Sony Confirms Japanese God of War Trilogy, Colossus Re-release

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Guess what? The Gran Turismo 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Colossus-Playstation-2/dp/B0009I6S0O/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280954735&sr=1-1].

Somebody at Sony Japan has been busy today. The software giant went on the warpath - possibly to take some of the wind out of Microsoft's CES announcements - confirming several rumors: First, the rumored Shadow of the Colossus re-release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96866-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-to-be-Re-Released] is real, though it will still only be on the PS2 (and backwards-compatible PS3s) instead of being upscaled to full glorious HD like the God of War Collection. On the bright side, it'll only be 1,800 ($20) when it comes out on February 4th - and if it's coming out in Japan, odds are it might be coming out again here, too.

Speaking of God of War, Sony also narrowed down God of War III's release window from just "March." While there was no announcement made about the Western release, GoW3 now has a Japanese release date of March 25th, and you bet that means it'll be coming out sooner than that in the States and Europe. Or at the very least, it won't be coming out later. This seems interesting, though, given that if GoW3 comes out too early in March, it runs right up against another PS3 system-seller, Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1]. Then again, the two titles may well have completely different target audiences, so perhaps it's not as much as a problem as it would seem at first glance.

Sony further confirmed a Japanese release of the special edition of GoW3, God of War Trilogy - which, as the title suggests, will include last year's God of War Collection alongside the brand new game. Interestingly enough, Capcom will be handling the publishing in Japan, not Sony. Your guess is as good as mine there.

And finally, an online Japanese retailer called Geostore briefly listed Gran Turismo 5 as coming out on the same day as God of War: That is to say, March 25th. While the listing was hastily pulled down and there's no official Sony word (unlike the rest of these), the same site had also leaked information about the SotC re-release and the Japanese God of War releases - the same information that was confirmed true today. So, our Japanese readers can start looking for the hotly-anticipated racing game to hit shelves on March 25th, while the rest of you in the West need to wait a bit longer.

Phew. Lots of cool info there. Enough to beat what's coming out of CES? Your call on that.

(Via Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/07/sony-japan-confirms-retail-leaks/])

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS!

/Fanboygasm

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
I had to close my jaw when I saw this in the latest news column.

Sadly my jaw would have closed itself at the sight of 'PS2'. I want HD SotC damnit!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Damn! Thats a lot of great games coming out for PS2/PS3.

Damn now I'm jealous that I don't own either consoles.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm a little lost here. Are they just rebundling and relaunching SotC, or did the original only made limited copies? I just find it strange that there's a big deal about a game you can still get on retail/internet for $20, especially considering that it's not a remake.

Then again, I have never played Shadow of the Colossus, so that's probably part of my confusion.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:

Somebody at Sony Japan has been busy today. The software giant went on the warpath - possibly to take some of the wind out of Microsoft's CES announcements - confirming several rumors: First, the rumored Shadow of the Colossus re-release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96866-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-to-be-Re-Released] is real, though it will still only be on the PS2 (and backwards-compatible PS3s) instead of being upscaled to full glorious HD like the God of War Collection.
LAME.

SotC re-release for PS2 only and Backwards-compatible PS3? Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the re-release.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
I think SotC is the only game which really make me want a Playstation. Like... really really want that game! Wish it came out for 360 or Wii. Like Okami. I don't want motion sensing controls, I just want the game on a console I own :p

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
tmujir955 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Somebody at Sony Japan has been busy today. The software giant went on the warpath - possibly to take some of the wind out of Microsoft's CES announcements - confirming several rumors: First, the rumored Shadow of the Colossus re-release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96866-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-to-be-Re-Released] is real, though it will still only be on the PS2 (and backwards-compatible PS3s) instead of being upscaled to full glorious HD like the God of War Collection.
LAME.

SotC re-release for PS2 only and Backwards-compatible PS3? Kinda defeats the whole purpose of the re-release.
It does not.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Ya know, with so many copies of SotC still floating around, I am not sure why the re-release on the damn PS2? While I was not a huge fan of the game, I get what other people liked about it and think it should have gotten a HD makeover. Fighting those things in 1080p would just be awesome!

God of War 3 will be the reason I buy a PS3 finally. Hopefully by then some of the other titles I want will drop a bit in price too, although I doubt it..

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What's the point of the SotC rerelease? I got a copy last week for 15 USD.

And it was AWESOME. Now, I'm playing Beyond Good & Evil.

PS2 Bargain Bin deals! Woooooooooo!

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
HUBILUB said:
tmujir955 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

LAME.

It does not.
How so? I already have SotC for PS2, but my PS3 isn't backwards compatible. What's the point of re-releasing it again if it can't be played on the PS3, the console that Sony is supporting the most at the moment?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
HUBILUB said:
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS!

/Fanboygasm
I am so happy! I loved the game so much so...read above statement!

Shame its not been released into HD though... ;_;

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
HUBILUB said:
tmujir955 said:
LAME.

It does not.
In some respects it does since it's pretty easy to pick up a used copy of SotC, especially since it achieved Greatest Hits status.

Now, if this were ICO we were talking about then that would be a completely different bag of tricks.

tmujir955 said:
How so? I already have SotC for PS2, but my PS3 isn't backwards compatible. What's the point of re-releasing it again if it can't be played on the PS3, the console that Sony is supporting the most at the moment?
It's not for people who own it already.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Hell Yes! Gran Turismo, Shadow of the Colussus and GoW Trilogy, oh please god let them please come to the US soon!

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
tmujir955 said:
HUBILUB said:
tmujir955 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

LAME.

It does not.
But I don't have it, and now I'll have the chance to have my own copy!

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

And finally, an online Japanese retailer called Geostore briefly listed Gran Turismo 5 as coming out on the same day as God of War: That is to say, March 25th.

Gran Turismo 5 is becoming the Duke Nukem Forever of racing sims. I'll be surprised if it actually makes that date & has all the features advertised. They've had $60 million for their budget and years to catch up to Forza Motorsport and still haven't managed to accomplish that... I guess we'll all just have to wait and see...

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
HUBILUB said:
tmujir955 said:
HUBILUB said:
tmujir955 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

LAME.

It does not.
Well why didn't you say so? I picked up a brand new copy here:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Shadow-of-the-Colossus-PlayStation-2-2005_W0QQprZ47656936QQtgZinfo

EDIT: I'm not trying to advertise, I just wanted to show you a site that sells game really cheap.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
tmujir955 said:
HUBILUB said:
tmujir955 said:
HUBILUB said:
tmujir955 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

LAME.

It does not.
Well why didn't you say so? I picked up a brand new copy here:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Shadow-of-the-Colossus-PlayStation-2-2005_W0QQprZ47656936QQtgZinfo

EDIT: I'm not trying to advertise, I just wanted to show you a site that sells game really cheap.
I don't like ordering stuff over the internet, I like the feeling of purchasing it at a store.

Yes, I have crazy quirks, but by god I shall satisfy them!