Sony Buys Gaikai Cloud Gaming Service

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Sony Buys Gaikai Cloud Gaming Service

Sony takes its first step towards a cloud-shaped future.

Following speculation earlier this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117523-Rumor-Sony-to-Purchase-Cloud-Gaming-Service] that Sony was considering expanding its cloud-based gaming horizons, the company has now announced its acquisition of cloud gaming service Gaikai. Sony picked up the service and all of its accoutrements for the princely sum of $380 million, and will reportedly use them to launch a brand-new cloud gaming service of its very own.

Andrew House, group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE), sounds pretty pleased with the deal. "By combining Gaikai's resources including its technological strength and engineering talent with SCE's extensive game platform knowledge and experience, SCE will provide users with unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences," said House.

House added, "SCE will deliver a world-class cloud-streaming service that allows users to instantly enjoy a broad array of content ranging from immersive core games with rich graphics to casual content anytime, anywhere on a variety of internet-connected devices."

Grand as this sounds, Sony is yet to indicate exactly what it intends to do with all of this cloudy technology. Rumors are sure to abound, with many comments finding roots in the idea that cloud gaming will form an integral part of the hypothetical PlayStation 4. Much closer to solid ground are suggestions that Sony will use the cloud to stream PSOne and PlayStation 2 [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-01-sony-brings-backwards-compatibility-to-playstation-with-gaikai-deal] games to modern consoles (including the Vita), tablets, and televisions, effectively bringing backwards compatability to its new platforms.

With analysts having suggested that Gaikai would take in excess of $500 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118033-Gaikai-Goes-Up-For-Sale] when put up for sale, Sony could have stolen away with a decent deal here. If implemented correctly, a cloud gaming service that hooks up neatly across all of its hardware could be a serious asset for Sony's current- and next-gen portfolio. Is this where the next generation of gaming is heading, and should we expect to see similar moves from the other big hardware manufacturers in the future? Set phasers to speculate, Escapists; we're all ears.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-02-sony-acquires-gaikai-for-USD380m]

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
If they make it an optional thing (buy a hard copy or use cloud gaming) I think this will be a good thing. If they make it mandatory on the other hand, well, making you buy expensive hardware then make it useless with Cloud Gaming would be very silly.

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
An interesting and expected move from Sony frankly. Even though I'm not the biggest supporter of cloud-gaming it would be interesting if they would use this as a replacement for backwards compatibility, you know streaming ps1/ps2 games would be cool, or for instant demos with no download. But if they're gonna use it for new games it should be optional since a lot of people still prefer having physical media they risk alienating a huge part of their customer base if they make it obligatory.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Bring on the cloud gaming. Owning games is for suckers. Play it for 10-20 hours then trade it in for a net loss of 65% or more? Bleh.

I'd pay upwards of 30 bucks a month to play whatever I wanted. To not alienate an audience allow for a "checkout" mode that allows some one to have X number of games on the HD. Revoke the license to one, to checkout another. If you don't pay for the service, then you can no longer play the games. **

That would be an awesome mix of current PS Plus and cloud tech. Of course, if people want to buy the physical games, let them. But the option to cloud it up with checkout would be sexy.

**Checkout mode must allow for offline play. Please don't make shittastic DRM checks.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
My biggest issue with the cloud is that pesky bandwidth cap most people have to deal with, myself included. I stream all my movies and TV through Netflix, and play a lot of LoL and I've almost broken my bandwidth cap multiple times. If I had to stream my console games on top of that, I'd be screwed.

Xersues

Dec 11, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Watch Dogs comes closer to reality everyday.
Xersues said:
**Checkout mode must allow for offline play. Please don't make shittastic DRM checks.
And there's the problem: it's not going to be what's best for you, it's going to be what makes them the most money.
True that, but right now PS Plus allows for free games that are installed to your harddrive (Which is finite in space), works in offline mode, and ceases to work once PS plus is inactive. I'm hoping they'll keep that same philosophy.

Captcha: hard cheese

Indeed it is. Smelly too.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
As long as it is a "purchase" and not a "rental". And it had better be cheap as all hell. As in $1 for ps1 game, $2 for ps2.

Otherwise I'm bypassing yet another gaming gen. Meh I'll always have nethack, dwarf fortress and slightly more modern items on steam.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Would be awesome if Sony would include a stripped down version of the PS Store on their Bravia televisions.

Hook up a PS3 controller through bluetooth and streamplay PS1 and PS2 titles directly through your new Bravia set...

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Xersues said:
Bring on the cloud gaming. Owning games is for suckers. Play it for 10-20 hours then trade it in for a net loss of 65% or more? Bleh.

I'd pay upwards of 30 bucks a month to play whatever I wanted. To not alienate an audience allow for a "checkout" mode that allows some one to have X number of games on the HD. Revoke the license to one, to checkout another. If you don't pay for the service, then you can no longer play the games. **

That would be an awesome mix of current PS Plus and cloud tech. Of course, if people want to buy the physical games, let them. But the option to cloud it up with checkout would be sexy.

Of course it's not going to work offline - it's CLOUD gaming. All of the code and data exists on a server somewhere in the cloud. Nothing is local to your machine. All you get is a streamed AV feed.

Xersues

Dec 11, 2009
DiamanteGeeza said:
Of course it's not going to work offline - it's CLOUD gaming. All of the code and data exists on a server somewhere in the cloud. Nothing is local to your machine. All you get is a streamed AV feed.
Sure, but don't think so small, Sony sells lots of hardware. TVs/Consoles, Portable gaming rigs, memory cards, and speakers to name a few. You can't stream things to the Vita and call yourself "portable". So while the cloud option is viable, it is just as viable for them to allow for a limited offline component, as they do now.

At best they'll use this to cover their bases and create a broader offering, something Sony has been known to do in order to distinguish itself.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
rhizhim said:
but where is the fun in taking all your money without gaming shoeboxes?
you really need that console to lease those great mediocre games comming in the future.

well maybe you can get a knockdown on the monthly price by watching those in game commercial breaks sony has patented:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.376304-sony-patented-advertisement-during-gameplay

Well yeah, the 'core' games would still be released on the consoles, but using Bravia televisions as a platform to release older games from previous generations and your everyday PSN content, they would have a huge market to sell their content to.

If they play their cards right with this streaming business, they could do some pretty awesome things.

Capcha: dream big
How appropriate.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah, I think I am about ready to give up gaming. I am not at all interested in some scheme like OnLive has.

Let me lay it out for folks who don't know. Hopefully this information isn't out of date, it's been about a year since I looked into it.

- You "buy" game for full price ($60), it's only available it for 3 years
- You must maintain the monthly fee to have access to the games you rented for full price
- If you suspend your account (stop paying) fpr more than 12 months, they close your account taking all your "purchases" with it.

Who in their right mind would do that?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
this won't end badly at all, no sir-y bob ......

just one more reason I'm glad to have left for PC land

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks Sony... Just another in a very long line of reasons to hate you.

Im not only to the point of completely boycotting Sony... Im contemplating replacing all my old Sony products such as Car stereos, Home stereo, etc that I built up over the years actually supporting these people.

Just another loathesome step from a company that has gotten to be rather loathesome in its own right. But on the bright side, if there is anyone who was going to buy a company that should not exist, Im glad it was with a company that already had done enough to earn hatred on its own merits.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Xersues said:
DiamanteGeeza said:
Sure, but don't think so small, Sony sells lots of hardware. TVs/Consoles, Portable gaming rigs, memory cards, and speakers to name a few. You can't stream things to the Vita and call yourself "portable". So while the cloud option is viable, it is just as viable for them to allow for a limited offline component, as they do now.

At best they'll use this to cover their bases and create a broader offering, something Sony has been known to do in order to distinguish itself.
In the context of what this topic is about (Gaikai), it's not going to work offline.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, if you want cloud gaming to fail, put it in the hands of companies that already like to shit on customers. Seems like a poor idea. There is honestly far to many infrastructure problems to deal with in regards to this subject as it stands, all irrational dislike aside.