Sony Answers Prayers, Delivers In-Game XMB

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sony Answers Prayers, Delivers In-Game XMB

And lo, were the cries of the PlayStation faithful for in-game XMB finally answered with firmware update v2.40.

A post on the PlayStation.blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/17/firmware-v236-coming-soon-v240-to-include-trophies-in-game-xmb/] confirms that the update will contain the much-desired in-game access to the PlayStation 3's "XrossMediaBar."

At last year's E3, Sony used some cheeky t-shirts to poke fun at the PlayStation 3 community's apparent obsession with the feature.

The 2.40 update will also include trophies (read: Sony's take on Achievements), as well as "other new enhancements."

There is one tiny catch, however. The next scheduled update, which is coming "soon," is only 2.36. No XMB or trophies coming in that one, just improved "system stability when playing selected PlayStation format" games.

So there's still a bit of waiting to do, PS3 lovers.

The_woods_man

May 13, 2008
What use will an in game XMB be though? Will it allow us to play music whilst playing games? Or look through photos? I don't really get why we would want this...

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
The idea is to allow for messaging while in games like the 360. In short access to specific parts of the system interface from any game.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Yes, it will also allow user-made soundtracks, and presumably download management, too.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Interested to see exactly how the trophies will work, wether or not it's going to be a direct port of achievements or not.

Bravo315

Jun 4, 2008
Yeah, I just downloaded 2,36 today. I cant wait for 2,40!

I was so close to selling my PS3 (Crappy UK store, low game library, Home and LBP delays etc) but then I found out this and Resistance 2 is coming out! Yay!