Sony Charging Extra for PSP2's 3G Features

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Charging Extra for PSP2's 3G Features

3G will not be a feature in every model of the NGP, and the handheld's 3G services themselves will also come at an additional cost.

The PSP2/NGP's basic statistics have been laid bare [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107321-Sony-Finally-Confirms-New-PSP], but there are still a few big unknowns surrounding the powerful new handheld. One is whether or not Sony will sell separate Wi-Fi and 3G models, and another is if Sony plans to charge for those 3G services. According to SCEE's Andrew House, Sony will do both.

House told Eurogamer: "The first thing to clarify, which I'm not sure the presentation did a perfect job of doing today, is that all of the devices will have Wi-Fi capability; a separate SKU will have 3G. So the user gets a choice. Wi-Fi is available wherever, which clearly is the most important aspect of connectivity and that connected experience; 3G will be a subset of that."

House also confirmed that in addition to what will presumably be a higher cost for the 3G model, the NGP's 3G services themselves will garner an extra charge. Sony is still working with providers and will share more about the 3G "strategy" closer to the NGP launch.

Sony claims [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107334-Sony-Claims-NGP-Will-Be-Affordable] the NGP will be "affordable," but the prices of two different SKUs and its 3G services throw a mystery flag into the air over what it'll end up costing gamers in the end. Once it reveals more about the handheld, we'll be able to get a better idea of how truly affordable the use of all of its features will be. The idea of an always-connected handheld is intriguing, but it's only worth so much.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-sony-outlines-ngp-asynchronous-gaming]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I've got a good wireless setup in my house, and don't plan on taking the PSP or PSP2 out of the house. So, the base model will do it for me.

Things are just damn fragile.

And, for the record, I don't mind my PSP system not being very useful as a PORTABLE system. I can still use it anywhere in the house, at least. Use the DS and PSP at home more, anyway. And it's not safe to drive and game.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Charging for 3g was expected, though curious to how much it'll be. Wonder if they could encourage more game sales by offering 1-2month free 3G for each new game you buy. If not I see around $10-15 a month for it.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
It'll only be worth paying for online if there's enough good multiplayer games on it to play. The catalogue of the original PSP never really motivated me into considering getting one. Hopefully the PSP2 will have a more competitive catalogue.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Honesty, I don't care. It's the wifi and that second analog stick which are posing the 3DS danger for me. Seriously, Nintendo, how hard is it to plop another nub on the 3DS' right side?

Oh, and the inevitable emulators. Save States are the most useful invention for portable gaming I have ever seen. They grant one the ability to stop whenever he or she wants. Be more open source, Nintendo!

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Apparently the 3g will come with service and data restrictions, meaning it may not be fully equipped for online play on the move much like you would have it at home. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I also read somewhere that the 3g service will cost the user each time its used, although this could just be one of the options made available in conjunction with a monthly subscription.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Wait... Am I reading this wrong.. You have to choose between wifi and 3g? You mean if you get the 3g version wifi isnt already included?!? Am I the only one that thinks this might be a massive oversight? If your having to pay extra for 3g there better be a wifi transponder inside of it because a 3g sku costs about as much to produce as a wifi transponder if not less.

Edit: Ehh, why do I care, I wont be buying it anyway cause If I want wifi I can use my Caanoo or Pandora and I really have no use for 3g data. a cheap prepaid phone is sufficent for me for the moments that Im not able to access wifi for VOIP via my handhelds.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
viranimus said:
Wait... Am I reading this wrong.. You have to choose between wifi and 3g? You mean if you get the 3g version wifi isnt already included?!? Am I the only one that thinks this might be a massive oversight? If your having to pay extra for 3g there better be a wifi transponder inside of it because a 3g sku costs about as much to produce as a wifi transponder if not less.

Edit: Ehh, why do I care, I wont be buying it anyway cause If I want wifi I can use my Caanoo or Pandora and I really have no use for 3g data. a cheap prepaid phone is sufficent for me for the moments that Im not able to access wifi for VOIP via my handhelds.
No, Wi-Fi will be in every model.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
viranimus said:

No, Wi-Fi will be in every model.
Ahh.. gotcha. Honestly the quotes from House made it sound otherwise. Got to love misunderstandings from text.

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
Honestly, if anyone dislikes the extra cost for a 3G chip.
Grrr.

I hate idiots.

Good on the people at Sony, a sensible thing to do.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
And I'm going to guess that the 3G version will cost $400. If Apple can get away with it, Sony will attempt it too.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
So the 3G will be used for what, online multiplayer? No spankyou. I'll take the simply Wi-Fi compatible model. I don't need to be called a @^*%-$&#**^% )*@@-#&^% while I'm ignorning customers.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I doubt I'd get the 3G. I never play my handhelds 'on the go'. They're as stationary as my consoles and PC. Hell I love my Consoles and PC more then I move my handhelds.

Wonder if they could make this thing sell for $100... A much lower price then the 3DS could probably give them a lot better edge over the 3DS. Especially if they both come out this year. Christmas could be bitchin' exciting watching PSP2 and 3DSsss trying to out sell each other.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So long as i can stream video straight from the webpage (i.e. flash based players) i'll be happy. If i only have to pay for the Internet access and that its not attached to a phone plan i'll be happy.

I've been waiting on a mobile internet plan for smart phones without the "phone" part for way too long >.< No i don't want to use my laptop or netbook on the go with a wireless 3G/4G modem attached. they are too big and don't have nearly the battery life your typical smart phone does!

Edit: anyone know if there is a pay as go plan (buying your minutes upfront and use for 30 day - 1year) and can be attached to a unlimited internet plan that pays monthly?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I'd probably end up getting the 3G model anyways. It still has WiFi and I can still play online with it, it'll just have more restrictions on where I can play it without 3G enabled. If I ever want to use the 3G options, it's there and ready when I'm willing and I like having the feature there just in case I decide to.

The non-3G model will most definitely cost less I assume, maybe shave a decent amount off the initial price by 50 bucks max. I just hope they got something in place where if you are already paying for 3G with your other devices like your cell phone, this device would be covered under it as well.

That would be great but alas, that is a bit of wishful thinking and have doubts about it.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I already have a phone, so I'm glad they'll give us the option to save some money.

Sep 14, 2009
yup wifi all the way, no offense but in my city wifi is flipping all over the place (at least where i go) so EVEN IF i did want to play online (which i probably wont) then i have that.

god i can't wait to see this baby in my hands..

John O'Toole

Mar 20, 2010
I'll have to wait and see. If there is a good monthly price for 3G, I might get it because there are a lot of places I got that doesn't even have an internet connection. Try not to be shocked its my grandparents house.