Sony Chronicles the Progress of the PlayStation in "Since 1995" Video

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony Chronicles the Progress of the PlayStation in "Since 1995" Video

Sony's For the Players Since 1995 video will hit you right in the nostalgia.

It would probably be more than a little bit cliche for me to ask "where the time goes." That said, seriously, where the heck does it go? It seems like just yesterday that I was a dorky teenager wearing sweatpants to school everyday and pining after a PS2. To think that enough time has gone by for me to graduate college, get married, buy a home, have a kid and now be pining after the PS4, is kind of mildly terrifying.

Tapping into the terror of gamers like myself, Sony has released a video celebrating the progression time and the growth of the PlayStation over the years. Dubbed For the Players Since 1995 by the company, it starts back in the brand's early days and follows it through the years from the perspective of one gamer's bedroom. It ends, of course, in the present day (near future technically) with the modern era and the launch of the PS4.

Apparently inspired by Twitter responses to the #PlayStationMemories hash tag, the video does a great job of capturing the look and feel of the different eras as well the forward momentum of time. You really have to appreciate some of the finer details Sony included, as well. For some reason the gradual improvement of televisions really hit a nostalgia chord me with. You wouldn't think I'd get misty-eyed over the days of tiny tube-TVs and VHS players, but here I am. Give the video a watch and let us know what old memories it drags up for you.

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkMdi3XBhw>YouTube

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
No nostalgia for me. I was one of the few awesome gamers out there that owned a Sega Saturn, then Sega Dreamcast, and then Gamecube.

I owned the Playstation consoles too, but their nostalgia doesn't come close to that I have of the Sega systems, which remain unique to this day.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If I'm honest it didn't drag up many great memories for me at all. It reminded me Crash has been pretty terrible for ages now, I much preferred other fighting games to Tekken, that Resident Evil 4 is best played on a Nintendo console, that Gran Turismo 5 was shit, and that I don't give a flying fuck about Killzone, and that doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon.

So yeah, for me personally, the ad went downhill after the PS1 start up sound was finished.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I had a Playstation 1, that was a fun system and I had much joy from it.

But that's the end of my fun Playstation story.
I had Playstation 2, but that didn't bring me nearly as many good times, it couldn't compare to the joy I had on GameCube.
On similar vein, the PS3 gave me some moments, but that itself couldn't compare to what the 360 did time and time again with showing me a good time.

And the PSP still remains one of the worst purchases I have ever made.

Still the whole London evolving montage was very clever, props to whoever Sony got to make the film.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Most of my nostalgia of the Playstation brand came from my PS2, which I didn't even have the chance to keep for long because it was forcibly given as a gift to one of my other family relatives because I had acquired a Gamecube as well.

This does remind me of something though- is that documentary by Machinma "All Your History Are Belong to Us" still going?

I quite enjoyed looking at the history of many companies we know today.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
That was really cool, although I'm a bit disappointed they didn't use more games.

I was hoping to see them sneak around in Metal Gear Solid or collect a dragon egg in Spyro the Dragon, among other more exclusive titles (Resi 4? Really?).

The startup sequences totally got me though. And I cannot fanboy enough about the way the PS4 apparently starts up.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
To be honest sony do great advertising, the birth death video is the best. Although pretty sure the wheel in london ain't been up as long as they insinuated.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That was really well put together. I know a few tricks that filmmakers can use, but seeing how the people and the room changed so fast (clothes and hair, for example) as well as the games and other little details, I do wonder how they pulled it off without any obvious cuts.

All in all, I enjoyed the ad. I've been playing almost exclusively on Playstation consoles since the PS1, so I guess it was made for me.

Oh, and all that rubbish about how this is how you advertise a console, blah blah blah. We've all heard it before in relation to that OTHER one and their... advertising? Can we call it that? I'm not sure that we can.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Anybody else notice they used Resident Evil 2 zombie noises for Resident Evil 4?

Still a nice little add though.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
That was basically my childhood playing (from 9-today). I remember wanting the Sega Saturn but parents said no to wait for the new Playstation that was coming out, so I did and got a massive suprise recieving it, Abes Odysee and V-Rally for Christmas, I still have every game on all those systems with the consoles themselves and boot them up from time to time :) PS4 is already got a spot ready for it's arrival in a months time :)

EDIT: After checking the release date of the PS1 just realised the PS4 is releasing exactly 18years (to the day) after PS1 released in AU. 15th November 1995.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
LordMonty said:
To be honest sony do great advertising, the birth death video is the best. Although pretty sure the wheel in london ain't been up as long as they insinuated.
Birth Death ad was an xbox ad that got banned. Unless you talking about some other ad. Either way

Yeh its all about the PS1 sound, i loved how even the pizza boxes changed over time. But i was one of the ppl who was introduced to a pc with a 33.6k modem and ONLINE GAMEPLAY. So soon after the ps1 i jumped over to pc. Clever video, bring some abit of feels.

But what happend to Demo 1 that came with the PS1 ^.^ Loaded was an awsome game, Whipeout.....

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Huge amounts of nostalgia from the PS1 part.
PS2 part had some good bits.
PS3 isn't old enough to get that nostalgic feeling out of me yet.
Looking forward to the PS4 even though I'm more of a PC player these days.

Hopefully I can look back on the PS3 and PS4 as fondly as the PS1 nearly 20 years from now.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Yeah that starting noise. I almost forgot that sound when the PS1 booted up. PS2 had it's sound too. Kinda like the starting gun before the games began. Yes some nostalgia for me. I got a PS1 before summer camp. Didn't get to play it until I returned home. PS2 I bought myself (I had a job) and finally onward to PS3 (MSG4 edition before they stopped making them) Nice vid, but I don't recall having any of those hair styles or things in my room.