Sony Confirms 250 GB PS3 for North America

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Confirms 250 GB PS3 for North America

Is the just-announced 250 GB PS3 slim a slap in the face for early adopters of the 120 GB version?

A scant two months after the North American release of the PS3 slim, Sony is releasing a new model with twice the hard drive space. The 250 GB PS3 slim will launch in North America on November 3, as of yet will feature no pack-ins or improvements over the 120 GB model other than hard drive size, and will be priced at $349. That's twice the size for one-and-a-sixth times the price, and is obviously the better value for the average person that doesn't know how to swap out a hard drive.

I can't help but feel like all of these SKUs, bundles, and hard drive size changes are really affecting the average consumer's view of purchasing a videogame system. Why buy a console on day one when something better will pop up in a couple months, as it constantly has been for the past few years? In that way, consoles are almost becoming like computers, where way better components are always a hair's breadth away no matter when you buy (it used to be like that anyway).

The PlayStation 3 is predicted to hit the top of the NPD charts when they are released within the week, and rightfully so with the system's recent $299 price drop combined with the release of the slim model. Is this really the proper way to reward consumers that have propelled the PS3 to such great heights over the past month? To basically say: "Hey, here's a much better model that you probably would have wanted just two months later!" Why wait such a short amount of time to release the 250 GB model, rather than releasing it on September 1 with the 120 GB model so consumers could have had a choice?

The 250 GB PS3 is no doubt partially a response to the Xbox 360 Modern Warfare 2 250 GB uber bundle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94749-Modern-Warfare-2s-Limited-Edition-360-Bundle-Does-It-Big], but it pales in comparison to that without a pack-in of any kind. I sincerely hope that the next generation of consoles, when they eventually get here, will not come with the constant flow of SKUs that this generation has. In a way, they are disrespectful to the most loyal of customers.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/new-250gb-playstation-3-system-available-november-3/]

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Sorry if this is really ignorant, but is the extra 130GB worth it?

Still, I agree with you Tom, it is a slap in the face to those who may have just bought the current slim.

InventiveHero

Oct 2, 2008
Yeah, this is just plain terrible - but with how buggy first run hardware is, I've learned to wait 6 or so months after a release to take on a new system.

Me? Right now I'm waiting on the DSiSP that will have an 8 Megapixel camera, two SD slots, three screens, integrated phone, and play gamecube disks and N64 carts.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Terramax said:
Sorry if this is really ignorant, but is the extra 130GB worth it?
Also curious as to this. I've yet to buy a PS3 of any variety - or even play one for that matter, so tell me loyal Escapists: Would the extra 130 gigs be worth shelling out a bit of extra cash for, or should I settle for the slightly humbler 120GB variety?

Terramax said:
Still, I agree with you Tom, it is a slap in the face to those who may have just bought the current slim.
It might be my residual memories from my time on the official WoW forums (Don't go there. Just...don't.) but I can't take anyone who uses "slap in the face" in a non-facetious way seriously. I just can't.

InventiveHero said:
Me? Right now I'm waiting on the DSiSP that will have an 8 Megapixel camera, two SD slots, three screens, integrated phone, and play gamecube disks and N64 carts.
What, no Sega-Nintendo merger support for Genesis games? Fuck that I'll wait for the next version!

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Why does this gen feel like they need to have 8 versions of their consoles coming out at different times at radically different price to value ratios. All it does is show the consumer that the pricing is somewhat arbitrary and based on capricious mark-ups thereby devaluing what we as gamers spend hard earned money on. I had waited five months for the slim to come out and just bought it. Now this. Sony, you guys are assholes.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
KarmicToast said:
Why does this gen feel like they need to have 8 versions of their consoles coming out at different times at radically different price to value ratios.
Simply put? To continue to drum up sales. I don't think any of the three console developers are really ready to release the PS4, Pewp or the Xbox 9000. Creating new consoles with slightly better hardware/larger hard drives/a new colour system is a way to increase sales (if only temporarily) and get a bit more income. Just look at what the PS3 Slim did for sales in the first week of release.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
For the extra cost thats a scam. Can get a 320GB drive (7200rpm) or 500GB (5000rpm) for less than the price increase.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Well considering the hard drive is not the limiting factor on the price, your estimate of "twice the size for 1/6 the price" is a little off. Honestly there's really no reason I can think of to buy a PS3 with a hard drive this size unless you were planning on buying the entire PSN back catalog... and wanting to still have space for all the movies, music, etc. on your current pc as well. Even then you'd probably still have space left over.

If I had just purchased the 120 and saw this I'm pretty sure my exact thoughts would be "psh... I wouldn't have bought that anyway." If I was someone who would even consider thinking I would need that much hard drive space, which... once again why would I, I'd probably be savvy enough to know that 120 gigs is not worth another 50$ by today's hard drive prices. Also, if I had 250 gigs worth of media I did want to transfer from my computer, I'd probably also be savvy enough to know that I can just use my PC as a media server and transferring over my media would be pointless, because lets face it, if you have 250gigs of movies and music on your pc, you didn't obtain it legally, you probably have at least some computer sense.

Also, microsoft has put multiple versions of the xbox out with different sized hard drives, for 50$-100$ price differences. 360 elite? What's with this silly attempted pot shot at sony for doing the same thing? Gyaarrr!!! Sony is EVIL for wanting to make money!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Crash486 said:
Also, microsoft has put multiple versions of the xbox out with different sized hard drives, for 50$ price differences. 360 elite? What's with this silly attempted pot shot at sony for doing the same thing?
Oh god, not the "ESCAPIST HATES SONY" rhetoric again. Yawn.

They're probably publishing this story 'against' Sony because the Elite is years old and the 250gig slim is...not? In fact it's new.

And don't forget that the Elite also came with the coolest colours. Premium? Man, fuck premium. It's all white and not-matching-my-computer-tower. Elite is where it's at for colour coordinating your technology. Black plasma TV, black monitor, black tower, black keyboard, black Xbox and (soon enough) black PS3.

Dusting them off can be a real arse though :p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Crash486 said:
Also, microsoft has put multiple versions of the xbox out with different sized hard drives, for 50$-100$ price differences. 360 elite? What's with this silly attempted pot shot at sony for doing the same thing? Gyaarrr!!! Sony is EVIL for wanting to make money!
The point isn't that Sony introduced a bigger, slightly more expensive PS3. In fact, as Tom points out, if they had launched two variants of the Slim simultaneously, one 120 and one 250, that would have been fine. With this, it feels kind of insulting to early adopters of the Slim. "Hey, if you'd waited two months you'd have gotten a BETTER model!"

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Amnestic said:
Crash486 said:
Also, microsoft has put multiple versions of the xbox out with different sized hard drives, for 50$ price differences. 360 elite? What's with this silly attempted pot shot at sony for doing the same thing?
Oh god, not the "ESCAPIST HATES SONY" rhetoric again. Yawn.

They're probably publishing this story 'against' Sony because the Elite is years old and the 250gig slim is...not? In fact it's new.

And don't forget that the Elite also came with the coolest colours. Premium? Man, fuck premium. It's all white and not-matching-my-computer-tower. Elite is where it's at for colour coordinating your technology. Black plasma TV, black monitor, black tower, black keyboard, black Xbox and (soon enough) black PS3.

Dusting them off can be a real arse though :p
lol, I'm not saying the escapist hates sony, but I have seen more than one article of "biased journalism" coming from their contributors. It's not news that the majority of the internet hates sony.

I mean... seriously a slap in the face to people who had bought the obviously far inferior 120gb model no more than 2 months ago? Give me a break, what's with the entitlement? If anything is a slap in the face, its the fact that they cancelled their plan to for UMD for digital download trade-ins with the PSP go. Not that anyone's going to buy the go... especially if they have a 1000-3000. But seriously, they'd make them rebuy a game (which they most likely wouldn't) rather than let you transfer media you already own onto your account? What is this, 1998?

CantFaketheFunk said:
Crash486 said:
The point isn't that Sony introduced a bigger, slightly more expensive PS3. In fact, as Tom points out, if they had launched two variants of the Slim simultaneously, one 120 and one 250, that would have been fine. With this, it feels kind of insulting to early adopters of the Slim. "Hey, if you'd waited two months you'd have gotten a BETTER model!"
Well once again, I guess it's a matter of your definition of "better." In my personal opinion, getting ripped off (by paying more for less gain) is more of a tragedy than finding out if i had waited 2 more months I could have opted to get ripped off.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Amnestic said:
KarmicToast said:
Why does this gen feel like they need to have 8 versions of their consoles coming out at different times at radically different price to value ratios.
Simply put? To continue to drum up sales. I don't think any of the three console developers are really ready to release the PS4, Pewp or the Xbox 9000. Creating new consoles with slightly better hardware/larger hard drives/a new colour system is a way to increase sales (if only temporarily) and get a bit more income. Just look at what the PS3 Slim did for sales in the first week of release.
Oh I understand why you would do it from a short term business perspective, but I feel like in the long term, actions like these only hurt the gamers and by extension the companies that produce them. Most things they do now make people feel ripped off...Awkward price cuts/hard drive increases/bundles which make some people feel ripped off for just paying more for the same product a week ago. Things like Day 1 DLC, or even month 1 for that matter, which feels like they are just justifying charging you more for the game. Things like CoD MW 2 coming out for $90 in the UK, while only $60 here. Talk of monthly fees for multiplayer FPS games on consoles when we already have to pay the live membership fees. All of this hurts the player. The companies may have our current generation hooked, but in 15 years when consoles are $800 bucks, with $100 games (if not more if they are already hitting $90 now) are parent really going to buy this stuff for their kids? And if not, the industry will tank. Companies need to stop making the gamers feel tethered to whatever they deem as appropriate pricing schemes and start making us feel like we are getting a good deal every once in awhile.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I think this really is Sony trying to stay on par with Microsoft's offering of a 250GB system. It just seems like each company is trying to 1up the other with price cuts and added minor features. Knowing how much Hard Drive's cost, I think if Sony had included a 2nd controller or a game it would be a much better value.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Crash486 said:
If anything is a slap in the face, its the fact that they cancelled their plan to for UMD for digital download trade-ins with the PSP go. Not that anyone's going to buy the go... especially if they have a 1000-3000. But seriously, they'd make them rebuy a game (which they most likely wouldn't) rather than let you transfer media you already own onto your account? What is this, 1998?
I think we're looking at a completely different issue here. First of all before I say anything: I don't like the idea of the Go, mostly because having a hard, physical copy is something I enjoy. That "New Manual" smell is lurvely. Plus the nice metal boxes for collectors editions.

That said, the Go is (apparently) not intended for older PSP users who own a 1000-3000, but rather for those who haven't purchased a PSP model before and were thinking about doing so. The way I see it, Sony isn't trying to appeal to older PSP users and that's why they didn't bother with the UMD/Digital Download conversion.

I don't agree with them personally, but that's their standpoint as I understand it.

As for the PS3 120/250- it's a sense of entitlement which is born from a trust between consumer and seller that they're not going to release a slightly better product with a larger price tag merely two months down the line with little-to-no indication of it. If they'd announced a 250gig version when the 120 hit the shelves, I doubt anyone would care. People could make an informed decision on which they preferred; either the 120GB version now or wait 2 months for the 250GB version to hit the shelves. It's the duplicity in only announcing it weeks after the release of the 120gig version which has people riled up.

Me? If what I've read is true, I'll never need those extra 130 anyway so I'll go out and pick up a slightly cheaper 120.

On a final, more personal sidenote: I got to use the word 'duplicity'. The English scholar in me is giddy with glee.

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
InventiveHero said:
Yeah, this is just plain terrible - but with how buggy first run hardware is, I've learned to wait 6 or so months after a release to take on a new system.

That sounds amazing!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
eh, I got a 120 GB Slim but I'm not too unhappy. I thnk 120gb is more than enough for me, so its all good.

Also, I've been seeing this version in stores in England for weeks now (for £280)... why is everyone raving about it now?

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Amnestic said:
Crash486 said:
If anything is a slap in the face, its the fact that they cancelled their plan to for UMD for digital download trade-ins with the PSP go. Not that anyone's going to buy the go... especially if they have a 1000-3000. But seriously, they'd make them rebuy a game (which they most likely wouldn't) rather than let you transfer media you already own onto your account? What is this, 1998?
I think we're looking at a completely different issue here. First of all before I say anything: I don't like the idea of the Go, mostly because having a hard, physical copy is something I enjoy. That "New Manual" smell is lurvely. Plus the nice metal boxes for collectors editions.

That said, the Go is (apparently) not intended for older PSP users who own a 1000-3000, but rather for those who haven't purchased a PSP model before and were thinking about doing so. The way I see it, Sony isn't trying to appeal to older PSP users and that's why they didn't bother with the UMD/Digital Download conversion.

I don't agree with them personally, but that's their standpoint as I understand it.

As for the PS3 120/250- it's a sense of entitlement which is born from a trust between consumer and seller that they're not going to release a slightly better product with a larger price tag merely two months down the line with little-to-no indication of it. If they'd announced a 250gig version when the 120 hit the shelves, I doubt anyone would care. People could make an informed decision on which they preferred; either the 120GB version now or wait 2 months for the 250GB version to hit the shelves. It's the duplicity in only announcing it weeks after the release of the 120gig version which has people riled up.

Me? If what I've read is true, I'll never need those extra 130 anyway so I'll go out and pick up a slightly cheaper 120.

On a final, more personal sidenote: I got to use the word 'duplicity'. The English scholar in me is giddy with glee.
Perhaps this I can agree with, though I'm beginning to wonder if the execs at sony even planned 2 months into the future to know at the time of the slim's release they'd be releasing a 250g model. Based on their prior business decisions involving the ps3 my gut instinct is to say, no they probably didn't.

While it is fun to think of a group of Sony Execs sitting around a large square table in their thrones made of solid gold, petting their white cats while pondering about how next they will screw over their user base in a devious attempt to steal their hard earned money; I think this one can just be written off as an attempt to compete with microsoft's new 250gb version they just pulled out (which by the way wasn't announced at the time of release of their 120gb verison).