Sony Announces Female Spider-Man Spin-Off

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Not sure how to feel about this.

There were some aspects to the ASM2 that I liked, Electro's theme was cool and used well, Gwen was an actual character and had chemistry with Peter who wasn't some sap who cried at the drop of a hat and,
Gwen's death scene was really good
of course there was ALOT of stuff I hated too, the villain designs were bland, the stuff with Peter's parents were lazy and,
Harry's completely backward plan to break Electro out of Ravencroft so they could break into Oscorp

I think i'd rather it just go back to Marvel, that way we might get Stark-suit-Spidey!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Brad Shepard said:
erttheking said:
Brad Shepard said:
While i dont care one way or the other about this. My thoughts are, why make it a female spider man? There are a lot of female characters they could just make movies about. And heres the thing, I dont think people will see this movie. Because its not the Spider Man they know, so it has no foothold, if that makes any sense.
Erm, there was a comic series about a female spiderman. She was Peter's daughter. It was really good and a lot of people liked this. They could totally do this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Girl

That's her picture in the article.
I remember that, but the thing is, EVERYONE knows spider man, only hardcore fans know of Spider Girl, thats what i was getting at.
True. Then again only hardcore fans knew about Guardians of the Galaxy until just recently.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Meh, Sony already killed entire concept of Spiderman. I don't really care what they do with the corpse.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
For all those asking Sony to give the rights back, maybe they could partner with Disney. I know shocker, but smarter people that I could figure it out I am sure.

Also I am good for a female spin-off. Jut make it good. They need Spidey in the name to draw some audiences. So a stand-alone Spiderman is delayed, but they didn't say he couldn't show up in another way.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like that we're getting lots of female super hero action lately. It's a shame Sony will just make really shitty movies out of it; but I guess it's a start?

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
RJ 17 said:
Sony, please, for the love of all that's holy sell the rights back to Marvel/Disney. NO ONE at Sony has any idea where the hell they're going with the series, they're literally just spinning their tires...just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. Time to cut your losses and sell off the rights, at least then you can make some money off the franchise.

Considering ASM2 is the only reason there movie business was profitable last quarter (regardless of what Bob believes) I doubt that's ever going to happen.

And also Sony rebooting Spiderman is constantly attacked as a bad idea yet Marvel doing it is fine because 'reasons' I guess.

The best way to look at it is this, if Marvel had FF, X-men and Spiderman do you really thing that GotG and Antman would ever get films with Marvel planning already to go 3 films a year and flooding the market.

I'm looking forward to Avenger's 4 with a 3 hour runtime and each of the cast getting 1 whole ling of dialogue each. Because it may be fine to have characters get no dialogue for chapters at a time while being on panel but that isn't going to work on film.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
I just love the instant sarcasm mode Bob goes into whenever we get a non-Marvel newsflash regarding superheroes. Apparently Marvel can gender-swap Thor in a desperate PC move and give half-assed explanations why a Black Widow movie is "hard", but when Sony says they're making a female Spider-Man movie then chortle chortle, "What haven't they tried yet?". All due respect, but can we lose the favoritism and get a little more objectivity in our news reports please? I get it, Bob likes Marvel. He doesn't have to mock every single little thing Sony or Warner do just because they're not Marvel.

Considering Bob was paid by Blip (a Disney subsidiary) for his Overthinker videos up till they ended their dealings last month I doubt it, Bob thinks of Disney like he does Nintendo.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
youji itami said:
RJ 17 said:
Sony, please, for the love of all that's holy sell the rights back to Marvel/Disney. NO ONE at Sony has any idea where the hell they're going with the series, they're literally just spinning their tires...just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. Time to cut your losses and sell off the rights, at least then you can make some money off the franchise.

Considering ASM2 is the only reason there movie business was profitable last quarter (regardless of what Bob believes) I doubt that's ever going to happen.
Ticket Sales =/= Good Movie. See Also: Transformers.

Zachary Amaranth said:
RJ 17 said:
As for Marvel's "Next Move" in terms of getting a female-led movie, there was that article a couple days ago that touched on it. I do believe one will come, but to be fair to Marvel/Disney: they do already have quite a bit on their plate. My bet is that they'll get something in the works after Captain America 3, since I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the actor that plays Cap said that that's going to be his last movie in that role. If that's the case then it'd be a good time to put Cap'n on hiatus for a bit and bust out with a new female-starring series.
One movie studio is getting one done, the other is making excuses for why it would have to be "done right," a consideration they really don't seem to have for the male heroes.
I won't bother with addressing this with my own thoughts, since someone else in this topic has already said why "waiting to make sure it's done right" is better than "doing one just for the hell of it":
Sleekit said:
Promethax said:
Sony's actually going to make a female-fronted super hero movie?

Your move, Marvel.
and if that's the only reason the do it it'll be a seriously bad move.

do have any idea what this could potentially do to the concept of "female-fronted super hero movies" if it bombs ?
Case In Point: Green Lantern.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Promethax said:
Sony's actually going to make a female-fronted super hero movie?

Your move, Marvel.
I'd really like that move be an original Spider-Woman / Jessica Drew movie since she really isn't part of the Spider-Man cast.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I just love the instant sarcasm mode Bob goes into whenever we get a non-Marvel newsflash regarding superheroes. Apparently Marvel can gender-swap Thor in a desperate PC move and give half-assed explanations why a Black Widow movie is "hard", but when Sony says they're making a female Spider-Man movie then chortle chortle, "What haven't they tried yet?". All due respect, but can we lose the favoritism and get a little more objectivity in our news reports please? I get it, Bob likes Marvel. He doesn't have to mock every single little thing Sony or Warner do just because they're not Marvel.
It is different with Marvel, they have a roadmap, they know what their longterm plan is and how to achieve it. Sony and Warner Brothers on the otherhand, think all they have to do is mimic Marvel's movies (not the underlying architecture mind you, just the movies) and they think they will succeed.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Well that's kinda cool. Reeks of desperation but who cares really. Maybe this will finally clue in Hollywood that movies don't necessarily need to be male-led to be succesful.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Ticket Sales =/= Good Movie. See Also: Transformers.
That's nice, but since the claim was that Bob insisted it flopped, that doesn't make any difference. You wouldn't say TF4 flopped, would you?

I won't bother with addressing this with my own thoughts, since someone else in this topic has already said why "waiting to make sure it's done right" is better than "doing one just for the hell of it":
And since that doesn't really address the part where Marvel only seems to have issues "doing it right" with females, that was a waste of time. Hell, they're sticking out Ant Man. The Green Lantern argument is looking worse and worse.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Come on Golen Oldie movie. I would pay any amount of money they ask for that; I don't care how terrible it would be it would simultaneously be the most amazing super hero movie ever.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Sony, just give the rights back to Marvel studios. You're getting nowhere.

And that picture is just creepy.

Off-topic: Time Warner Cable can kiss my ass.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Yeah that's right Hollywood, just keep hitting the reset button whenever you run out of ideas.

I pretty much only bother with 'World' cinema these days because that's the only chance you have of ever seeing something different.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Could we instead of a spinoff have you take that "What if Gwen Stacy got bitten instead" concept with that kickass costume and make it a reboot?

If you're dead set on this though, please go with Ultimate! Spider-Woman/Black Widow (yeah, that name would be a problem), and have her thoughtful arc of self-discovery and (similar to Scarlet, Superior, and Ultimate Spider-men) the realization that she is not Peter and is someone different entirely. Second pick would be one of the Spider-girls but I'd like to see U! Jessica Drew get a little attention (and by extension Miles too).

Leonbelmont64

Jun 7, 2010
If its not Black Cat its probably Firestar as she is one of the "spider friends" existed a lot in Spider-Man back in the day and if they don't mention or do anything with her being a mutant like Marvel is doing with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch technically they have the ability to use her and I wouldn't see why not. Also couple in the fact that Sony put in an X-men: Days of Future Past trailer in the ASM2 credits they could of been brokering a deal with Fox in secret to use Firestar as that is what they wanted to do the whole time. Why they said it was based on an "agreement previously with Fox" and not a new partnership for franchises. So possible token of good will to borrow a shared character.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Dear Sony, you can't due "Marvel style shared superhero universe" without, well, rights to an actual shared superhero universe.

All the characters relating to Spiderman you guys own, you don't have much in the way of variety. I don't know what they actually own here, but they can't own that many superheroes. I am almost certain they don't even own Spiderwoman (or maybe it's a Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch "we both have the film rights for relations and we don't want to risk losing them to the other guy in a court-case" situation).

I hope the next Spiderman loses money, just so Sony will give up on the franchise.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
erttheking said:
Erm, there was a comic series about a female spiderman. She was Peter's daughter. It was really good and a lot of people liked this. They could totally do this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Girl

That's her picture in the article.
theres also a spider woman isnt there?

OT: anyway I think this is a terrible idea, sorry but women can't be spiders, I have yet to see a female that can be a spider as convincingly as a guy