Sony Erects Online Pass Barrier Around Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Is anyone really surprised by this? Interestingly enough, they already seem to have nipped pirates in the bud. Anyway, do people really need more reasons to not really support Sony? I bought Resistance 3 and it's a good game, but that is pretty much it for me. I mean, imagine my surprise when I was told I had to input a pass code to get online. I didn't bother at that point. I just played some local co-op with a buddy of mine, and enjoyed the game thoroughly. Wonder if they'll give me extra trade in credit for not using the pass. As a side thought, if I wanted to hurt them, I'll just trade in all the games I don't play anymore so others can buy them.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
I'm not talking about piracy here. Pirates will pirate when they feel like it. DRM never makes it any more difficult and most times pirated games run better than their DRM-filled counterparts.

I'm a teacher. I'm in the business of "selling knowledge/learning". As far as I know, punishing my students for being late to class or giving them extra work for not being perfect has never helped any of them become better learners. What matters are the little extra things that make my students want to be in my classroom when the bell rings.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Uncharted has multiplayer? Seriously, I own 1 and 2 and I've never noticed it ever.
I don't know about 1 but 2 was like watered down call of duty with lag issues.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Sony, "we don't charge our customers to play mulitiplayer games unlike microsoft... appart from now, now we do!"

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
razer17 said:
Adam Jensen said:
razer17 said:
Well, I can see it from Sony's point of view: They need to make money. This helps them do that. They do deserve to get some cash from second hand sales.
No they don't. And how the hell did they convince you that they do? Used games are just like anything else used. You should be able to sell it. They need to make more money? What, they don't have enough? What the hell is wrong with you to side with the corporations that are constantly finding new ways to fuck you over? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? Used games exist because not everyone has the money to buy new games, and because people want to sell shitty games they don't need anymore. Also, when you sell a game, then you have the money to buy another one. Which in a long run makes them more money than this shitty practice. For fuck sake it's not hard to understand how illogical and just plain greedy this practice is.
Well considering that I trade in games all the damn time, and I also buy used games for the most part, but I can still see it isn't illogical. COMPANIES HAVE TO MAKE MONEY they don't have to please me or you. They have to tread a fine line. Piss off too many people like you, they start losing money, they piss off just few enough people, and they make more money.

Sony are NOT a fucking charity. They don't owe you or me any fucking favours. Personally I wouldn't buy a game pre-owned that had a one use online pass. I refuse to pay £10 for online DLC because they don't want me buying second hand. So yes, I get why it's kind of a dick move, but at the same time: SO FUCKING WHAT? It doesn't matter. It's a business. They earn money. It's their jobs. Games cost hundreds of millions of dollars to create. They need to sell enough of them to not only recoup the investment, but then to make a profit, too.

So nothings wrong with me, you indignant, self entitled arse. I'm just clever enough to realise that EA don't owe me anything, and that used games sales hurt their income.
No offense man, but companies are supposed to earn your money. It's not about entitlement to it. But they shouldn't take away your right of ownership to do it. Most companies make money by pleasing their customers. Right now companies like Sony have gamers by the balls, which is why they do this kind of thing. They have a big enough portion of the market that they can say fuck off to gamers and still make lots of money. Just as no one is entitled to free things from Sony, Sony is not entitled to anyone's money. I don't think anyone is questioning the profit motive of any company, but you can question how they make a profit. You don't say it's ok for a chemical company to dump wastes in the river behind your house because "they need to make money".

The way I see this going, as a form of total DRM, companies will try to make games exclusively online. There is no way to pirate something that is totally online with no offline components what so ever (at least not without stupid amounts of work, I'm looking at you free WoW). But, then a smart company will come along and not feel the need to control everything someone does with their product and will be profitable without a problem. Just as Sony would be profitable without all this bullshit. They literally worry over pennies on the dollar when they make ridiculous amounts of money as it is.

MarkDavis94

Jan 12, 2011
The massive problem I have with this online pass thing is that it still fucks over customers who pay for the game new.
For example, I can't remember where I read it but I think it was OXM, a Dad bought FIFA 11, and entered the online code on his account, great he can play online no issues for him.
However he had two kids who both played Xbox with seperate gamertags and according to the Dad loved playing FIFA online, but they couldn't, he was told he had to buy another 2 online passes so his kids could play the game when he already bought it brand new.

Thats why this system is beyond retarded.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Uncharted has multiplayer? Seriously, I own 1 and 2 and I've never noticed it ever.
The first game didn't have multi. But Uncharted 2 does... I don't know how you could possibly miss it, it's in the main menu, you see it every time you start the game.
Well, it's not the sort of game you even expect to have multiplayer. It can't be that good since I've never heard anyone mention it until now.

Rationalization said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
I don't know about 1 but 2 was like watered down call of duty with lag issues.
And that must be why.

EDIT: Ok! Ok! I knew it was there, people! I just lied in my first post to set up that joke.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
If you resent the extra ten dollars on top, why don't you just demand Gamestop lower the price?

Think about it - Sony are offering exactly what they've always offered - the single player and the multiplayer, all for $60. The person who's now selling you the inferior game is Gamestop - they're selling you the game without multiplayer. Therefore, why not demand they take out the price you have to pay for the multiplayer, since Gamestop aren't providing it? Pay the price for what you recieve.

The battle of preowned games is not between publishers and gamers, its between publishers and retailers. Gamers need to stop taking retailers sides and letting them get away with providing an inferior product. The publishers have given you these amazing games over the years - the fuck have Gamestop given you apart endless hassles about a subscription to their magazine?
Wait when games have "Online passes" retailers don't already lower the price to be under 60 dollars if you include you needing to buy a online pass later? (So at most no more than $49.00 so when you so when you add the 10 it'd total $59.00 which would be cheaper than new still)

Huh... Well I'd say everyone's at fault for that being the way it is right now, I'd of thought that'd be the natural reaction to reducing the price of those games to compensate that "fee" Since they can sell games a lot cheaper later on down the line.

On a side note: I wonder how people would react to games that have online gameplay designed at the start being reduced in price to $49.99 they do everything the same way but you only get access to the single player/off-line mode(s) only. Now this would be the only version sold everywhere so no issues with some copies having online at a higher price or not and mixing up the two versions of the games other than Standard, Collector's Edition and Etc. Now in order to play it Online you have to pay an extra 10 dollars. Now the total becomes the current standard of 59.99 a little less since digit fees don't add tax for the last ten dollars but would people still not like it because they just can't get every thing at once or because if they borrow it from a friend they have to pay money to get online play?

Sammaul

Nov 25, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
First one didn't have multiplayer, the second does.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Considering a lot of the time most pirates don't actually go online with their pirated for normal reasons i.e. console banning/console bricking, your going straight after the preowned buyers, the rent box people, and people that lend their games to friends.

It's a scapegoat to say your trying to make people pay for the online if they didn't pay for it because in the used/rented/borrowed case, it WAS already paid for, same for Locked content already on the disc. If they could actually try to measure the pirate end of it, you'd think they'd actual stop it.

Also if it's anything like uncharted 2, sony already plans on making us pay for more maps, more character skins, and so on down the road, things that aren't needed, but make sense to sell along side of a game to make money, not demand 10 bucks or a code to input even if you bought the game new.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Remember when the premise of the PS33's online was free online play?

How many ways have they broken that?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
ASnogarD said:
Miles000 said:
It seems I'm in the minority of agreeing with what they are doing here.
I think the online pass is actually a good idea. Good on them for getting something from pre-owned sales.

I have used it with many EA games, and have no problems with it.

Although I think Homefront did it best.
Even if you bought it pre-owned, you could still play the MP, just not level up beyond rank 5.
The real solution is actually to stop making generic forgetable games, and make good games players wont want to sell on.
The issue here is that the big publishers just spam out lots of generic forgetable, not much reply factor games to max out profits... and so when the buyer finishes or gets bored of a generic title they use it to get a discount on the next generic title.

I dont hand in titles I actually enjoyed, hell no... I go back to old titles I had fun with and play again, and again... only boring generic titles go back to the store.
And you're definitely everyone. Only generic boring titles get traded in which is why GameStop always has used copies of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Demon's Souls. The Uncharted games. And a lot of other triple A, well liked by reviewer and gamer alike games.

Because people only trade in generic and forgettable games.

I still have no problem with this. As I've said I don't even know how many times on these forums, used games are usually $5 less than the new copy for a good number of months after it's released.

And in that time you can find the game on sale new somewhere, for cheaper.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Kinda annoying. Meh, I was going to buy it new anyway so t doesn't effect me and I am apparently not in a mood to ***** about this right now like ususal.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eve Charm said:
Considering a lot of the time most pirates don't actually go online with their pirated for normal reasons i.e. console banning/console bricking, your going straight after the preowned buyers, the rent box people, and people that lend their games to friends.
I didn't think there was even any pretense this wasn't going after used gamers.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
If people don't like the online passes, don't purchase the products utilizing them. Simple as that. It's only a game and you will be just fine without it.

Also, he said erects. Hnf hnf hnf hnf hnf hnf