Sony Dev Wanted God of War III to be an FPS

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Dev Wanted God of War III to be an FPS

Do you like playing as God of War's Kratos as you slaughter mountains of mythological creatures? Ever want to do it in a first-person perspective? If not, that's okay, because it's not happening. But it might have.

If you're interested in how the (admittedly stunning) graphics of God of War III were made, there's a great piece over at the Society of Digital Artists [http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5250&page=2] discussing the matter with some of the team's artists. It's a pretty fascinating read if you're into that sort of thing, but there's a little throwaway statement at the end that's even more intriguing - SCEA Art Director Ken Feldman says that he thinks God of War III would have been fantastic from a first-person perspective:

[blockquote]"I tried unsuccessfully to convince [Game Director Stig Asmussen] to make 'God of War III' a first-person shooter. Kratos could have some truly badass huge weapons that rip gods to shreds. Unfortunately he didn't see the genius in the idea."[/blockquote]

At first thought, it seems kind of silly. After all, with as much as Kratos spins around with those blades of his, you'd probably feel dizzy enough to make Mirror's Edge look like a fine little stroll in the park. But speaking of Mirror's Edge, as a general question... that game showed us that a first-person platformer could (mostly) work. If not GoW3 itself, could we see ourselves one day playing an over-the-top first-person action game?

(Via Split-Screen [http://www.split-screen.com/2009/10/01/scea-dev-tried-to-convince-making-god-of-war-iii-a-first-person-shooter/])

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
That's just... silly. Like, really silly.

I mean, I like the idea of more first-person melee combat and more first-person platforming, but both of those things still need some work.

Not to mention it just wouldn't fit the feel that God Of War's previous two games had established.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
He's stupid. I barely know what God of War is,and even i can tell it would backfire.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
It'd have to have an incredibly robust control system for aerial combos and the like.

I could kinda see it working and that if they were to do it, perhaps doing it to an already popular title would be better for sales than doing it to an entirely new IP which people are unsure about, however equally I enjoy God of War's gameplay as is right now and moving away from that is like taking the caramel out of a Mars Bar. It's already delicious, you really don't need to change it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Err, maybe a spinoff series would have worked as an FPS. God of Wine, anyone?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I've played a demo of the original God of War and it was enjoyable as it was. Even I know that making it a FPS would be like making Gears of War a RPG. It just wouldn't work.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I couldnt see that working to be honest, like a cross between mirrors edge and condemned (sort of).

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
whaleswiththumbs said:
If not GoW3 itself, could we see ourselves one day playing an over-the-top first-person action game?
May i point towards Half-Life's direction..?
No.

OT: I could actually see it working, though as has already been said, I'd prefer it as a spin off, rather than a part of the main series.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Ha ha... wait, he was serious? Well if your mission is to make every one playing the game throw up within the first five minutes then sure make it an FPS.

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
Red Steel 2 looks really good, and is obviously in first-person perspective. Sure, it's not as exaggerated as God of War, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.

I don't think the idea of a God of War FPS would be that bad, but it would definitively not need to be named "God of War 3"--I think that would have backfired without a doubt.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
And people thought Mirror's Edge would give you motion sickness, a God of War game in first person would be like riding a tilt-a-whirl.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
A first person action game that isnt a shooter (if done right) could be a shitload of fun. I think it's much better that they kept GoW third person though. If they're going to do it, use a new franchise.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
There is already people that have difficulty in playing games because of all the lights an noise makes them physically ill. To think that there are developers out there that wants to foster this effect is mind-blowing.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
it would have some sort of potential, but it would be extremely disorienting. Maybe it can work in a separate game like a spin off.