Sony Bend Introduces Days Gone at E3 With New Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sony Bend Introduces Days Gone at E3 With New Trailer

The newest game from Uncharted: Golden Abyss developer Bend Studio is open-world action-adventure title Days Gone.

There were a few new IPs shown off at Sony's E3 press conference earlier this week, and the company closed out its show with one of the more interesting ones: Days Gone. Set two years after a global pandemic that has wiped out or transformed most of the population, the game puts you in the shoes of a bounty hunter named Deacon St. John.

With much of the surviving population transformed into mindless feral creatures called Freakers, you'll need all your skills, abilities, and wits to survive.

There's no word yet on when Days Gone might actually release, but you can check out a gameplay video below.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Those zombies seriously don't hang about! The only thing that annoys me is that you could see each zombie halt their aggression every time they reached the player character. Are they confused dogs chasing cars that forget what they're supposed to be doing when it's crunch time, or are they going to act like zombies and fucking eat me like a real zombie would?? I don't want no panzy-ass pretender zombies, unable to put their money where their mouths are...fucking destroy me, damnit! *Ahem* Sorry. Also they die too easily to look like a credible threat, like a football player falling over at the slightest hint of Floral resistance. The way they disappear so quickly is giving me strong reason to assume these hordes are all in this poor guy's head, perhaps he is running from past guilt of terrible atrocities and this will get all Silent Hill on us.
One can hope.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Too bad it's not an actual game about bikers on the road. That would be spectacular. But alas, it's another fuckin' zombie game.

Vanished

Jul 5, 2014
So most of the population has been transformed into ghouls trying to eat or simply murder everyone. I'm assuming the survivors are doing what they can to stay alive, but in all of this chaos there's still bounty hunters? They aren't zombies, because a bullet to just anywhere wouldn't kill a zombie and his mindless shooting into the crowds would have landed him as lunch much quicker, but they also seem to be giving him the opportunity to keep'em off. I'm really confused as to why he bothers to stop to shoot them at all if he can just run ahead of them. I liked the beginning, but it all slid downhill for me the moment the swarm appeared.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ugh, bikers... Why'd have to be bikers?

Also, anybody else noticing how developers can't seem to get enough of the rural setting this gen?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Can zombies, infected, and anything else zombie related just be retired for about a decade?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh for fucks sake. Its just the Last of Us with a Normen Redus mod and zombie speed x2. Does everything have to be a 3rd person, "survival horror" action adventure with crafting and a grizzly bearded man looking for or after a small child?

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Silentpony said:
Oh for fucks sake. Its just the Last of Us with a Normen Redus mod and zombie speed x2. Does everything have to be a 3rd person, "survival horror" action adventure with crafting and a grizzly bearded man looking for or after a small child?
No mention of a child in Days Gone, no mention of crafting either. They've said it's an action game too not horror

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
While the game looks pretty, the gameplay demo didn?t convince me. The zombies didn?t kill the guy when they should have(Either auto-regeneration or invulnerability debug), he had practically unlimited ammo the entire time, and the ending pan out showcased that the player wasn?t actually playing. No demo ever had a pan out mid-gameplay.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
A) Run as fast as you can, and gain 50 steps from the horde.
B) Throw down obstacles when you can, and gain 50 steps from the horde.
C) Navigate through tight areas and gain 50 steps from the horde.
D) Slowly backpedal while firing into the horde, and lose 80 steps from the horde.

I'll take D for 80 steps, Alex.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Kreett said:
Silentpony said:
No mention of a child in Days Gone, no mention of crafting either. They've said it's an action game too not horror
And Last of Us was billed an adventure game. In any case, this really is just another variant of LoU so far from what I'm seeing.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
transformed into mindless feral creatures called Freakers
They're zombies. Just call them zombies. If you aren't calling them zombies because you know that zombies are overplayed, then don't use zombies.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh thank goodness, I'd gone a whole two weeks without a zombie game and was getting worried.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I watched the trailer twice now, so where are the zombies in this game?

I was convince it's just The Last Of Us but without any zombie but the comments on here and Youtube said otherwise?

Ok I had to go to wiki to clarify it does have zombies in it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Xsjadoblayde said:
Those zombies seriously don't hang about! The only thing that annoys me is that you could see each zombie halt their aggression every time they reached the player character. Are they confused dogs chasing cars that forget what they're supposed to be doing when it's crunch time, or are they going to act like zombies and fucking eat me like a real zombie would?Also they die too easily to look like a credible threat, like a football player falling over at the slightest hint of Floral resistance.
The first one is a common tactic for stage demos. This is so that the gameplay doesn't get interrupted by death or anything like that. God mode is on for quite a lot of stage demos, actually.

The second one is apparently intentional just for the show floor. The zombies were made weaker so that the people who were playing the game at the event didn't die all that often.

OT: I was initially interested, at least until the guy started running from the zombies. The size of the horde sure was impressive, and they sprint like crazy, but it just didn't look at that interesting, at least when 50% of the demo was run run run run run, turn around, shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, run run run run run. The shooting didn't look all that meaty, either.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I liked it, but I'm a bit skeptical as to the efficiency of some of the options available to you when you sloooowly turn your back on a thrashing, hurtling horde to pick up things, or navigate a tricky bit of collision detection, or enter a crawl or hop animation cycle... shit like that could really piss me off, I suspect.

Don't mind that the protag is a dude, either.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
transformed into mindless feral creatures called Freakers
They're zombies. Just call them zombies. If you aren't calling them zombies because you know that zombies are overplayed, then don't use zombies.
Thank You. I'll admit I would have liked the Last of Us much more if the cordyceps infected/zombies weren't in it. A post apocalyptic game where humans are the only enemies would have been awesome.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Going from those vids it seems aggressively uninteresting and profoundly unambitious. How anyone thinks a 'post-outbreak'/zombie open-worlder featuring Another Generic White Dude With Gun (his design alone is a turn off, though if that is Sam Witwer I'm sure he'll do a great performance in a drab role) is a worthwhile use of creative energies is beyond me.

What's the point in spending time designing environments, rendering lighting and recording scores if it's just in service of such copy'n'paste tropes and 'features'?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
If someone told me that this was the Last of Us 2 except with a biker as the main character and the zombies mutated to no longer burst their heads open and instead just got a really bad skin condition I wouldn't think twice about it. The trailer didn't really deliver on making me interested in this IP and the "gameplay demo" gave me the impression that the "Freakers" are just really goofy with how often they had a hard time getting over small obstacles or couldn't seem to figure out that there was an open window right next to them or a big enough hole for them to squeeze through and continue their chase or the one that actually grabbed the player seemed really indifferent about what it was meant to be doing. It's like they're really bad World War Z zombies.