Sony Announces Two New IPs

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Sony Announces Two New IPs

Rain and Puppeteer are loaded with offbeat charm.

Sony's Japan Studio has revealed two new IPs which might reach the PS3 as early as next year; a sedate adventure game provisionally titled Rain and a slick platformer called Puppeteer.

Judging by the trailer in the above right, Rain is a gloomy affair reminiscent of ICO and Limbo. Like those two games, Rain focuses on a young boy trying to rescue a girl, but with a unique twist. At some point, the boy becomes invisible, and only his silhouette outlined by raindrops, splashes in puddles or soggy footprints left on dry ground give away his position. There seem to be similarly invisible enemies to evade and puzzles to solve, but there isn't really much gameplay to behold in what little footage we have. Regardless, the interesting gimmick and melancholic atmosphere mean Rain is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

In contrast, Puppeteer is a colorful, panto-platformer about a young boy-turned-puppet on a quest to reclaim his own soul. It kind of looks like the mutant offspring of Kirby's Epic Yarn and Little Big Planet. All the action seems to be set on the same stage - an actual stage, audience and all - which is simply rearranged to represent different levels and areas.

Puppeteer is penciled in for a 2013 release, and a launch window for Rain is TBA.

Source: VideoGameWriters [http://videogamewriters.com/sony-japan-unveils-two-gorgeous-new-ips-rain-and-puppeteer-52880]

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
trollpwner said:
Christ, the industry is in a sad state if a new I.P. is what constitutes news these days. I can't help but pine for the good old days when such things were an accepted fact rather than something to be hoped for from companies churning out the same crap, year in, year out.
Or you could look at it positively. Rain looks like an amazing concept, I can see a lot of potential for interesting stealthy platformy situations in it, and even in this primitive tiny concept video it radiates with an otherworldly atmosphere. I am really looking forward to this, these are the kind of games that I find the most exciting and it's awesome that Sony greenlighted this and is putting money into it.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Yay, new IP for the PS3, both looking quite engaging.
I'd like to see some more gameplay of both before I set myself on buying them.
They're promising though.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
trollpwner said:
Christ, the industry is in a sad state if a new I.P. is what constitutes news these days. I can't help but pine for the good old days when such things were an accepted fact rather than something to be hoped for from companies churning out the same crap, year in, year out.
Damn man, don't be such a Debby downer. I think it looks fantastic, it's just a shame it's a PS3(I think) only game.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Not sure if I like Puppeteer yet, it's aesthetics look WAAAY too much like LittleBigPlanet, and not sure if it can stand out doing that. Granted, the LBP fans might be more likely to pick it up if that's the case.

Rain has my interest though. I see a lot of potential for a stealth-based platformer with exploration and pseudo-horror themes to keep the story moving. If it sticks to that, I'm all in.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That Rain game remind me of that Wii game Lost In Shadow but alot better while that Puppeteer is kind of intresting too!

Games like these make me want to get the PS3!

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Grey Carter said:
In contrast, Puppeteer is a colorful, panto-platformer about a young boy-turned-puppet on a quest to reclaim his own soul. It kind of looks like the mutant offspring of Kirby's Epic Yarn and Little Big Planet. All the action seems to be set on the same stage - an actual stage, audience and all - which is simply rearranged to represent different levels and areas.
That actually sounds an awful lot like Gunstringer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gunstringer

The puppet, the stage, audience, narrator, etc (it's one big marrionette show).

That said, the stage thing was one of the things that made The Gunstringer awesome so if they wanna use it I'm not going to complain provided they don't screw it up. :)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
At Rain:

Hollow man begins!

At Puppeteer:

Do want. Sounds awesomely strange and quirky. Looks like a cartoon that Terry Gillian would do for Monty Python.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hmmm, first Capcom, now Sony.

Maybe this is the beginning of a string of publishers trying to one-up each other with new IPs. A time of fresh ideas and bold new directions. A golden age of real progress.

Oh, who am I kidding. But, one can always dream.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Japan Studio, I just want to say something to you. I have been meaning to say something to you for a while now, but I just haven't found the words. Well, now I have: I love you. I love you so damn much. Keep being awesome, no matter what others say. :D