Sony Blows PlayStation 2 Earnings On PlayStation 3

X3heartless

Jul 29, 2008
People you all need to look at a border view of things Sony isn't a video game company but a corporation...they lost the console war,but they didn't cut it off at the knees,because they don't want to sell ps3.They want to sell the format bluray.Which is now dominating any other next gen format.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
shatnershaman post=7.68976.650539 said:
Jumplion post=7.68976.648774 said:
Besides, I think this situation is the same as the 360 and PS3 situation right now. 360 is only selling well in North America, and the PS3 is doing well everywhere else. To my knowledge (correct me if i'm wrong) Blu-ray has been doing better pretty much everywhere else.
After all, America's not so great at picking the winners. US took VHS when (I think) Betamax was the better choice, we chose Customary over Metric, we turned Football into Soccer, we took plenty of things that the rest of the world didn't.
Blu-ray doing better otherplaces against what?US blu-ray sales? DVD is owning Blu-ray everywhere (95,000 more movies helps) and VHS won though they chose the winner.
Umm..wait what? That proves my point even more how this is like the 360 and PS3 situation.

DVD had a I don't know how many years head start, let's say 10 years. Blu ray has been introduced (into the mainstream anyway) a little over 2 years ago (no, I do not care about PCs using BLu-ray drives, show me one game that required a BLu-ray disc on the PC) and I'll assume that Blu-ray did pretty good in it's first two yearsof market a little less or more than DVDs in their first two years.

And how did VHS win? And who chose the winner? From what I remember, Betamax was technically supirior than the VHS and the rest of the world got it except the US which went with the VHSs.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jumplion post=7.68976.650819 said:
And how did VHS win? And who chose the winner? From what I remember, Betamax was technically supirior than the VHS and the rest of the world got it except the US which went with the VHSs.
What the hell are you on about? Are you saying that Betamax won? If you are, I'd just like to point this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax] out.

The bit I want to highlight is this: "Betamax and VHS competed in a fierce format war which saw VHS come out on top in most markets."

X3heartless post=7.68976.650624 said:
People you all need to look at a border view of things Sony isn't a video game company but a corporation...they lost the console war,but they didn't cut it off at the knees,because they don't want to sell ps3.They want to sell the format bluray.Which is now dominating any other next gen format.
I never thought of it that way... makes sense actually. Even if the PS3 comes in last place (if, not saying it already has), Sony still reap in the dough buy marketing the thing as a Blu-ray player. Thanks for the insight.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Reminds me of something I learnt in my history class. Henry VIII spent all the money that his father, Henry VII, had saved up in the treasury.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.68976.650615 said:
right, you do know it can also upscale the quality of DVD video even on some 5 year old TVs?
So can a $50 HD-DVD player and that has an IR port and better audio.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
stompy post=7.68976.651696 said:
Jumplion post=7.68976.650819 said:
What the hell are you on about? Are you saying that Betamax won? If you are, I'd just like to point this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax] out.

The bit I want to highlight is this: "Betamax and VHS competed in a fierce format war which saw VHS come out on top in most markets."
Ah, my mistake. Must have been thinking of something else.

But for the Corporation thing, all the companies want to sell their items. It's called money, and that's the only thing their after. Nintedno just wants to sell their peripherals and casual friendly console to stupid parents and try to get more people into the business, Microsoft just wants you to buy their console, and Sony wants to promote Blu-ray which is pretty much the "next big thing" or whatever for developers to use in the future.

You can't single Sony out for trying to sell their stuff as all the other companies are trying to sell their stuff to people, it's business, it's money.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jumplion post=7.68976.653135 said:
But for the Corporation thing, all the companies want to sell their items. It's called money, and that's the only thing their after. Nintedno just wants to sell their peripherals and casual friendly console to stupid parents and try to get more people into the business, Microsoft just wants you to buy their console, and Sony wants to promote Blu-ray which is pretty much the "next big thing" or whatever for developers to use in the future.

You can't single Sony out for trying to sell their stuff as all the other companies are trying to sell their stuff to people, it's business, it's money.
I'm not trying to single out Sony, and I'm sorry if it came out that way. I was trying to say how Sony may try and market the PS3 as more than a console. Even if the PS3 isn't so successful as a games console, it can still be viable to Sony if it sells well as a Blu-ray player, furthering Sony's hold over the Blu-ray player market.

It's just another way to look at the article.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
stompy post=7.68976.655313 said:
Jumplion post=7.68976.653135 said:

I'm not trying to single out Sony, and I'm sorry if it came out that way. I was trying to say how Sony may try and market the PS3 as more than a console. Even if the PS3 isn't so successful as a games console, it can still be viable to Sony if it sells well as a Blu-ray player, furthering Sony's hold over the Blu-ray player market.

It's just another way to look at the article.
Yes that is true. But on the other hand, that Blu-ray player is probably the reason they're claiming it could last up to 10 years, the PS2 is certainly nearing it's 10 year stretch.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Jumplion post=7.68976.655474 said:
Yes that is true. But on the other hand, that Blu-ray player is probably the reason they're claiming it could last up to 10 years, the PS2 is certainly nearing it's 10 year stretch.
What has been released on the PS2 since 2007 that is of significance (Madden 08 and 09 don't count they are even on the original Xbox)

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
where the hell has this thread gone man?

We're talking about Ps3 and 360 losing money not beta max, for that matter this is better suited as 'Nintendo wins, thus cementing the phrase 'we're fucked'' As long as this thing continues all the fun and "innovation" we'll get is gimmicks and poor quality ones at that.

Stop bickering about PS3 vs. 360, and focus on how to sledge hammer Nintendo's balls so hard they can no longer reproduce a POS console again. and possibly say myiamoto from being gagged and forced to do the say old song and dance.

Oh I guess I got off track too but still it holds as much relevence as the other posts as to good consoles are dieing at the hands of shit.

also I'd like to state that I have no problem with casual it can be fun but if we have to sacrifice quality then why? I like casuals people as long as they have fun instead of just being sick of this.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.68976.657497 said:
Guitar Hero 3, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Rock Band, Lego Indiana Jones, The Force unleashed, Ghostbusters, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, and a fair amount of shared titles with the Wii.
GH3 and Rock band are 2007 and I don't see a single exclusive(RC:SM is a bad PSP port) or blockbuster in the rest of the bunch. God of War 2 was the end of those.

EDIT:I guess I set my self up with the Madden part, that was to hold of the Maddenites who maintain its a amazing yearly blockbuster.

CAB0SE

Aug 20, 2008
I did appreciate fuzzylandmine's comment, awesome.

Indingo's right about the multi titles, though. It's not like all of the other systems are shy about touting how great these games are, and atleast PS2 owners aren't left in the lurch.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
CAB0SE post=7.68976.657525 said:

Indingo's right about the multi titles, though. It's not like all of the other systems are shy about touting how great these games are, and atleast PS2 owners aren't left in the lurch.
PS2 was left out of well almost everything (DMC4,GTA4,MGS4,RC:FTD,RE5,COD4 etc)

squirrelman42

Dec 13, 2007
I'm never going to buy a blu-ray player so long as DVD's are still being made. PS3, you make me sad at your bulk

CAB0SE

Aug 20, 2008
Everything that the "hardcore" audience is into, but chances are they've already bought their PS3/360. Sony changed the PS2 about a year ago into a "casual" system, and at half the price of the Wii with an arguably equal punch in atleast hardware. (The quotation marks show me being PC so as not to offend and start fights)

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
CAB0SE post=7.68976.657525 said:

PS2 was left out of well almost everything (DMC4,GTA4,MGS4,RC:FTD,RE5,COD4 etc)[/quote]So you're saying you think all of those games could have been ported to the Ps2? The system is on par for the Wii in terms of power, but with no motion sensing. Anything the Wii can get, so can the Ps2. Thats pretty much the limit.[/quote]

Down grade the graphics (ala COD3) and sure (would work for at least RC and DMC4)

CAB0SE post=7.68976.657589 said:
Everything that the "hardcore" audience is into, but chances are they've already bought their PS3/360.
But GTA 3,vice,san andreas sales(on PS2) vs GTA 4(360/PS3) show this is wrong.

Indigo_Dingo post=7.68976.657595 said:
squirrelman42 post=7.68976.657587 said:
I'm never going to buy a blu-ray player so long as DVD's are still being made. PS3, you make me sad at your bulk
...You like switching between multiple discs in a box set?
I think he believes the extra $200 is worth the "exercise".

EDIT:This is a mess.

-Meow