Sony Changes PSN Europe Passwords As Precaution, Forgets To Tell Users

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
KarmaTheAlligator said:
OT: You've really got to wonder what went through the heads of the Sony employees (or executives, whichever made the call) when they decided not to tell anyone that their passwords got reset. Didn't they realise how people would react? While I approve of them taking swift measures, the way they handled it left a lot to be desired.
If you think that's bad you should the SCEE Playstation blog. There's been uproar on there recently for a variety of reasons (many of which centre around changes to plus) but there has been little to no communication with customers, despite the fact the blog is specifically there for just that.

I swear Sony must have some kind of grudge against Europe because they treat NA customers a fair bit better than this.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Chaosritter said:
Let's see: massive hardware failures, online service fuck ups, poor conflict managing...

I'd say Sony's mockery of MS and the XBONE fires back now. Karma is a *****, you know...
Not sure how selling a million consoles in a day counts as back firing but each to their own.

OT: Stupid mistake by Sony, still at least they realised before the PS4 hit Europe.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Chaosritter said:
Bug MuIdoon said:
Chaosritter said:
Bug MuIdoon said:
Sorry, but when exactly did they have massive hardware failures?
Missed the reports of thousands of PS4's that either arrived dead or died within hours?
No, but I saw the reports that state they effect less than 1% of consoles. Which, is a pretty decent figure within any tech based industry, not just gaming.
1% of a million sold systems at that time translates to 10.000 broken consoles.

Might be a tolerable figure from a technical point of view, but it's a PR nightmare.
At this point it's mostly just used as a bullet point for people trying to justify their hatred of the system. Most people who actually bought the systems (aka people who actually matter and not just internet posters) are annoyed but acknowledge it's always an issue with early adoption of a new technology.

The fact that your earlier post says that this somehow vindicates Sony's previous mockery of Microsoft's draconian Xbox 1 policies through "karma" shows your own level of bias in this story.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Chaosritter said:
I'd say Sony's mockery of MS and the XBONE fires back now. Karma is a *****, you know...
What mockery would that be? Do you have a source for Sony mocking Microsoft and the Xbox One?

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Doclector said:
Then the entire hardcore console market is thrown into disarray. If so, nintendo, if you were thinking about reclaiming the hardcore market, now would be the opportune moment.
That's hilarious on so many levels.

Just for starters: the idea that Nintendo ever had the "hardcore" market in the first place, and the idea that they have any chance whatsoever of reclaiming it, no matter how much the competition screws up.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Bug MuIdoon said:
Chaosritter said:
Bug MuIdoon said:
Missed the reports of thousands of PS4's that either arrived dead or died within hours?
No, but I saw the reports that state they effect less than 1% of consoles. Which, is a pretty decent figure within any tech based industry, not just gaming.
Knowing that a million PS4s have already sold in the US alone, id say that "less than 1%" potentially is thousands of defective units.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
gigastar said:
Knowing that a million PS4s have already sold in the US alone, id say that "less than 1%" potentially is thousands of defective units.
Going by only by figures I've seen reported, at least 1 million units have been sold. Reporting a <1% failure rate. That's 10,000 defects at it's maximum (per 1m).

After the first year iPhone 4 had a failure rate of 2.1%. The PS3 had a failure rate of 10%. Heck even Durex condoms (the "safest" contraception) have a failure rate of 1.04%.

1% is pretty decent for a brand spanking new piece of tech. Quite frankly the people who are complaining about their PS4 arriving dead are a bit daft. What did they expect? It's unlucky that it's them, and it sucks I'm sure, but this happens with any product.

I highly doubt M$ will have any it any better.

And please read the rest of the thread, or at least the one from yesterday as this has all been said before by a million people.http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129812-Sony-Red-Line-Of-Death-Affects-Less-Than-1-of-PS4s

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Can I get a new password and log back in then? That sort of information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Chaosritter said:
Let's see: massive hardware failures, online service fuck ups, poor conflict managing...

Err they haven't had massive hardware failures, but I guess your going to hate regardless.
A 1% failure rate is a low failure rate, if anything it should be applauded. I wonder if you'll say then if the XBO has the same 16% rating of the 360..... I'm guessing no.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
This sounds like it could be an Onion headline, it's so insane. Heads are rolling at Sony as we speak, no doubt.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Chaosritter said:
Bug MuIdoon said:
Chaosritter said:
Bug MuIdoon said:

Might be a tolerable figure from a technical point of view, but it's a PR nightmare.
As opposed to Microsoft's nearly 40% rate of red ring on the first generation 360's this is... bad but not yet reached that legendary status. Yes you read that right. Nearly 40% of the first batches of 360's they shipped out had the red ring lurgy. (which they fixed expediently with the next batch but the first was legendary)

This is nowhere near nightmare status.

Also I did lol at one of the comments my friends made about it when he tried to log into PSN earlier. Had something to do with the Chinese mafia but I knew about this already and figured it was Sony goofing, especially considering how anal he is about security.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Chaosritter said:

there are no massive hardware failures, the online service fuck ups are in europe where PS4 is not launched yet and the conflict management while admitedly not the best situation is at least being handled.
Id say you dont know what your talking about.

Chaosritter said:
Yes, indeed i did, as there were no such reports ever made.

Chaosritter said:

Its not tolerable figure, its AMAZING figure. ANd there is no nightmare, everyone with a brain knew its going to happen and in fact probably expected much more considering all other previuos consoles had higher failure rate.

Aardvaarkman said:
What mockery would that be? Do you have a source for Sony mocking Microsoft and the Xbox One?

Aardvaarkman said:
That's hilarious on so many levels.

Just for starters: the idea that Nintendo ever had the "hardcore" market in the first place, and the idea that they have any chance whatsoever of reclaiming it, no matter how much the competition screws up.
well, back in N64 days or SNES days they kinda did.

Chaosritter said:
Actually, I'd laugh even harder about MS fucking up again.

Most of Sony's PR before the launch was basically "at least it's not the XBOX One". Now they're fucking up the same way MS did back in 2005. Remember that the launch was just a week ago and we already got thousands of dead consoles, the original 360 lasted at least a few months before showing red lights. :D
Absolute numbers mean nothing. stop using them. The failure rate is less than 1% which is amazingly low. So low in fact that i tend not to believe them because nothing launches with so little failure and especially not something as complex as console.
On the other hand Xbox 360 had 40%+ failure rate on arrival. thats 40 times MORE.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Strazdas said:
Aardvaarkman said:
That video doesn't even mention Microsoft or Xbox once.

Most of Sony's PR before the launch was basically "at least it's not the XBOX One".
Again, do you have a link to where Sony says this in their PR?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Tomfoolery, tomfoolery, tomfoolery... You know, I still have my PS2. I never "upgraded" to a PS3, and from the looks of things, I won't be getting a PS4 either.

Sony... why do you and Microsoft insist on turning me off of your newest consoles?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
It's sort of hard not to think less of gamers when they continually deploy reasoning that would see them quickly torn apart discussing practically anything else. Seriously, take this level of false equivalency, or this sort of fundamental misunderstanding of prob/stats, into P&R and you get eviscerated.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
That video doesn't even mention Microsoft or Xbox once.

Most of Sony's PR before the launch was basically "at least it's not the XBOX One".
Again, do you have a link to where Sony says this in their PR?
It is illegal to say that in any advertisement directly.
Context is key here. This video was posted 1 day after Xbox told us that it will not allow disc sharing.
And around that time most of Sonys announcements was 1 day after Xbox announcement announcing completely opposite choice. Granted the person you quoted oversimplified it beyond reason. It was more like "look at us, we still do all the things perviuos consoles did and Xbox doesnt".

FieryTrainwreck said:
It's sort of hard not to think less of gamers when they continually deploy reasoning that would see them quickly torn apart discussing practically anything else. Seriously, take this level of false equivalency, or this sort of fundamental misunderstanding of prob/stats, into P&R and you get eviscerated.
Not sure if your rambling about OP, posters here or someone specifically as you quoted noone. I dont see how changing your password and not informing you is "Bad reason for anger". After all i come home try to play a game and bam password does not work, account locked. whats the first though? someone hacked in again.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Strazdas said:
Aardvaarkman said:
It is illegal to say that in any advertisement directly.
That's a rather sweeping statement. Which law is this and what states/countries does it apply to? I'm pretty sure the First Amendment would trump any such law in the USA.

Context is key here. This video was posted 1 day after Xbox told us that it will not allow disc sharing. And around that time most of Sonys announcements was 1 day after Xbox announcement announcing completely opposite choice. Granted the person you quoted oversimplified it beyond reason. It was more like "look at us, we still do all the things perviuos consoles did and Xbox doesnt".
So, Sony promoting a feature of their system amounts to "mockery"? The only way that Sony's statement could come close to to mockery would be if there was truth to the idea that Microsoft was restricting features that were previously taken for granted. And if it's true, then what's wrong with stating the truth?

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
That's a rather sweeping statement. Which law is this and what states/countries does it apply to? I'm pretty sure the First Amendment would trump any such law in the USA.

So, Sony promoting a feature of their system amounts to "mockery"? The only way that Sony's statement could come close to to mockery would be if there was truth to the idea that Microsoft was restricting features that were previously taken for granted. And if it's true, then what's wrong with stating the truth?
Your quoting seems to be in error.
Advertisements cannot directly mention the competition names or claim that their product is better than product X. thats why you no longer see sega can what nintendont advetisement. I know this is the law in Lithuania, i am not certain about USA. however first ammendement would not trumph it as first amendment does not apply to slander, and microsoft could easily argue that in court.
During the election you see a lot of dancing around like this. the candidate cannot legally say that the other candidate "uses prostitutes" instead he hires a journalist to run the story with photoshopped photo and pretend its protected under free speech and journalists ability to expose stories.
Sony promoting a standart feature that everyone already knew how to use as "a big deal" and then making a completely ironic way of presenting it right after their competitors claimed they arent doing this anymore is mockery. And if that was the one isolated event that would be quickly fogotten, but it seems that since E3 all sony did was following this tactic.