Sony CEO Gives PS4 Games $0.99 to $60 Price Range

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Sony CEO Gives PS4 Games $0.99 to $60 Price Range

Jack Tretton believes that gamers are "willing to pay if they see the value" in what Sony has to offer for the next generation.

Though we still don't know the price at which the PlayStation 4 will launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122261-Updated-PlayStation-4-Becomes-Reality?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all], SCEA CEO Jack Tretton assured CNBC that the price of software won't be rising. Stating that the console is "designed with the game developer in mind and the consumer in mind," he gave a price range of 99 cents to $60 for games, meaning we can expect comparable pricing to what we've seen this generation.

"I think people are willing to pay if they see the value there," Tretton added. Several games have been announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122266-Updated-First-PS4-Games-Shown-at-PlayStation-Meeting] for the PS4, among them Activision and Bungie's Destiny, Blizzard's nine-month-old Diablo III, Ubisoft's Watch Dogs, and the next games in the inFamous and Killzone series.

He also addressed complaints that Sony did not show the actual console it was announcing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122270-Sony-Decides-Not-to-Show-the-PS4-at-the-PS4-Event] at Wednesday's PlayStation Meeting, explaining that gamers would care more about "what comes out of the box, not what it looks like. I can promise you that it will be plastic, it won't be triangle shaped or round. You'll see the box in due time."

The PS4 is due out at some "pre-Christmas" point this holiday season, and Tretton said we'd hear more from "several key events between now and the launch date."

Source: Polygon [http://www.cnbc.com/id/100480852]

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
$800 Bob? "Right that is $800 for this man."

Bob I want to bid $801 "$801 for this jerk over here"

$900 Dollars Bob. "And $900 for the lady"

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
This does actually sound pretty good. Not every game is woth £40, so having some change in the price range is a great thing. The main problem with this, however, is that stuff below the full price is just generally regarded as shovelware, so there's gonna have to be some damn good low-price game to turn that around.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
If you can sell those games at a $0.99 to $60 range in Australia, sir, you will have my money. And my gratitude. I hope you truly considered all regions when you made that promise.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
This sounds like a great idea to me. One of the things I like about PS3 games is that they seem to be cheaper than games on say the 360.
For example I just got a new copy of Sly 4 for only $40, which I find to be a great deal.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
slash2x said:
$800 Bob? "Right that is $800 for this man."

Bob I want to bid $801 "$801 for this jerk over here"

$900 Dollars Bob. "And $900 for the lady"
$1 Bob! I'm not too surprised by this. Don't the PS Minis sell for $0.99? This probably confirms they will continue to do those as well as their normal AAA titles and everything in between. I think they also mentioned more mobile integration at the press conference.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
explaining that gamers would care more about "what comes out of the box, not what it looks like. I can promise you that it will be plastic, it won't be triangle shaped or round. You'll see the box in due time."
Speak for yourself man, I was hoping for a round, metal console this generation,
and I personally have a collection of the boxes these things come in, I'm very proud of it.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
It won't be triangle shaped? Darn. Guess I'll have to keep waiting for my chance to relive my fond memories of my old Coleco Telstar Arcade.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What they mean is cheap crappy apps style games for down load will be cheap. As will old PS1/PS2 games. PS3 downloaded games maybe about £20. All PS4 games will be full price.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Very reasonable. But I thought it's the publishers that decide how much to sell their games for? Maybe he is only talking about first party games.

I wouldn't be surprised to see those very high profile games from our favourite major publishers go beyond the current full price price tag. Which to be honest is also reasonable seeing as those games have insane development costs.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I'm actually more interested in how much they'll charge to start downloading PS3 games to the PS4. I've never owned a PS3, and have a great many games I want to play for it.

Since owning a Vita, I've actually had more fun downloading PSP titles I never got the chance to play, all with slightly improved graphics, a better screen, and better controls, all at pretty reasonable prices (for most games, which is £7.99).

Would be great to see the same kind of thing happen with PS3 games. If the price isn't all that good, or they don't release pretty much all PS3 games to the PS4, I might just buy the now cheaper PS3 console and have a blast buying games for that system at a cheap price.