Sony CEO Dismisses Wii as "Niche" Product

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Sony CEO Dismisses Wii as "Niche" Product

The massively popular Nintendo Wii is merely an "expensive niche" product, Sony CEO Howard Stringer recently said.

Speaking at the Allen & Co Media Conference, Stringer dimissed the Wii as a potential competitor to the PlayStation 3.

"I've played a Nintendo Wii," he said, "I don't see it as a competitor. It's more of an expensive niche game device. We're selling a lot of PlayStation 3s now and it's still the best way to buy a Blu-ray player."

Both Sony and Microsoft officials have spoken of the Wii with a mixture of derision and contempt, claiming it is not a competing product.

This is a rather convenient position, as the Wii's monthly sales numbers consistently put both other consoles to shame, leaving open the question what is truly "niche" about it.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/14/sony-ceo-wii-is-expensive-niche]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Seeing as they're backing a system that just got seriously fucked they really shouldn't be criticizing nintendo's MUCH more successful business model.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
It's sort of true though. It seems to me like everyone owns a Wii for family and friendly multiplayer, and either a PS3 or 360. Some people own all three, some people only own one. But it seems to me like the Wii, with its cheap price tag and overall completely different style of games, it's not even really part of the competition.

Churchman

Jun 21, 2008
I agree, the Wii is not a competitor to the PS3, because the wii already kicked it in the balls, and pushed down a cliff. Ending all competition right there.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I think Mr. Stringer has it backwards; the PS3 is the expensive niche device.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Churchman said:
I agree, the Wii is not a competitor to the PS3, because the wii already kicked it in the balls, and pushed down a cliff. Ending all competition right there.
Ha! The Wii isn't a competitor because Sony and Microsoft are both competing for second in this console war, especially once the Wii gets that really interesting looking FPS with system optimized graphics (cannot recall title) and Arc Rise Fantasia to appease the Hard Core crowd.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Churchman said:
Ha! The Wii isn't a competitor because Sony and Microsoft are both competing for second in this console war, especially once the Wii gets that really interesting looking FPS with system optimized graphics (cannot recall title) and Arc Rise Fantasia to appease the Hard Core crowd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5EhfHNPA8g

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
A niche product? Lol, In my opinion only rich idiots with huge TVs want a PS3. Maybe they're a tad bitter because the Wii is doing so well. I agree with Churchman, ''The Wii already kicked it in the balls, then pushed it down a cliff''.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
I agree and disagree, the Wii can not really be put in the same category with the Xbox 360 and PS3 since in terms of hardware both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are leaps and bounds above the Wii, so I agree in that the products could be classified differently. However I disagree that it isn't competition to the Xbox 360 and PS3 since it's quite obvious it is, a competitor is someone who sells a product that would seriously eat into sales of your own product.

However I think ultimately the Wii will be the 'second' console in the home, since I think having more then 1 console in the home will start to become much more popular over the next few years and the Wii is a great way to ease people into that, since people may not be able to afford the Xbox 360 and PS3 and then support them with games that cost quite a bit. So basically I think owning a PS3 or Xbox 360 for more intensive gaming with a few games and owning a Wii with quite a lot of fun and cheap games will start to become the norm.

of course Nintendo here will be the ultimate winner for appealing to a much larger market and even if my predictions come true, they would hold the upperground since although it would be classified as the 'second' console in the home, it would probably beat the rest hands down in sales.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
the Wii is competition to the PS3 and 360 in the same way that Upscaled DVD Players are competition against Blu-Ray and HDVD players.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Oh, this is painful.

To dismiss the power Nintendo has with the Wii is just, well, stupid and idiotic.

Maybe he needs to realize that even CEO's have to face the truth some times.

Dcarty745

Mar 12, 2008
In my opinion, the Wii has better more original games. To me, the only good exclusive games for PS3 are Resistance and Uncharted, both of which I could live without. 360 and Wii FTW!

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Dcarty745 said:
In my opinion, the Wii has better more original games. To me, the only good exclusive games for PS3 are Resistance and Uncharted, both of which I could live without. 360 and Wii FTW!
In my opinion the Wii has very few original games, I like Nintendo but how long do they have to abuse their game franchises like Mario, Sonic etc. would love to see some creativity so they could actually come up with some new iconic characters.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Skrapt said:
Dcarty745 said:
In my opinion the Wii has very few original games, I like Nintendo but how long do they have to abuse their game franchises like Mario, Sonic etc. would love to see some creativity so they could actually come up with some new iconic characters.
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

I mean, we can only save the same princess so many times before we want more.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
As long as they keep underestimating Nintendo like that (and like they've always had) Sony and MS will NEVER beat them with the PS3 and 360 respectively on this console race.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Gahars said:
Skrapt said:
Dcarty745 said:
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

I mean, we can only save the same princess so many times before we want more.
I think history shows that's simply not true : P

And that goes for saving the earth from aliens, shooting terrorists and kicking god's ass too.