Sony Defends "Welcome Back" Reward Choices

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Sony Defends "Welcome Back" Reward Choices

If you're not happy with the content Sony's offering as an apology over that PSN security breach, too bad. Sony's not gonna do anything else.

Sony's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110095-Sonys-PSN-Apology-Includes-Free-Games>"Welcome Back appreciation program" for PSN users who are returning to the service has met with mixed reactions from the public. For some gamers, the free content is great; for others, the offer is less-than-satisfactory. Bad news for the latter group of people: Sony isn't going to offer anything else.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Nick Caplin (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's Head of Communications), explained why Sony's offering the games it's offering:

"We've tried really hard to put together a list of high quality BD games, rather than simply offering cheaper PSN titles. The average metacritic rating for these games is over 84 per cent, so these are high quality games.

"Unfortunately with a user base of 77m people, it is really hard to offer something for everyone."

Something that's also garnered a mixed reaction has been the free 30 days of PlayStation Plus that's being promised to gamers. As some people have pointed out, any Plus content that's downloaded will be lost at the end of the free subscription. Caplin also defended this: "Unfortunately that is the way PS Plus works. But if you look at as access to a lot of free content for a month, you should have a busy month of gaming."

Personally, I'm indifferent about the Plus subscription, though I wish a few other games (ones I hadn't already played through) had been offered (though the ones that are offered are certainly excellent). I definitely would've been far less grumpy about having to cancel my credit cards if I'd gotten a free copy of something like <a href=http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305682863&sr=8-1>God of War III.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-17-sony-defends-free-psn-games-offer>Eurogamer via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/05/17/sony-defends-welcome-back-appreciation-program-offerings>GamePolitics

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I didn't mind the list at all. Although I already own Infamous and LBP, those two are still fantastic games and an excellent choice for the list. The rest of the list is decent, but satisfying.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
People are HONESTLY complaining about receiving FREE games?

Maybe they should learn: don't look at gift horse in the mouth.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Chibz said:

I can see how some could have a problem with the deal.

The whole point of the deal is to reward the core fanbase for staying loyal. The only problem is, the core fanbase are exactly the sort of people who probably already own the games that are being offered. I wouldn't even consider myself a particularly rabid Sony fan, and I already own 3 out of the 5 games offered on the European store.

It's kinda pointless to look a gift horse in the mouth if it's the exact same horse you paid money for to own 3 years ago.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
People will complain about ANYTHING. It is the way of things.

I personally think the list of games and extras that Sony is offering is fantastic, but then again, I don't complain when people give me free things.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
I'm a little disappointed that what they offer - that I would want - is something I already have.

But hey, free is free.

Chibz said:
Maybe they should learn: don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Then where am I supposed to look at it?!

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Chibz said:
Absolutely.
I don't own a PS3, but I certainly would jump at the opportunity for free games.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
People: Cannot be pleased.

One of these days, some company should just say "Our reward program has received many complaints, and thus we are forced to shut it down to keep our fanbase happy." And then do nothing else.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
People will ***** about anything.
I think Sony did a decent job with this I'm planing on getting inFamous and LBP and trading in my discs.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
I'm kind of satisfied with the reward program since I'll be getting two games I've had an eye on for a while, but never was interested enough to actually give money for them.

Although in my opinion the best approach would have been to simply award everyone some playstation store credit, that WOULD make everyone happy.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
This reminds of when Riot handed out 350 RP (the currency you have to buy with real world money) in League of Legends after some server instability and people complained. They complained about being handed money.

So many gamers are so damn entitled it's sick.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I didn't complain, because I like what the offered. I am saddened to see that people are taking these literal gifts for granted.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
This reminds of when Riot handed out 350 RP (the currency you have to buy with real world money) in League of Legends after some server instability and people complained. They complained about being handed money.

So many gamers are so damn entitled it's sick.
I thought that was so nice of them. I was all ready to buy something with my extra points..... and I never got them! But I actually wasn't mad; I was just glad they made the gesture.

It's silly to complain about getting free things, especially when you're not expecting them.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The internet is filled with self entitled babies. This free stuff isn't good enough boo hoo. What does it take to make people happy?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
...Did he just say inFamous is a high quality game?!

Last time I checked, high quality games don't have mediocre, dreadfully bland third person shooter gameplay, terrible characters, an even more terrible plot, and some of the worst "choices" ever offered inside a game.

But anyway, as I just got done saying in another thread, I don't care about the list of free games being mostly old stuff that all the loyal fans likely already have and is partially designed to get people to spend more money. I never wanted free games from them anyway and am happy to not download any of them or use any of the PS+ subscription.