Sony claims PS3 was made deliberately difficult to program for.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Kaz Hirai, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, defended the difficulty of programming for the Playstation 3 console.

According to Mr. Hirai, Sony chose not to "provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?".

"So it's a kind of--I wouldn't say a double-edged sword--but it's hard to program for," Hirai continued, "and a lot of people see the negatives of it, but if you flip that around, it means the hardware has a lot more to offer."
What? It's not April 1st yet. Is Sony seriously saying this??? How does being hard to program for mean the hardware has more to offer? Sony took a dump on the development community with the PS3 and now they take an X-Lax fueled dump with this ridiculous statement.

You can read the full article here [http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10173656-17.htm]

Personally I'm actually disgusted at this. This is why I generally don't support Sony at all anymore. I just don't know what else to say about this, I mean holy crap.

Mr.Switchblade

Dec 1, 2008
Impressive, once again the Japanese continue to prove that they just don't get the rest of the world

phar

Jan 29, 2009
Yeah theres mixed opinion on development on the PS3. Alot of developers hate it and some say its actually quite good. I guess its a factor of how much Sony is paying them for the port.

Xbox's similarity to PC will always be a winner for the western games.

cherimoya

Mar 2, 2009
that's an utterly bizarre read.

(great find, btw)

i'm often baffled by sony's logic, tho. so i guess i'm not surprised. but still.

Jul 9, 2008
So...let me see if I follow the logic. So, if the PS3 is harder to program for, there will be less games made exclusively for it. Which means less money for Sony. Which means...what, they can justify charging that much for the PS3? Seriously, I'm drawing a blank here.

Pain_Inflictor

Feb 6, 2009
Mr.Switchblade said:
Impressive, once again the Japanese continue to prove that they just don't get the rest of the world

Did you forget about Nintendo's (Japaneese) wii?

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
I honestly do not understand Sony... I try and i try... But its almost like they WANT to fail. In fact the only thing they have in their favour are Sony fanboys who would buy a turnd if it had a Sony label.

Jul 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
You're once again missing the context. The difference is between making something thats easy to develop for, is already known inside and out, and hits a low brick wall within 3 years, or having something that can be pushed to actually exceed the boundaries and make continual addvancements.
Ah, I was wondering when you would show up to inevitably defend Sony. Alright, I can sort of see where you're coming from. But you can see why many developers would turn away from the console that is being made deliberately difficult to make games for.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Credit where credit is due, he has a point. If you make things difficult to program for your options get larger and more varied, whereas simple programming = simple options. That said I think Sony tends toward the extreme instead of going for the middle ground. But hey, they wanted to build a big powerful behemoth and thats what they are built.

Pretty much sums it up.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
You're once again missing the context. The difference is between making something thats easy to develop for, is already known inside and out, and hits a low brick wall within 3 years, or having something that can be pushed to actually exceed the boundaries and make continual advancements.
Off topic, damn your close to ten thousand posts.

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
You're once again missing the context. The difference is between making something thats easy to develop for, is already known inside and out, and hits a low brick wall within 3 years, or having something that can be pushed to actually exceed the boundaries and make continual advancements.
Why do you keep saying that? That's not true in the slightest.

I work in this industry. Sure, it's great when your piece of hardware has a lot of potential and power. But the ease of use trumps every single time. Our competitors learned this two years ago when one of them went bankrupt for having a complicated, extremely difficult to use architecture. They said the same thing that Sony did. Now the old Chase Card Services group that wasn't merged with JP Morgan went the way of the dodo when the rest of the world told them to either make it easier to program for or to fuck off.

In this case, having worked on the PSN charge system for the PS3, this architecture could be just as simple and still produce the amazing results and a myrad of functionality. What I'm seeing is that Sony was actually LAZY and did not design it efficiently. "Difficult" actually translates into "non-efficient" here. But Sony won't admit to that (their rep hates me, btw).

You're just making excuses for Sony. Don't do that - Sony needs to pull their heads out of the sand. Again, I'm not blaming the product, I'm blaming the idiotic vendor. It's the only way they'll figure out WTF they are doing wrong.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
orannis62 said:
So...let me see if I follow the logic.
There is no logic, just a hopeless effort to put a positive spin on an obvious flaw.

It just means that developers will be less likely to make (exclusive) games for that console because they will take longer and cost more to make.

Jul 9, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
orannis62 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
You're once again missing the context. The difference is between making something thats easy to develop for, is already known inside and out, and hits a low brick wall within 3 years, or having something that can be pushed to actually exceed the boundaries and make continual addvancements.
Ah, I was wondering when you would show up to inevitably defend Sony. Alright, I can sort of see where you're coming from. But you can see why many developers would turn away from the console that is being made deliberately difficult to make games for.
I won't deny that. However, lets look at this from a third perspective - we've just seen the latest in those holy-shit-the-ps3s-power-is-off-the-charts games with Killzone 2. Developers feel that just because something is different means its not a valid ideal, but then this game proves that the application of effort does yield incredible results.
Point taken. I admit, I don't know much about the PS3 or its exclusives, so I think I'm just going to back quietly out of this thread.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
According to Mr. Hirai, Sony chose not to "provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?".
Gee, I wonder what a game company, in the business of making games, could do with their time if they don't need to waste nine-and-a-half years learning to use the new hardware to its full potential?

I know! They could use their time to learn to make better games!

cherimoya

Mar 2, 2009
the idea that a more difficult programming process could somehow magically create "better" games doesn't make any sense to me.

so if you had a car with three steering wheels, an insane amount of gauges, knobs, displays and readouts on the dash and no seats, it would somehow produce "better" drivers who push the limits of the road?

i just dont buy it.

Grumman said:
Gee, I wonder what a game company, in the business of making games, could do with their time if they don't need to waste nine-and-a-half years learning to use the new hardware to its full potential?

I know! They could use their time to learn to make better games!
HAHA. exactly!