Sony Debunks Rumors of Today's PSN Store Relaunch

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Debunks Rumors of Today's PSN Store Relaunch

If you want to buy things from Sony, you're going to have to be patient for a little while longer.

Sony says that despite any rumors you have might heard to the contrary, the PSN store will not be coming back online today or tomorrow. Sony debunked the rumors on a post on the PlayStation blog, where it announced eight hours of "routine maintenance" at the same time.

The source of the rumors was a memo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110212-Sony-Memo-Reveals-Schedule-for-PlayStation-Store-Revival] supposedly sent to Sony's development partners. The memo said that Sony planned to restore the store today, and then push updates twice a week for the next two weeks in order to catch up on the missed content. The memo said that if developers had concerns about timing, then Sony was willing to be flexible with what came out when.

Some developers have voiced concerns [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110247-Developers-Are-Unhappy-with-PSNs-Return] about the restoration of the PSN store, although the complaints have been more about games being lost in the deluge of content, or overlooked in favor of the free games that Sony is offering as an apology for the problems with PSN.

Sony has not announced a firm timetable for the restoration of the PSN store, only saying that it was aiming to have the store back in action by the end of the month. That could mean anytime between now and May 31, presuming that Sony is able to get things working by then.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/24/playstation-network-scheduled-maintenance-today/]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Buy things? Hell, I just want to claim my free games! I've got my first week off in ages, and the only week off in quite some time, so I couldn't wait to get InFamous. It'll have to wait now I guess.

Ah well, in the end, I'd rather have it released a bit later with more polish and some extra security measures or something. Same counts for games.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Called it. Internal memo is not official confirmation.

Cowabungaa said:
Buy things? Hell, I just want to claim my free games! I've got my first week off in ages, and the only week off in quite some time, so I couldn't wait to get InFamous. It'll have to wait now I guess.
If it makes you feel any better, once you finally get to play it, you'll realize you weren't missing anything.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I have never overlooked newer games because I was "too preoccupied", especially not with free titles. In the case of all the titles on offer here, they're pretty good, and I'm sure I'll play them, but because I'll OWN them, I'm not going to be in any enormous hurry to start playing them. Much less play them so hard I become blind and deaf to any outside stimuli and neglect to notice a game I was interested in was releasing.

Sounds like developer butthurt to me.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
Thanks alot hackers. You sure are fighting for our freedom.

Jackasses.
And they were so sure Sony had those WMDs!

But yeah, those pasty bastards need to get girlfriends or something so they can see that there are better things in life than fucking with people

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
have[/b] voiced concerns [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110247-Developers-Are-Unhappy-with-PSNs-Return] about the restoration of the PSN store, although the complaints have been more about games being lost in the deluge of content, or overlooked in favor of the free games that Sony is offering as an apology for the problems with PSN.
How dare the public be more interested in free games than worshiping ecommerce.

Honestly, I think it pretty much goes without saying thats where peoples focus is going to be. These "Concerned" publishers need to look at this debacle and learn from it. Whining on how things are unfair is not going to generate sympathy and is more likely to generate ambivalence or hate. Being one of the "Concerned" publishers is not going to make people jump up and want to buy your stuff any quicker, so would it not have been better to keep that thought to yourself instead of making your company look like a box of douchenozzles?

Why is it the simplest concepts are the hardest to understand for some people?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
viranimus said:
Logan Westbrook said:
have[/b] voiced concerns [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110247-Developers-Are-Unhappy-with-PSNs-Return] about the restoration of the PSN store, although the complaints have been more about games being lost in the deluge of content, or overlooked in favor of the free games that Sony is offering as an apology for the problems with PSN.
How dare the public be more interested in free games than worshiping ecommerce.

Honestly, I think it pretty much goes without saying thats where peoples focus is going to be. These "Concerned" publishers need to look at this debacle and learn from it. Whining on how things are unfair is not going to generate sympathy and is more likely to generate ambivalence or hate. Being one of the "Concerned" publishers is not going to make people jump up and want to buy your stuff any quicker, so would it not have been better to keep that thought to yourself instead of making your company look like a box of douchenozzles?

Why is it the simplest concepts are the hardest to understand for some people?
They'd be doing more than "whining" if Sony hadn't been smart enough to include a "no lawsuits for damages resulting from network downtime" clause into the contracts with them. They be suing Sony for all kindsa damages -- even the ones who weren't gonna sell shit had the shop been open.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Going to have to download Honest Hearts and Old World Blues in the same time frame