Sony Admits The Last Guardian Taking Longer Than Expected

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Admits The Last Guardian Taking Longer Than Expected

Sadly, we're going to have to wait a while for our fix of adorable baby griffin.

There's not a lot of information getting out about Team Ico's latest game, The Last Guardian [http://www.amazon.com/Last-Guardian-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA18K/ref=pd_sim_vg_1 ], and it seems that it's because development is taking longer than expected. Speaking at Gamescomm, Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida admitted that work on the game was moving much more slowly than Sony had hoped.

He stressed, however, that the work on the game was still ongoing and that the team was moving forward, even if there wasn't a whole lot to show people right now. "It's been very difficult in terms of seeing the progress," Yoshida said. "But we're still making progress, so I'd like to continue to support and keep waiting for great news sometime in the future." He also said that that the team was under a great deal of pressure at the moment, although didn't expand on that point.

The Last Guardian - which, as you might expect, will be a PS3 exclusive - tells the story of a young boy and his baby griffin companion, Trico. The player has to help the unusual duo evade those who want to do them harm. The game will primarily be a puzzle game, with the player using the Trico and the boy's different skills and abilities to overcome obstacles.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/17/gamescom-2011-sonys-yoshida-on-the-ps3-cut-and-more/]

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
I am really looking forward to this game.

Even though it has been a year or few since I last heard of it.
But its nice to know that they are still working on it.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
That's fine by me, I don't mind having to wait a bit longer for it to come out. I'd rather it be delayed then having an unfinished product put out onto the shelves. They can take as much time as they need to.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
This seems like a very large effort for something that I can't imagine will sell all that well.

I mean, kudos, but its a bit bizarre.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
[img_inline caption="" align='right' src='http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/67/67298.jpg']
Yeah, baby griffin, for sure.

Super excited for this game, and hopefully these problems don't cause any really major delays. Still, if it comes down to it, I'd rather wait and recieve another excellently crafted game than get some rushed out shit.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Hate that. They tease you and then take forever. You wish they never told you or should any pictures until they were certain when the release date was. Lets that by delays, they mean a month or two and not a year. Because there will be new games being shown and might draw my interest away from this title.

Dec 27, 2010
Woodsey said:
This seems like a very large effort for something that I can't imagine will sell all that well.
Well neither did the first two, and Sony still support the studio. Although I think they're counting on the press to give the series more publicity, which is why they're re-releasing the first two.

SpaceGnome

Apr 23, 2009
To be honest i would much prefer that they spent longer making it than have them rush and cut corners simply to meet deadlines

FeraIMuse

Oct 18, 2010
Frankly, I think it's good that there are young(er) generations getting exposed to ICO, and Shadow of the Colossus. I honestly never played the first one, and due to the HD re-release, will be getting them both. (Shadow was an exemplary example of investing yourself into a character, and a world, even though language itself was a barrier.) Keep it up, all!

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Seeing as how they are effectively programing something so it will behave like an actual living animal I'm not surprised that its gonna take longer than expected. Plus the delays will hopefully mean the end product will be that much better.

crotchdot

Jun 11, 2010
Ico and Shadow were at least 667.9 kinds of awesome. So take all the time you need, guys. We'll wait.
Better than you rushing the finished product and tarnishing the brand.

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
This is a game about someone who hurts a griffin. Look at the size of the bloody thing how do you hurt it?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Woodsey said:
Well neither did the first two, and Sony still support the studio. Although I think they're counting on the press to give the series more publicity, which is why they're re-releasing the first two.
I think it has gone cult classic like Psychonauts and such; flops in the short term, hits in the long term. Happens with a lot of movies.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
For some reason, I just haven't been able to get as excited for The Last Guardian since Team ICO made that stupid statement about the main character's gender...

I mean, I'm glad they're getting all the time they need and all; it'd be horrible if they rushed it. But.. I dunno.. I was really shocked they'd say something like 'We thought about having a female main character, but then you'd be seeing up her skirt all the time.'

The idea of striking off a character idea before just changing their wardrobe a bit is just..

I wish so much I had never read that interview.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
As much as it pains me to say this, but, take your time guys. I don't want you to rush it out just for our sake and have it be terrible and not be the awesome game that it was intended to be.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I would have come on here to complain, but then I rewatched the trailer on Youtube of The Last Guardian and I cried just as much as I did the first time I've watched it (And I've seen the trailer about 10 - 15 times).

Art takes time, and I'd rather it be taken forever on a good game than a rushed bad game. I'll wait, and I'll probably buy the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Collection when it comes out next month, just because of the rumor that there are preview glimpses of TLG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111775-Sony-ICO-Colossus-Collection-Includes-Amazing-Bonus-Content]. I can wait.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Ready whenever they are. If the delay makes a better game it's all good. Team ICO could bring in some dev help to expedite the process.