Sony Brings Dirt-Cheap Video Rentals Back to the PS3

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Sony Brings Dirt-Cheap Video Rentals Back to the PS3

Select PlayStation Network movies are now available for $0.99.

Reviving a three-year-old rental plan, Sony announced PS3 owners can once again rent designated PSN content for a discounted price. These movies will be available in standard definition for $0.99 and in high definition for $1.99. Content purchased through this promotion will follow Sony's standard 14-day rental policy.

Just last month, Sony ran a limited test run with slashed prices for Saw, Crank, Pi, and Employee of the Month. Apparently it was pleased with the results.

From August 16-22, the following hodgepodge of cut-rate content will be available:

Bonded By Blood, Carver, Deadly Blessing, Devil in the Flesh (aka Teacher's Pet 2), Illuminating Angels and Demons, JFK: Reckless Youth (Parts 1 and 2), The Longshots, Salvage, Shank, Sicko, and Tony.

Sony promises to refresh the list every Tuesday, so if the current crop doesn't suit you (I can't imagine why), maybe next week will be better.

What do you think? With cheap, content-rich services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Vudu available, can you see yourself renting via PSN?

Sources: <a href=http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/222095/your-ps3-can-now-rent-movies-on-the-cheap/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GameProNews+%28GamePro.com+Daily+News%29&utm_content=Twitter>GamePro, <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36612/Sony_Brings_Back_99_Cent_PSN_Video_Rentals_in_US_Canada.php>Gamasutra

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
If that's an indicator of what they're going to be offering? No, thank you, but I'll stick to NFlix and Hulu.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Meh. It seems like a case of "Oh, you thought you could rent Iron Man for $0.99? That's cute. I mean yeah, you can. It's the Vietnamese low-budget version of Iron Man, 'Steel Warrior' though."

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
tk1989 said:
Lol, I dont think I have heard of any of those films....
Oh come on, you must of heard of Crank, its Jason Statham doing ridiculous shit... I laminated my BluRay to make sure it keeps "fresh"

Pi's pretty cool too, if its the film I'm thinking about that is, really sweet film and quite cerebral, the only thing wrong with the film is Jason Statham isn't in it out for revenge.

Esper Empress

May 10, 2011
I'd actually do that if I had the craving of a movie that is on the list since I don't have Netflix and Hulu. Although, they just have to be movies I'd want to see.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Arontala said:
Catchy Slogan said:
I'm guessing this is only for the US?
Why would it be US only? if it was country exclusive, it would probably be Japan, not the U.S.

OT: Probably not. Then again, I don't watch movies. Like, at all.
It probably has more to do with licensing issues for the movies/tv shows that they pick. Isn't that the main reason hulu is so dodgy outside of the US?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
If they're going to even think about making a genuine effort in the realm of rentals they're going to have to really try a lot harder. Sony's got a lot of property, so it wouldn't be impossible, hell I'd even welcome the competition between services. This half-assery seems like a failure waiting to happen... again.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
I'm guessing this is only for the US?
I'm wondering that as well.
The movies right now aren't exactly stellar, could be just because they want it to be international and good movie rights are hard. But if there's a good film there I can definitely see myself renting it through PSN.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
ColdStorage said:
tk1989 said:
Lol, I dont think I have heard of any of those films....
Oh come on, you must of heard of Crank, its Jason Statham doing ridiculous shit... I laminated my BluRay to make sure it keeps "fresh"

Pi's pretty cool too, if its the film I'm thinking about that is, really sweet film and quite cerebral, the only thing wrong with the film is Jason Statham isn't in it out for revenge.
I have heard of some of the films in the first batch; Crank, Saw and Employee of the month. Havent heard of any of the films which are available this week though, sorry if I wasnt clear on that.