Actually, being logical for a second here.. How is he a fanboy? He merely pointed out the incredible flaw in your statement. Way to be a hypocrite, buddy~

As I've stated, I own a 360 AND a PSP (not a PS3). I have no admiration or fanboyism towards either company. I think the whole fanboy thing is incredibly fucking stupid and annoying. People just need to shut up and stick to THEIR OWN THING. Don't like Sony? Fine, don't ***** about them, don't play their content! Don't like Microsoft or you call them Micro$hit? Fine! Don't play they content, don't ***** about them. Stick to your own stuff that you DO play.

With all this going on, the folks at Nintendo are probably jumping for joy! Microsoft AND Sony need to get their heads out of their asses, because Ninty gon fuck yo' shit up.

wow.. you are an uptight little guy arnt ya:)

i agree with the nintendo bit though.. they are gonna slay with sales after this psn BS.

now.. not safe from this kind of problem... i would say that since it's launch XBL hasnt had a single malicious attack, or at least none to threatening or powerful enough to force it offline for Total reconstruction.

now.. when i called him a fanboy..i dont think i should have to be honest, i dont know this person..or his likes in the gaming world.

i clarified that i didnt say SYSTEM as per his reply.. SECURITY standpoint...

as for you sir :)

you need to relax.. ctfd... and re-read everything i've posted in this thread.. if you cannot pickup the sarcasm in some of my sentences in previous posts.. i think you should go lay down and sip some sleepy time tea because you are obviously enraged to the point of being ill.

i'm a casual gamer.. not some jerkface that thinks one brand is better than another.. i love games on every system i own.. and play them regularly.
if you don't understand that?.. good luck with the rest of your life.. i wish you well.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Nurb said:
Oh, that "first amendment" that doesn't exist anywhere else outside the United States of WE'RE THE FUCKING WORLD, NO ONE ELSE IS, FUCK ALL Y'ALL BASTARDS HURR DURR DURR HURR! *even more benign American nonsense*

awesomcarter

Mar 25, 2011
the person who hacked PSN will probably see that and hack your account. if not they'll see this comment and then hack you

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
FreedomofInformation said:
Homebrew only happened around this generation of consoles because people decided to fuck with the consoles now that they were online. The Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis.. All those retro consoles WERE NOT FUCKED WITH. They were bought and played how they were designed to be played. Because people actually RESPECTED the games industry. But no, now people just want to fuck it up for everyone else and modify shit just because they think they can.
Modding is not a bad thing at all. It helps the gaming community be adding things to games the designers didn't think of, aesthetic or not, and also helps games become better through personalization. Blame the hackers right now, they're the ones who are being complete dicks.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Captain Bobbossa said:
I never understood their supporters.
http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2011/02/06/anonymous-takes-revenge-on-security-firm-for-trying-to-sell-supporters-details-to-fbi/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108138-Anonymous-Uncovers-Corruption-in-Wisconsin-Labor-Dispute

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
Oh, that "first amendment" that doesn't exist anywhere else outside the United States of WE'RE THE FUCKING WORLD, NO ONE ELSE IS, FUCK ALL Y'ALL BASTARDS HURR DURR DURR HURR! *even more benign American nonsense*
Wow, and you call Americans assholes. If you don't have basic freedoms that is your own problem to solve

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
FreedomofInformation said:
MattAn24 said:
Homebrew only happened around this generation of consoles because people decided to fuck with the consoles now that they were online. The Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis.. All those retro consoles WERE NOT FUCKED WITH. They were bought and played how they were designed to be played. Because people actually RESPECTED the games industry. But no, now people just want to fuck it up for everyone else and modify shit just because they think they can.
You need to brush up on your history.
Those consoles were also capable of being modded and needed to be if you wanted to play foreign games or use cheats.
Foreign games and using cheats, hey? You just contradicted yourself with the whole "cheats" thing, considering people are banned from the current generation of gaming for your precious "cheating". As we've seen before, that has never been good.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
there is so much shit going around i'm going to live in a bubble for a few weeks or however long it takes to settle down

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Nurb said:
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
Wow, and you call Americans assholes. If you don't have basic freedoms that is your own problem to solve
I live in Australia. Gun ownership (among many other things) is -extremely- strict. We seem to be a lot better off here than the crap that happens in America... Just saying.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
zxBARRICADExz said:
re-read everything i've posted in this thread..
Welp...I guess I've picked out my Summer Reading for the next 5 months.

(not taking sides, I think the situation's kinda clear-cut)

Kadamon

Feb 8, 2009
EcksTeaSea said:
Kadamon said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Nice secure system there Sony. Way to fuck up. At least RRoD only killed your system and didn't give out all your information at the same time.

Oh and I am still supporting the people who did this. How do you leave such a glaring issue in the system without fixing it? Thats asking for trouble. At least now Sony has to get their system together. If it didn't happen now, it was going to somewhere down the line and Sony still would have done nothing about it until then. Great company.
Wow, so you're supporting the people who could be selling people's credit card numbers right now? Also, you have no damn clue as to WHAT this issue was, or if it was even an issue to begin with. You're blaming a company for an individual that's NOT EVEN RELATED TO THE COMPANY.
If it was an issue to begin with? The stupidity of this sentence boggles me because if someone can make away with everyones information thats not an issue is it? How silly of me. I'm blaming a company who couldn't realize something of this magnitude could happen. I have said to three times now and I will say it to you. If someone makes out with a bit of information, thats normal. It happens to everyone company, happened with Valve with Half Life 2 even. Now when all of the information of every PSN user (according to the article) gets taken thats not the individual's problem for going in and exploiting that, thats Sony's problem for not realizing it. People trust their info to them and they are supposed to protect it. They failed, that simple.
I'm not saying the info being stolen was a problem (it definitely is), I'm talking about the security. Hackers are evolving day to day, and as boring as a hobby as it is, it's still attracting more people. No system is secure enough to be hacker-proof forever.

Dapper Chap

Oct 4, 2010
Thanks for the E-Mail, Sony.
I never received notification that any information had been compromised, i had to go to news sites like the escapist to find out. I'm off to go change every password ever now.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
MattAn24 said:
Nurb said:
I live in Australia. Gun ownership (among many other things) is -extremely- strict. We seem to be a lot better off here than the crap that happens in America... Just saying.
Yea you also have a nanny-state that censors or bans books, comics, games, movies, and tv that is in any way unpleasant or found offensive by a majority and restricts creative freedom because of it.