Sony Agents Fixing PS3 Bayonetta Before Western Release

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Agents Fixing PS3 Bayonetta Before Western Release

It's no secret that the PS3 version of Bayonetta doesn't match up to its sister on the Xbox 360, but Sony and the developers are trying to give it a facelift before its launch in the West.

explained the issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94372-PS3-Bayonetta-Isnt-Looking-So-Hot], saying that Platinum had created the game for the Xbox 360 and handed the task of porting it to the PS3 to Sega, the game's publisher. In other words, it was Sega's responsibility to make Bayonetta on the PS3 "the best it could be."

Unfortunately, once the game was released in Japan, it turned out that "the best it could be" on the PS3 apparently wasn't very good, as the same problems seen pre-launch - muddier graphics, lower framerates, and longer loading times - were present in the final version.

While the game might be out in Japan, it hasn't been released in the States yet, giving Sega and Platinum a chance to redeem themselves in front of the Western PS3 audience - and apparently, the two companies have called in aid from PS3 maker Sony itself to get the job done right. According to French game site wearetheinternetz [http://www.gamekyo.com/group_article10238.html]), "Sega and Platinum Games have taken responsibility for the bad port before deciding to work with the assistance of an engineering team from Sony to guarantee a PS3 version equal to the level of the console's power."

Well gee golly whilikers, I guess they're making it better than the best it could be, then!

In all seriousness, one can only hope that between the three companies, somebody will figure out how to get the game to run up to speed on the PS3 before it hits North America and Europe in early January (the 5th and the 8th, respectively). By all accounts, Bayonetta is shaping up to be an exceptional action title earning its share of perfect scores, and it'd be a real shame if PS3 owners missed out on the authentic experience.

(Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/bayonetta-ps3-getting-fixed-by-sony-before-us-release--156600.phtml])

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
While there is concensous that the PS3 is harder to work with, why is the job being passed to Sega programmers?
Good on them on turning to the guys who built the thing, though.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm sure they'll opt for the simple fix: Take 2 hours saving the game to the hard drive so we can have a six second loading screen instead of nine (Devil May Cry 4, anyone?).

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
This is good. There is no reason that the game runs so terrible on the PS3. Everyone (except fanbois de extreme) knows now that the PS3 and 360 are pretty equal so if there is such a terrible difference in the way it runs, the developer is completely to blame.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
auronvi said:
This is good. There is no reason that the game runs so terrible on the PS3. Everyone (except fanbois de extreme) knows now that the PS3 and 360 are pretty equal so if there is such a terrible difference in the way it runs, the developer is completely to blame.
The reason appears to be that the port was done by chimps.

Bob_F_It said:
While there is concensous that the PS3 is harder to work with, why is the job being passed to Sega programmers?
Sega are the publisher. Presumably Platinum, a smaller studio, didn't have the manpower to do both versions themselves.

In-depth look at how broken the PS3 version of Bayonetta is [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff]

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I like the fact that they cooperate. Makes the experience more worthwhile when you finally play the game.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
This is exactly why porting is such a problem. The Cell processor is nothing like the Xenon or an x86, and their graphics and network libraries are nothing alike either.

90% of any modern game is art. Whether its the levels, textures, characters, animations, sounds, or what have you, it can easily be converted from one format to another if done properly. But the game engine itself: the drawing, saving, loading, etc. are all heavily system-dependent. Game makers need to get used to developing game engines for each platform instead of doing this haphazard "port" shit.

It doesn't surprise me that the PS3-port of Bayonetta sucks, considering how many terrible console-to-PC ports we've already seen this year. Please, stop porting!

At least Sega was smart enough to go to Sony to get things fixed up. It says a lot for a platform when established game developers and publishers need the platform manufacturers' help to get the game working.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
auronvi said:
The reason appears to be that the port was done by chimps.

Bob_F_It said:
Sega are the publisher. Presumably Platinum, a smaller studio, didn't have the manpower to do both versions themselves.

In-depth look at how broken the PS3 version of Bayonetta is [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff]

Jesus. I really hope that is fixed before the US and Europe release. It looks like a good game, but I have a PS3, and it really doesn't look to be worth the money as it is.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well I hope this fix the bugs and everyone, I'm pretty interested in this game.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
The thing that don´t understand is why they don´t just work it on both of the consoles.Instead of making it for the 360 and then porting it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Even if the PS3 owners get shafted with a slightly worse version, as usual, the game's still plays the same. And by plays the same, I mean: IS FUCKING BADASS!

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
The problem was that Sega started on the 360 and ported to the PS3. We all know that is not the way to do ports. It is MUCH easier to start on the PS3 and move the port to the 360. Every port for any game that was done this way turned out great for both platforms.

I know Sony will help them fix their issues as they have the know how from all their third party companies like Insomniac and Naughty Dog. All the games coming from Sony on the PS3 have looked great.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, here is to all the poor PS3 owners planning to buy the game. Hope the fix works lol

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
They've got... barely a month. To not only make the changes, test them for stability but then print the "new cut" and distribute them in time?

I think they have left it too late to do anything more than just a few modest improvements.

To be honest, I don't even want ports of 360 games on my PS3 as they will NEVER be as good as one that was co-developed or made exclusively on the PS3, simply due to the idiosyncrasies of the PS3's rendering architecture.

Just compare PS3 exclusive titles to Xbox 360 exclusives, it is clear the PS3 when comparing development on equal standing can knock 360 out of the park, but porting a 360 game will never be better than the 360 release and for all the time money and effort to spend on optimising the port you only ever get diminishing returns towards platform parity.

I say: Only play exclusives on PS3 or 360, leave multiplatform releases to PC.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Keep in mind, SEGA has already shown that they don't know how to develop games without framerate issues and hideous load times, just look at Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. While this is partly a sloppily done port, I suspect that had SEGA coded the 360 version it'd be just as bad. That's how SEGA rolls.

P.S. Thanks

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Well I wish them luck in fixing the PS3 version, don't want PS3 owners feeling cheated and then turning their angry eyes towards 360 owners and starting a conflict, both deserve the same experience.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'm sure it will get fixed in time for a western release, and I will continue not caring.

Also this sucks for the japanese as they'll be stuck with an inferior version. That'd really piss me off.