Sony Delays Ps5 reveal

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
In light of current events, Sony has decided to delay the reveal of the Playstation 5. No new date has been announced, but with the way 2020 is going I am losing hope normalcy returns anytime soon.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
At this point I don't know whether I'm mad at the world or mad at Sony for being so dang wishy-washy about its dates. I mean, this PS5 reveal was slated only a few days ago, what happend in that short time frame to suddenly cause a delay?

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
At this point I don't know whether I'm mad at the world or mad at Sony for being so dang wishy-washy about its dates. I mean, this PS5 reveal was slated only a few days ago, what happend in that short time frame to suddenly cause a delay?
Riots mostly.

This is likely a response to the protests and such going on around the world and they don't want to hold a video game presser when the world is burning.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Riots mostly.

This is likely a response to the protests and such going on around the world and they don't want to hold a video game presser when the world is burning.
Oh yeah shit, I forgot about America suffering substantially worse under COVID, and that there's currently some major riots going on as well.

Actually makes sense they might not want to hold a celebration now. Thanks for clearing that up.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh yeah shit, I forgot about America suffering substantially worse under COVID, and that there's currently some major riots going on as well.

Actually makes sense they might not want to hold a celebration now. Thanks for clearing that up.
EA delayed the Madden 21 showcase as well, likely due to the same reasons. However unlike Ps5, nobody fucking cares about Madden.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
More important voices to be heard? Lol, they're rioters. This is my city:

Not sure what they want, as all the police involved with the murder have already been fired. Sony shouldn't be supporting these people.
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the police involved should be called to account beyond simply being fired.

Not that I'm condoning the violence either.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the police involved should be called to account beyond simply being fired.

Not that I'm condoning the violence either.
No, it's not unreasonable. He should be charged with manslaughter. But rioting? No, screw these people.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
See I'd love to believe that this was actually done out of some respect or belief on Sony's part about it not being the time or about others being able to have their voices heard.

The Cynical part of me says the following:

Sony delayed because they knew they'd get less headlines with other bigger things going on.

Sony knew Garmz Jurnalizts (Those who prefer writing about politics then tangentially relating it to games) would cause a fuss on twitter etc and slam them for any little step out of line (imagine if they have a game where you play as the police it would go down like a lead balloon with them).

Many actual journalistic publications will be too busy covering the riots and even the tech sector on about the drones etc being used by police so they'd lose coverage there.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020

Not sure what they want, as all the police involved with the murder have already been fired. Sony shouldn't be supporting these people.
If the virus doesn't kill America, Americans will make sure they all kill themselves anyway it seems judging from these riots

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
If the virus doesn't kill America, Americans will make sure they all kill themselves anyway it seems judging from these riots
Hopefully things won't be judged by these riots. Even the community most impacted by this killer cop don't want these riots. It is their community that is being burned down, with much of the violence coming to their community from without.
The USA has some gargantuan problems. They seem all the bigger as they are so unnecessary ($7 Trillion spent in Mid-East making rubble bounce to keep the military industrial complex happy). But the vast majority want to be able to work, make a fair wage and live their lives. Seems very attainable.

ITMT: If Sony had a spine, they would have kept to the reveal date as a statement that they will not be cowed. Pity. And here we've had this for weeks:

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Hopefully things won't be judged by these riots. Even the community most impacted by this killer cop don't want these riots. It is their community that is being burned down, with much of the violence coming to their community from without.
The USA has some gargantuan problems. They seem all the bigger as they are so unnecessary ($7 Trillion spent in Mid-East making rubble bounce to keep the military industrial complex happy). But the vast majority want to be able to work, make a fair wage and live their lives. Seems very attainable.

ITMT: If Sony had a spine, they would have kept to the reveal date as a statement that they will not be cowed. Pity. And here we've had this for weeks:
the Rioters wanted to make a point that Black live's matter. if all they did was burn the police station down i reckon that would've been a pretty clear message to the government that society won't stand for that type of Racism, but the Rioting has spread further than that where people are destroying the entire city.

those people aren't protesting anything anymore, just being complete thugs and now the entire police force and national guard is on edge and i saw on the news that Trump is now even threatening to bring in the Military if it continues. now both rioters AND innocent people are dying and/or getting badly injured because of the Police being on edge now and shooting things rubber paint bullets at people. i even saw that someone in the media lost their eye because of it.

it's not protesting anymore and it's now become like terrorism. even George Ffloyd's family is pleading for rioters to stop rioting now i saw in news headlines

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
the Rioters wanted to make a point that Black live's matter. if all they did was burn the police station down i reckon that would've been a pretty clear message to the government that society won't stand for that type of Racism, but the Rioting has spread further than that where people are destroying the entire city.
Even burning down a police station reminds me of something a critic of applying the 1st amendment to strippers. If a woman exposing her bare genitals is speech, what is it that she is trying to say?
ITMT, I'm aggravated that Sony wimped out. Dang them. I'll likely buy their console anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It doesn't bother me they cancelled the event. It is a reasonable and smart business and ethical decision. I don't blame them, nor do I hate them for it. I'm in no rush for the new generation. I've got plenty of games to keep me company for a while.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I hear ya. It’s the greater issue of a nation under constant, unusual distress that’s mainly causing many companies to take a moment of repose; partly because as mentioned above, they know whatever they have to say either won’t “feel” right, or get the kind of attention they’re looking for. I think even the police/race issues would largely correct themselves though if everyone was simply treated equally, as well as held equally accountable for their actions.

However, it’s also pretty clear American/Western society and culture have grown weak and complacent. Rather than addressing social injustice from the onset through more rational, functional policy (ie the Golden Fucking Rule for Christ sake), we enable the kind of behavior seen across the country because we’ve grown accustomed to having to apologize for everything short of existing. It’s to the point I’m actually surprised that Apple is tracking their looted phones, and not just giving them away to these people as like, a compensation to the pain and duress the event has caused them. If that sounds crazy, we’ll just take a moment to consider that several Hollywood celebs are actually posting bail for these rioters.

Last century it was the Roaring Twenties. I’m kinda wondering how this century’s decade will be remembered many years from now when it’s already off to such a shit start. It would be nice to think we’re getting the worst out of the way early this time, but that’s wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Sony shouldn't be supporting these people.
They don't care.

Are you people serious? You believe that a corporate decision was made because it was the right thing to do ethically? Jesus Christ on an electric scooter.

It's just business. They know what they're doing. They analyzed the situation and concluded that delaying the reveal would be in their best financial interest. Nobody's going to care about the PS5 reveal while the US burns in riots. On top of that most people on the planet support these protests so it makes Sony look like the good guys. How is this not obvious?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yeah, but this is America.

Also, China scary.
And China has lots of money while Hong Kong doesn't have as much so it's a cynical money related money.

I mean at least Sony aren't I dunno a company who punished an E-sports player for speaking out to support his fellow Hong Kong residents in what was a somewhat light hearted way that wasn't some divisive shot at "others" or anything and said is now turning round trying to say they support peoples freedoms and right to protest against what they see as issues in their society........... looking at you Activision Blizzard Looking at you.....

Reactions: BrawlMan