Sony Announces Female Spider-Man Spin-Off

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
youji itami said:
"But Bob says it sucks so it must suck even though I haven't seen it as Bob said it sucks"

The responses I got for actually asking some of the complainers about why they didn't like ASM2 when it first came out.
My biggest gripe?

The second battle between Electro and Spider-man makes no sense. Electro had half a dozen different powers that he pulled out of thin air, while Spidey's plan hinged on overloading Electro's internal battery before Electro (the brilliant electrical engineer) remembered he could discharge (shoot) stored electricity.

the movie's full of stuff like that

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Phil the Nervous said:
youji itami said:
"But Bob says it sucks so it must suck even though I haven't seen it as Bob said it sucks"

The responses I got for actually asking some of the complainers about why they didn't like ASM2 when it first came out.
My biggest gripe?

The second battle between Electro and Spider-man makes no sense. Electro had half a dozen different powers that he pulled out of thin air, while Spidey's plan hinged on overloading Electro's internal battery before Electro (the brilliant electrical engineer) remembered he could discharge (shoot) stored electricity.

Comic book movies and truth be told comic books in general is full of stuff like that. Heroes and villains pulling powers out of nowhere and plans that hinge on the villain being too stupid or arrogant to notice it is basically comic books in a nutshell.

That's like complaining that water is wet or fire is hot.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
I remember that, but the thing is, EVERYONE knows spider man, only hardcore fans know of Spider Girl, thats what i was getting at.
Marvel made a billion dollar franchise out Iron Man, a six hundred million dollar franchise out of Thor and it's also just had a record breaking opening weekend with a tree, a raccoon, a green lady, a blue man and Chris Pratt saving the universe from a fabulous blue Darth Vader impersonator.

They key is not having 'recognisable' characters, but making watchable movies. Marvel have succeeded in this respect, even their duds (Hulk, Iron Man2) have been watchable and fun if nothing else, seemingly everything Sony has made that isn't X Men or Sam Raimi's Spider Man1/2 has wobbled between bad and unwatchable.

Unfortunately for Sony audience's ticket buying tendencies seem to be reflecting that, unless this has a clearer plan than 'spider man movie full of girls' it's not going to change anything.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
What Marvel is doing with Thor is nothing new. The idea that Thor can be a title is a relatively subtle retcon. It's semantics. There's precedent for a character transforming into male-Thor when using Mjolnir, but it would be a terrible decision to have a woman transform into male-Thor when using Mjolnir.

A key difference between what Sony is doing with the idea of a female protagonist and what Marvel is doing with Thor is that Sony is talking about this after 2 entries. Just 2. Marvel is doing it after how many series, plot-arcs, and issues? I won't bother to count. Additionally, there's no controversy about whether the recent Thor comics have been any good. Marvel has been releasing good comics, so they try to do something interesting. Sony is struggling to make something good, but can't even succeed with a simple approach. They're aiming for complex, interconnected narratives and themes when they have yet to master the basics.

If Sony announced a new, capable (IMO) team was beginning work on a Spider-Girl movie, I might get excited. With their current production team, I'm not anticipating anything good.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
Phil the Nervous said:
youji itami said:

My biggest gripe?

Comic book movies and truth be told comic books in general is full of stuff like that. Heroes and villains pulling powers out of nowhere and plans that hinge on the villain being too stupid or arrogant to notice it is basically comic books in a nutshell.

That's like complaining that water is wet or fire is hot.
Source? I haven't seen anything like that from the Marvel movies.

added: Marvel's been really good about internal consistency. I honestly can't think of any time characters get random extra powers or an increase in physical ability.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
RJ 17 said:
Ticket Sales =/= Good Movie. See Also: Transformers.
That's nice, but since the claim was that Bob insisted it flopped, that doesn't make any difference. You wouldn't say TF4 flopped, would you?
ASM2 made less money than the first one and yet its budget was slightly higher. The point of a sequel is to make MORE money than its predecessor.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
As much as a female spider woman would be great. For me the worst part would be its another origin movie. I think people will see it as a reboot in a way and send hate its way. Or just not watch it. If they go the Tim Burton Batman route it could be good. By that, have Spiderwoman from the start and have a flash back showing how she became Spiderwoman.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
youji itami said:
Considering ASM2 is the only reason there movie business was profitable last quarter (regardless of what Bob believes) I doubt that's ever going to happen.
It is really debatable if Amazing Spider-Man really was successful for even though according to Box Office Mojo the movie is currently at $708 million dollars at the box office, Sony has kept confidential how much the movie cost to make and how much the marketing cost. Its been rumored that those costs are between $300 and $400 million with the Movie reported at $200 and $250 million production costs. Then the theaters will also take their cut which varies based on location of the theater, but I have been reading that in North America its starting to change to match international percentages.

Now I am not saying that Amazing Spider-Man bombed, it was a successful enough movie. The real question is was it successful enough to make a profit with the high production values the franchise has.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
So, Marvel gender-bend Thor and inside of 2 weeks Sony come in with this, I'm imagining with a "Ooh, ooh, look, we can do that, too!". I'm not ruling out that this might be worthwhile, but considering I've not seen anything of the current reboot that's interesting so far, I'm not expecting it to deviate from over-hyped nonsense.

W.Heisenberg

Apr 18, 2014
Hey Sony, whats Airbud been doing? Why not do a movie with him "The Amazing SpiderBud", have his puppies be the villains? Little puppy Mysterio or puppy Carnage, anythings better then casting yet another 30 yo actor/actress as a 17 yo high school student then over sexualize them...

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Well, it'll either be the best comic book movie with a female lead, or it'll be par for the course. :p

I dunno, this seems so weird, and alien. Not sure what to think.

This leads to a weird thought... Does this mean we'll have a line of figures in the boy's section of a store that focuses on women? I mean, what's a comic book movie without merchandise?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
My money is on a Black Cat flick. It's a bit too late in their game to start farting around with alternate universe female clones or anything like that.

The only reason I can see them trying to push a spider-girl film is in a petty attempt to cock block Marvel/Disney from adding Spider-Woman to the MCU.
(Assuming the general audience is unaware that Spider Woman has no direct connection to Spidey.)

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Phil the Nervous said:

added: Marvel's been really good about internal consistency. I honestly can't think of any time characters get random extra powers or an increase in physical ability.
If you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy it has a perfect recent example, namely Groot. If there's a problem and he's around, he'll pull a random power out of nowhere that wasn't even hinted at before to solve it. As for the rest? Depends on what you've seen.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
Phil the Nervous said:

If you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy it has a perfect recent example, namely Groot. If there's a problem and he's around, he'll pull a random power out of nowhere that wasn't even hinted at before to solve it. As for the rest? Depends on what you've seen.
don't believe so, the
rapid growth (branch shield, vine whip), chemical generation (adrenaline shot), bioluminescence (firefly seeds), and regeneration
are all existing powers that the character has in the comics, and all fit a character who can alter his own biology at will. None of them accomplish anything in the movie that other characters also accomplish with more time.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sleekit said:
do have any idea what this could potentially do to the concept of "female-fronted super hero movies" if it bombs ?
Given the status quo so far, I think it would do the worst thing possible...Absolutely nothing.
Kind of a sad state of things.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Phil the Nervous said:
don't believe so, the
rapid growth (branch shield, vine whip), chemical generation (adrenaline shot), bioluminescence (firefly seeds), and regeneration
are all existing powers that the character has in the comics, and all fit a character who can alter his own biology at will. None of them accomplish anything in the movie that other characters also accomplish with more time.
It doesn't particularly matter what he can do in the comics, this is the movie we're talking about.
Assume for a moment that like most people who are watching the movie you don't know jack about the comics or the characters. From that perspective Movie Groot is a textbook example of a character that pulls powers out of nowhere to solve the current crisis or even minor inconvenience. Nothing he can do is mentioned by any of the character or foreshadowed in any way whatsoever prior to him doing it, nor to the extent to which he can do it. For instance, growing random branches out of himself is seen frequently, what isn't is him showing anything resembling resilience enough for those branches to handle a terminal velocity impact, far from it in fact considering how he gets various pieces of himself blasted off repeatedly throughout the movie it's actually shown to be rather fragile.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
immortalfrieza said:
Phil the Nervous said:
don't believe so, the
It doesn't particularly matter what he can do in the comics, this is the movie we're talking about.
Assume for a moment that like most people who are watching the movie you don't know jack about the comics or the characters. From that perspective Movie Groot is a textbook example of a character that pulls powers out of nowhere to solve the current crisis or even minor inconvenience. Nothing he can do is mentioned by any of the character or foreshadowed in any way whatsoever prior to him doing it, nor to the extent to which he can do it. For instance, growing random branches out of himself is seen frequently, what isn't is him showing anything resembling resilience enough for those branches to handle a terminal velocity impact, far from it in fact considering how he gets various pieces of himself blasted off repeatedly throughout the movie it's actually shown to be rather fragile.
With that perspective, any of Iron man's weapon reveals: repulsors, shoulder gun, wrist rocket, even his flight would be considered random powers pulled out of nowhere. They're not mentioned by any of the character or foreshadowed in any way whatsoever prior to him using them. He's just wearing armor. Likewise, Groot is just made of branches.

As for the crash, Groot enclosed his friends in a network of branches to spread out the kinetic energy from the crash. I'm no astrophysicist (Groot actually is) but a quick wiki search reveals space capsules using something very similar. It's called splashdown.

and that's not pulled out of thin air at all, the movie spends alot of time showing him growing branches.

actually, now that I've typed this, we're talking about two different things. You're talking about characters using existing abilities in an intelligent and non-linear way. What I didn't like was Electro gaining Magneto's powers... and somehow forgetting he had Magneto's powers. Teleporting, then forgetting he could do that. At any point in that fight he could have thrown electricity through the "special magnetic" web shooters to kill Pete, compressed them to break his wrists, or simply stuck them together. Instead he takes two hits, runs off for exactly the amount of time for Gwen to give her strong independent woman speech, and comes back just in time to fall to the fake science plan. And all this this is five minutes of fight scene, it gets worse when they can talk!

*sigh*

The worst part. The absolute worst-horrible-bottommost part is that this probably tanked any chance of DC pulling their collective heads out of their asses and making a Static Shock movie.
Static would have been awesome.