Sony Delays The Last of Us

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Sony Delays The Last of Us

You'll have to wait 6 more weeks for the end of the world.

Sony's much-anticipated end-of-the-world action title The Last of Us has hit a speed bump. According to the PlayStation Blog, the title will now come out 6 weeks later than we all thought, hitting the PlayStation 3 on June 14, 2013, instead of May 7. Naughty Dog's own Neil Druckmann broke the news to disappointed fans via a post on Sony's website.

"The Last of Us is an ambitious project," Druckmann begins. "In many ways it may be Naughty Dog's most ambitious project to date - brand new universe and cast of characters, brand new tech, brand new genre, not to mention it's easily the longest campaign Naughty Dog has ever made."

The announcement is worded as you might expect; Druckmann assures fans that the game is progressing smoothly, but the team misjudged how much time it would need to complete the ambitious project. Yada, yada, yada.

It's worth noting that June 14 is the day after E3 2013, which is fantastic news if you're a gamer, but less than fantastic news for videogame websites that will be attending the show and also reviewing The Last of Us. It looks like June will be filled with one more sleepless night.

Source: PlayStation Blog

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
HEY! It's the one year anniversary of me being on the Escapist!

*crickets*

So much for that. I'm not sure I'm interested in picking this up yet, time to research!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Phew, I was worried about that for a minute there. It's still on course for me to get it for my birthday :D

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
thesilentman said:
HEY! It's the one year anniversary of me being on the Escapist!

*crickets*

So much for that. I'm not sure I'm interested in picking this up yet, time to research!
Whoo! *Don's party hat and rocks 'for he's a jolly good fellow' on the kazoo*

*ahem* As much as I am looking forward to this game, I can live without it for 6 more weeks. Naughty Dog is known for making quality experiences both in story telling and gameplay and if they need another month and a half to bring it up the their standard then so be it.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Aw, May 8th is my birthday, I was looking forward to getting it. Well, I'll have to wait now.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
Heh, only 4 days before my birthday, since I was planning to get the game then this is good news for me sine I wont have to wait 6 weeks.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011

Well, shit. I wasn't expecting that. One of my most anticipated titles this year too.

Sucks but, I'm glad they decided they needed more time to work on it. I waited a long time for this game to come out... I can wait another month.

But, I gotta wonder why they decided on releasing this game the day after E3.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Eh. I saw a video where Naughty Dog blamed all of Uncharted 3's glaring flaws on the fact they committed to a single due date right from announcing the game. In light of that, I'll gladly wait as long as it takes.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
That's ok Naughty Dog, take your time. I'm in no rush, do what you gotta do.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
When I read the words like "ambitious" and "delayed" in the same news report, I start to have misgivings about the final product. Here's hoping the game lives up to it's hype, I've certainly enjoyed most Naughty Dog games so far.

Zeke17

Jan 1, 2013
6th And Silver said:
Eh. I saw a video where Naughty Dog blamed all of Uncharted 3's glaring flaws on the fact they committed to a single due date right from announcing the game. In light of that, I'll gladly wait as long as it takes.
I don't think Uncharted 3 had any particularly awful flaws. There were some elements that didn't quite work but it was still excellent.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't think I've ever been so bored with a game before it's even released as I have with the last of us.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Zeke17 said:
6th And Silver said:
I don't think Uncharted 3 had any particularly awful flaws. There were some elements that didn't quite work but it was still excellent.
Don't get me wrong, it was still a good game (I've played through it 3 times), but it could've been a lot better. For example, the pirate section doesn't fit into the plot at ALL, and it's pretty distracting. And the ending was really anti-climactic.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
There isn't a lot about this game that really catches my attention. I'll make sure to keep an eye on it at E3 however. If the Last of Us has some sort of interesting twist on the zombie survival formula I might actually add it to the list of games I need to pick up.

More time to polish the game is almost always good for us even if the date is pushed back. I'm interested in how they can predict that they weren't given enough time already. Maybe in April it would become apparent that a month wouldn't be enough time to finish it up, but they can already predict that in February? They must have a massive workload ahead of them.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Dammit, two of the most interesting titles this year (Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us) both get delayed. Grumble grumble grumble. Oh well, there will probably be fewer bugs and all that jazz. Grumble.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I will play this due to my perverse closet survivalist streak.

But I've been disappointed before as far as survivalist games go ***turns malevolent gaze upon I Am Alive***

I've gotta say the best survival games I've ever played is actually the Lost in Blue series, on Nintendo fucking DS.

And that's just sad. :(