Sony Agents Fixing PS3 Bayonetta Before Western Release

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
RAND00M said:
The thing that don´t understand is why they don´t just work it on both of the consoles.Instead of making it for the 360 and then porting it.
Multiplatform development is prohibitively expensive, especially for a small developer that had no HD experience like Platinum games. By choosing one console and sticking to it they were able to use it to the best of its capabilities even with their limited manpower. Only really big developers develop directly in multiplatform.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Woot woot for being an Xbox owner.

This game looks amazing. To Bad Dante's Inferno is coming out around the same time, and I lack the funds to get both.

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
I dont get it. The PS3 is waaay more powerful than the 360- hell look at the specs! so why is the xbox version better in any way? nope, i dont get it at all.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
Shadowfaze said:
I dont get it. The PS3 is waaay more powerful than the 360- hell look at the specs! so why is the xbox version better in any way? nope, i dont get it at all.
Look at the digital foundry article ( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff ) for some explanations. Short answer is: in practical use the PS3 has both strengths and weaknesses compared to the 360. Most notably weakness-wise it has less memory for textures (especially since it can't compress them natively like the 360 can), and less rasterizer bandwidth (ie a lesser amount of pixels can be drawn in a given frame, which becomes important when there's overdraw, and Bayonetta uses that a lot). It has the advantage in the variety of complex geometry and effects it can do, but it's just not as fast when it comes to pushing to the actual screen.

Since Bayo was designed for the 360 it was designed with it in mind, ie it pushes a lot of geometry to the screen and with a lot of overdraw and very detailed textures, all things not appropriate for the PS3 pipeline. So they end up having to use simpler textures, but because they still try to push the same geometry rather than redesign everything (which would take another six months at the very very least) they also have to dial back the fancy shaders the PS3 would normally excel at in an attempt to grab a few extra frames.

So basically the PS3's got a lot of power, but it's just not in the right place for how this game's made.

Plus the 360 version streamed the textures from the hard disk, and the PS3 version doesn't, a further hit to texture size.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Didn't the same thing happen with Borderlands? Although I think Borderlands' problem was that it wasn't working well on PSN.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Didn't the same thing happen with Borderlands? Although I think Borderlands' problem was that it wasn't working well on PSN.
WHY DID YOU NECRO THIS?

Anyways, it appears they didn't "fix it" as nearly every review says the PS3 version is inferior, but not unplayable by any means.

I freaking love this game.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
WHY DID YOU NECRO THIS?
I have no idea what this means.

Borderlands for PS3 got a lower score on some websites. Here's why: "Online issues at launch, including broken Friends list functionality".

Here's some issues that Bayonetta for PS3 had that the 360 version didn't: "Frequent, lengthy load times and frame rate hiccups during high-action sequences".

I am in no way, shape, or form putting down the PS3 as it's not a problem with the console, they're just issues caused by the porting not working out so well. The only way to permanently fix these issues is to re-develop the game for PS3. But it wouldn't be worth the time, money or effort so for now PS3 owners will have to settle for a slightly more buggy version than the 360's.

I'm just sayin'.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
MercurySteam said:
This topic was done and over with. The game is already out, and it's clear their efforts were in vain. You brought an old topic back from the depths of the forum that is basically irrelevant for your own purposes, much like a Necromancer.

Hence, Necro'ing a topic.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
LockeDown said:
MercurySteam said:
This topic was done and over with. The game is already out, and it's clear their efforts were in vain. You brought an old topic back from the depths of the forum that is basically irrelevant for your own purposes, much like a Necromancer.

Hence, Necro'ing a topic.
Well considering my post was only 15 hours after his, the thread can't be considered dead in the first place as it wasn't even inactive for 24 hours. I'm just saying.

And saying "irrelevant for your own purposes" is just plain arrogant. I have friends who take my advice on games and will sometimes buy games I recommend to then if they are multi-platform (like Bayonetta and Borderlands), but every time they pick up a "sligtly buggier version" for their PS3's they tell me they made a big mistake listening to me. It's not my responsiblity as I don't care about the PS3 cause I don't have one and it usually ends up with them giving their games back and coming over to my house to play a non-buggy version of the game.

Moral: Every time a badly made port for a good game is released for the PS3 I generally get to hear about it from some of my friends. So in no way was my post "irrelevant for my own purposes". I was just trying to clarify something as I don't own a PS3.

/rant

And thank you for the definition.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I heard that there has been a patch download that fixed constant load time issues.

Do you know anyone that has tried and found it works? Most sites gave the PS3 version, which I want, a full grade below the 360 version. I won't get the PS3 version unless I read from real people that this fix really worked and is not just more BS like that stuff about fixing it before release in the West.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Shadowfaze said:
It's what happens when a company decide to make their console intentionally awkward to program for. You can't utilize it fully, because it's intentionally awkward to program for.