Sony Announces PlayStation Tablet

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Sony Announces PlayStation Tablet

Sony gets touchy-feely with a new PlayStation tablet primed for gaming and media consumption.

In a market already saturated with competing tablet computers, Sony has decided to enter the fray with a new set of its own devices, previously announced only as the Sony S1 and S2 (presumably referring to the number of screens). We've known about these Android-based tablets since back in April when Sony first announced some early tech-specs, but now Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/16/exclusive-sony-s1-brings-qriocity-to-9-4-inch-honeycomb-table/] reports that the official title of at least one of them will have PlayStation wedged into its center.

The new Sony PlayStation Tablet S (yes, that mouthful is the official name) will sport a 9.4-inch display, a decent 1280x768 resolution, two cameras, and the ability to "provide seamless access and control of all devices in the home thanks to integrated WiFi, DLNA-compatibility, and an IR blaster." Sony has also announced that the term "PlayStation" isn't just a name; the new device will also be PlayStation Suite certified, meaning it will have full and official access to the PlayStation Store and Network services.

Sony is touting these new computers as media-centric, designed to allow "[smooth] access [to] digital content including videos, games and books through Sony's premium network services and more, on-the-go at any time." Between these, the Xperia Play (the PlayStation phone), PS Vita, PlayStation 3, and that Vaio collecting dust at your mom's house, Sony has you pretty much covered for whatever virtual shenanigans you're into.

As for price point, Engadget has to following say about it: "What we don't know yet is [the Sony PlayStation Tablet S's] final price -- we'd heard $599 previously -- but there should be more to say about that and the clamshell S2 tablet soon." There's still no word as to whether or not Sony's fancy looking Nintendo DS clamshell-style "S2" will also join the ranks as an official recipient of the PlayStation brand, but I certainly hope so.

Source: Times Live [http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/16/exclusive-sony-s1-brings-qriocity-to-9-4-inch-honeycomb-table/]

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
How many times are people going to report this as breaking news before the release? It was first announced in February, then it was newly announced AGAIN in June, and now it's a big announcement once more in August. They haven't even released any real new information on the devices since the original unveiling.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Someone wants to get a part of iPad cake.

Both of these gimmicky devices seem to be straight out of designer's desk - doesn't seem that they put any though in it afterwards. I already see everyone complaining about finerprints all over it. Also it doesn't seem to have any better features, or design, or anything at all that would make even comparable to iPad - only the price seems to be higher.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
"we'd heard $599 previously"

If it is anywhere near that then I am not buying some cool looking, smooth, multi-screen, 1280x768 resolution....what was I saying?

No seriously that price needs to drop. I can spend 300 more dollars and get a Viao and be much more satisfied.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
More competition in the tablet market is always good.

If someone wants a bare bones Android table I highly recommend a Flytouch 3 http://www.amazon.com/Flytouch-Android-10-2-Inch-Tablet/dp/B004YZGZY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314204886&sr=8-1

The screen isn't great, it is slow, but at 170 shipped you cant beat the price. It plays standard rez movies great, high res movies not so much but who cares on a 10 inch screen.

And it is the perfect size for comic book reading.

If you are willing to spend a bit more the Acer tablet is really high quality: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-A500-10S16u-10-1-Inch-Computer-Aluminum/dp/B004XZL980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314205017&sr=8-1

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Gun-to-my-head, if I was forced to buy a tablet I'd take this over a fucking iPad any day. It would sit in the corner like all the rest of my Sony gimzos, but a least it can run flash. The resolution made me cringe, though.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
To be honest this tablet is nothing new in the line of current technology and all it looks like to me is just another company after another's slice of pie.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
o_0

So Sony looked at a piece of overpriced, unnecessary equipment, made minimal changes, and then overpriced it even more?

Sounds like MO for Sony these days. Their e-reader is more expensive than the Kindle, and doesn't even have near as many features.

Congratulations, Sony, you succeeded... at failing. Again.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
enzilewulf said:
"we'd heard $599 previously"

If it is anywhere near that then I am not buying some cool looking, smooth, multi-screen, 1280x768 resolution....what was I saying?

No seriously that price needs to drop.
For that I can get a PS3 + all the games I want.

OT, why do we need a new tablet? I have always thought they were a little pointless, this gets added to the list.
Sony, why?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
theriddlen said:
it doesn't seem to have any better features, or design, or anything at all that would make even comparable to iPad - only the price seems to be higher.
well ya that's what sony does haven't you ever been to the sony store they just make products with confusing set ups that are only as ok as other products and sell them for a signifigantly higher price its sonys bread and butter.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Not to judge something before it's released but this sounds like an insta-fail to me.

Maybe they should ask HP how their tablet went?

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Toriver said:
Sounds like MO for Sony these days. Their e-reader is more expensive than the Kindle, and doesn't even have near as many features.
But kindle can't do PDFs, which is totally a deal breaker.

But yeah, essentially what you said.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
If the firesale of the HP Touchpad has shown anything, it is that these devices are overpriced. I'm pretty sure these things will not sell at $600, or anything close. Come on, Sony. Haven't you learned from the disappointing sales when the PS3 came out?

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
@Pingieking: actually, the Kindle does PDFs just fine. Mine does, no problem.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
CrankyStorming said:
How many times are people going to report this as breaking news before the release? It was first announced in February, then it was newly announced AGAIN in June, and now it's a big announcement once more in August. They haven't even released any real new information on the devices since the original unveiling.
In February reports were rumored and leaked, in June Sony gave us more details, and now recently, they have unveiled that it will be tied to their PlayStation line. Making an Android tablet PlayStation Suite certified is both new and relevant news for gamers. Every report of "breaking news" does not mean the tablet's mere existence is being re-announced.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Another absurdly overpriced product that will (if we've learned anything from the psp & ps3) surely get horrible support.
No thanks Sony.

Can't wait to see how they hype this crap up. I'm preparing my eyes for an obscene amount of rolling.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I don't care about that whole Playstation Suite thing until they fix it up so I don't have to rebuy all my Playstation Network games.

Plus what do I need any tablet for anyway (let alone this Playstation one)? I already have a real computer, and I already have a PS3. I think I'm good.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
If there wasn't such a ridiculous price-tag at this stage, I'd be interesting.

Jesus, Sony, why milk it and over-price everything.

jprf

May 18, 2011
Pingieking said:
Toriver said:
But kindle can't do PDFs, which is totally a deal breaker.

But yeah, essentially what you said.
Kindle does do pdfs. In any case, pair a kindle with Calibre, a wonderful bit of free ebook management software, and it becomes the perfect ebook device. I mean I literally can't think of a way they'd make it perform it's function better that wouldn't ruin the battery life.

On topic, touch controls + games = ragequit. No thanks sony.