Sony Demands Cash For PlayStation 4 Online Play

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
If this annoys anyone here there is a simple solution. Tell Sony NO. We've seen recently that, that tactic actually works.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
I find it funny that PS3 fans laughed at the dumb 360 getting raped in the wallet to play online. Now PS4 is doing the same thing, you dont hear a peep out of them. Bunch of hypocrite fanboys. There are no complaints or moaning or anything, they just say "Thats fine" and bend over. lol Sorry, but i find that funny.
except that PS+ gives you tons of free shit tons of discounts and is ten dollars cheaper per year than XBox Live Gold, and isn't a requirement for streaming services like Netflix Hulu and others like GOLD is and does. also If you buy your subscriptions/pay for your subscriptions during certain events/sales you get extra months free, I got 6 extra months free with a year subscription I bought, on top of the 6 months I already had Loaded into my account gave me 2 Years of PS+ for roughly 90 bucks. In the year or so that I have Had the service I have recieved something in the neighborhood of 20+ games completely free via PS+, and that's not all of them that were offered either,of that 20+ I passed on probably another 20 something that I personally had no interest in but 40-50 games a Year for free beats all kinds of shit out of XBLG which forces you to use the most expensive of its online programs(do they even have the cheaper one anymore or is it all just gold now?) to watch a streaming service which you have to pay for seperately

Vylox

May 3, 2013
This was something I had expected.
Not going to bother me at all... the online multi player games I play are hosted by dev/pubs and paid for by micro-trans.

Also, I'm not planning on buying any new console except maybe a 3DS, which delivers free online services anyhow (paid for by Nintendo and micro transactions)

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm so computer illiterate that I didn't even notice Playstation's online was unstable. Outside of problems with my own internet, it seemed to work most of the time. If someone could explain to me what more reliable, stable online means? As in, will there be less lag, or is that my own internet's responsibility? Will matchmaking be better? Outside of those two things I cannot think of anything I would want from the PS4's online.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Despite being old as hell I'll chime in... They can 'demand' all they want but I'll never pay a cent to play on an inferior service. Granted I'm currently on PS+ for 3 months to basically rent Hitman and Kingdoms... I played maybe 1 hour online on my PS3 in it's lifetime and 30 minutes on a free month of Xbox live so I won't miss anything at all once again.

Also is it just me or does the start of this article kinda... err not sure if I'm breaking the rules pointing it out so I shall not.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
I'm so computer illiterate that I didn't even notice Playstation's online was unstable. Outside of problems with my own internet, it seemed to work most of the time. If someone could explain to me what more reliable, stable online means? As in, will there be less lag, or is that my own internet's responsibility? Will matchmaking be better? Outside of those two things I cannot think of anything I would want from the PS4's online.
I doubt very VERY much you'll see the slightest bit of difference BUT you may feel a massive need to defend the fact you're paying for no difference your mind will tell you there is a HUGE difference like many seem to lol :p

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I was silly and was mislead by the title, I thought it was essentially saying that Playstation Plus would not allow you to pay by credit card (sony demands cash)and only by going into a retailer and buying a card with a code to enter.

On topic
I have no problem with this. As a current 360 user I am used to the annual fee and it doesn't phase me at all :)

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
RT said:
Jesse Billingsley said:
Free online play was the reason I was going to switch consoles dammit! Has anyone heard how much it will cost......
Upgrade your PC and enjoy cheap software and free multiplayer.
No....Just no.....I hate it when people say that and think its no big deal. I've been with consoles since the N64, and I only use my PC for school and writing. Plus the amount of money that it would take to get >>>>MYWhich is why most people got into consoles in the first place<<<<

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
omega 616 said:
Bit of a slowpoke moment here, this was announced on the first day of E3.

It was explained a day or two later.

I'm ok with this, pay for online but I get free games? Why would I be put out by this?
Heck, they have been pretty clearly telegraphing this one for a year or two now. Wasn't there an interview from 2 years ago where they said there would probably be some sort of payment mechanism for online play in order to support things like enhanced voice chat features, better matching etc?

While I prefer free for obvious reasons, it still feels less mercenary than XBL Gold.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Irridium said:
It should be worth noting that free-to-play games and MMO's WON'T require PS+.
Where did you hear that from?
I was hoping this would be the case, so if it's true that's a relief.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wasn't this brought up a long time ago?
You also don't mention that the systems is $5 a month or $50 a year (still cheaper than Gold), does not block F2P games, or services like Netflix, and is completely optional. Though, you do pay some lip service to the discounts and free games, though, you could have been clearer.

PS+ offers some fairly recent games as free downloads. Several of them, in fact. I think this month they are offering about $150 dollars worth of free games, including Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Saints Row The Third. On top of other discounts and free downloads, like themes and such. As long as they keep offering this sort of service, the small fee is more than worth it. As several people would attest even with the free online of the PS3.

SonOfVoorhees said:
I find it funny that PS3 fans laughed at the dumb 360 getting raped in the wallet to play online. Now PS4 is doing the same thing, you dont hear a peep out of them. Bunch of hypocrite fanboys. There are no complaints or moaning or anything, they just say "Thats fine" and bend over. lol Sorry, but i find that funny.
That's fine, buttercup. We love you, too. Hope to see you around. ;)

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Think they realized that if they were ever going to get PSN up to XBL's level in terms of speed and latency they were going to need to charge.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
sethisjimmy said:
Very vague bullshitty excuses. Charging for Online on top of game prices and the users own internet service is unjustified. Sony aren't the ones running the servers in online multiplayer. If Developers/Publishers running servers decided to charge to make up for server costs they'd have more ground to stand on than this.
If Sony forced developers to pay to make the servers then publishers would make games more expensive and would have a totally justifiable reason. I get that PC doesn't charge, but consoles are not computers and not everyone can access the internet, so charging someone who wants to go online really is the better alternative to charging EVERYONE for an online server that some may actually not want or even be able to access.

You can't have your cake and eat it for yourself, it's give and take and we gotta be willing to give a little if we wanna take some.

Apr 28, 2008
piinyouri said:
Irridium said:
It should be worth noting that free-to-play games and MMO's WON'T require PS+.
Where did you hear that from?
I was hoping this would be the case, so if it's true that's a relief.
Here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/ps4-publishers-decide-if-free-to-play-needs-ps-plus

Basically it's up to the publishers.

Oh, also, if one account on the PS4 has PS+, it applies to ALL accounts on the system. Straight from Shuhei Yoshida himself.

https://twitter.com/yosp/statuses/344369977438126080

Probably doesn't matter if you're the only one that uses the system, but with households with multiple people who play games, it's awesome news.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Dendio said:
Paying for internet twice is something im just not willing to do. Going to stay pc.
This is how I have felt since Microsoft came out with XboxLive on the original Xbox. I wish people would have some freakin self-respect and stop paying extra for stuff -_-

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Well, the next generation just became completely pointless. Looks like I'm staying this-gen til the next lot.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The backlash to this news astounds me, honestly.

Given the 360's immense success this generation, why should anyone be more than mildly-displeased that multiplayer on PS4 is locked behind PS+? (Which is cheaper than XBL Gold and giving more benefit to the user.) It's not an ideal situation, no, but it's not without precedent or reason, either.

As a mostly-single player type of guy, it really doesn't bother me at all. And even if I did play online a lot, I'd shell out an extra fiver per month for all dem benefits. Hell, I might do it anyway.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Hmm yeah, we kind of already knew all this since E3, anyway OT: Still not paying for an internet service that I'll never use enough to justify the cost, going to stick with the pc gaming for online games.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
RT said:
(big Post)
Can I play Journey? Or Destiny? Or The Division? Or Armored Core Verdict Day? If yes then I will more than happy to switch to a PC because those are games that I actually want to play, not Deus Ex or Prince of Persia. If not, then don't try and convince me to shell out $500 of well earned money for some lousy hardware that I will probably never use.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries and World of Tanks from time to time, but I rarely play them because I play consoles more.