Sony Exec Blasts Microsoft for Content Policy

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
JeanLuc761 said:
MarkDavis94 said:
God when will EA stop bashing on Activi... Oh wait,

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
They usually are better, actually. God of War 3, Uncharted 2, the Ratchet & Clank series, Killzone 2 and 3 etc simply would not be possible on the Xbox 360, and they are all phenomenally good games.
Yeah, I'm going to second that and add Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 1 & 2, and Little Big Planet 1 & 2.

I have an XBox 360, and there are some exclusives on it that I couldn't live without (Gears of War, Bastion, Prey, Mass Effect), but PS3 really has more going for it in the exclusives department. Plus, they ported No More Heroes now, so the good, exclusive hard-core titles on the Wii are getting whittled down (Red Steel series on PS3? Pretty please? Maybe Mad World after that?)

Really, as far as this slobbering Playstation fanboy is concerned, PC gamers are the only ones who can legitimately claim videogame superiority over the PS3.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
"Superior technology" doesnt all ways mean better.
The PS3 has longer load, save and update times then the 360.
The bluray player is kind of pointless in my opinion. My video store has roughly 50-100 bluray movies, but thousands of regular dvd's.
The PS3 has a built in harddrive, while most 360's have an external. This means if i go over a friends, id have to lug my entire PS3 with me just for my saved data, where as with the 360, i pop the top off, and dont risk damaging my system in transportation.

The 360 is also cheaper. Sure, my 360 may break one day, but it will only cost me 99$ to replace. I have had to replace my 360 ONCE. But even then, i still broke even with the cost of a PS3.

I own all 3 systems. A 360, a WII, and a PS3. And to be honest, im more of a computer gamer then console. But the 360 being "inferior technology" doesn't make it worse then the PS3.
Does the Ak-47 being an "inferior designed" assault rifle make it worse then the M16? No, because it fulfills it purpose of putting people 6 feet under.

Graphics are nice. But the difference between 720 and 1080p will never be noticed, less they are sitting side by side. Because a real gamer doesnt sit there in the middle of CoD and say, "OMG THE GROUND IS SOOOOOO PRETTY AND THE CLOUDS ARE SO FLUFFY! <3"

That Eeyore

Aug 18, 2009
Dude has some points, I've heard horror stories about how XBLA is for developers.

Not sure how I feel about his assertion that you need the absolute best technology in order to be truly creative though. Sometimes being creative is doing a lot with limited resources, not just having a lot of resources.

The REAL thing stifling creativity in the industry is how expensive games are getting to make.

On a side note, if, hypothetically MS DID want to incorporate Blu Ray to a console, could they legally? I mean, isn't that Sony's baby there?

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
for those saying how the ps3 is "better" hardware wise, well no surprise the xbox is weaker.
at release in the USA
XBOX 360 - 22 November 2005 for US$399.99
PS3 - 17 November 2006 for US$599

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Right then, primarily PC gamer here, have a 360/PS3, though the PS3 has become a glorified blu-ray player, and the 360 usually just gets played for the occasional bit of Gears or Halo. That being said, we are fairly overdue for a new console generation, and I certainly hope that both guys have learned from their mistakes for the next gen. MS will likely implement blu-ray for their next console, and that alone really ought to help games start pushing forward again, and hopefully end this whole stupid "protecting 'inferior' technology" nonsense, for a while at least.

Really now, this guy has a bit of a point, but he just comes of as childish.

That Eeyore said:
On a side note, if, hypothetically MS DID want to incorporate Blu Ray to a console, could they legally? I mean, isn't that Sony's baby there?
Yes, they could, since it was the same case for DVD's. It's just a matter of it not being practically for the current gen, but really no reason why it shouldn't be a thing in the next xbox.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
The OP summed it up perfectly, it's a great point and he's completely right, but he comes across as a stupid, petty fanboy.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
MarkDavis94 said:
God when will EA stop bashing on Activi... Oh wait,

The guy says Xbox is the inferior console PS3 is better blah blah blah, but if the PS3 is so much better why aren't the PS3 exclusive games astoundingly better than cross platform games?
Well, they are...
There's a reason I have a PS3 & gaming PC, because theres nothing the xbox offers that isn't covered by those 2 (often better on one or both).
If you just want one system and the xbox has the games you want then enjoy, and don't worry about what others think, but reality is that the PS3 is far superior than the 360 in terms of capabilities, weather you like how the OS looks or what 'features' are avaliable is up to personal taste.

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Is it just me or is is that point in the year when everyone one in the industry decides to talk and inordinate amount of crap about each other? Oh wait that is ALL year. Please people, can we just stop. Most of your target audience is growing or has grown up, you do not need to pester each other like a kid on a playground. In unrelated news...
kouriichi said:
My video store has roughly 50-100 bluray movies, but thousands of regular dvd's.
HOLY SHIT you have a video store? Seriously is it like one of those cool hole in the wall ones? All of them have closed in my area, and netflix has upped their price. Ohh well TO THEPIRATEBAY!!!! jkjk

Captcha: through ikeEcons is this a statement on a past president's economic ideals.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
42 said:
I agree with the content policy stuff because i think Microsoft is way too tightarse with it but to hell with it I'm going their, If Microsoft is the one with inferior technology, then why was it Sony the one that was easily hacked? if i had to pick between the two, i'll go with the one that protects personal info. but then again anything can be hacked. sort of defeated my own statement there. crap.
When he said inferior technology, I think he meant that the 360 uses DVDS while the PS3 uses Bluray.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Well yeah, this is what PC gamers have been pissed about for years. Only its 10x worse on pc.

Microsoft can go pound sand though. If a AAA like oh say COD came out with a far superior version on pc with bigger battles much more single player content. Xbox would still release it because they are full of it.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
Fact is Sony does have the superior console...for now.
The Blu-Ray tech the PS3 uses is superior to any other console on the market now. It's as proven as the fact that the 360 is built horribly.

Still, no reason to be pompous about it, Sony. You want to make a statement then do so without making it into a commercial for your console. What, are you tearing into the fallen giant because you think the WiiU will get back that massive gimmick audience the Wii generated and rake in more mountains of cash?

P.S. I highly doubt that's the case because the "casual gamer" is much like the "avid gamer" in one respect: This hobby is expensive and we need to eat.
In this economy? With this job market? No, I'm not getting the WiiU or the PSVita or the 3DS, and I doubt the typical casual gamer thinks much differently.

Besides all that, the 360 still does have a loyal fanbase and many of them have a PS3 also. The only reason I keep mine around anymore is because of Mass Effect, but the way Bioware seems to barely care about bringing anything from the previous games into the new installments is making me second guess that. However, even if I'm not the guy waiting eagerly for the next Halo game, I am the guy who doesn't like giving money to douches, and times like these when Sony execs confuse their statements with commercials for their products makes me a little less proud to be a Sony fan.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
silent-treatment said:
Is it just me or is is that point in the year when everyone one in the industry decides to talk and inordinate amount of crap about each other? Oh wait that is ALL year. Please people, can we just stop. Most of your target audience is growing or has grown up, you do not need to pester each other like a kid on a playground. In unrelated news...
kouriichi said:
My video store has roughly 50-100 bluray movies, but thousands of regular dvd's.
HOLY SHIT you have a video store? Seriously is it like one of those cool hole in the wall ones? All of them have closed in my area, and netflix has upped their price. Ohh well TO THEPIRATEBAY!!!! jkjk

Captcha: through ikeEcons is this a statement on a past president's economic ideals.
Lol. Actually, its pretty large. Bigger then most blockbusters ive been to.
They survive by giving out amazing deals :D
You can get 6 movies and 2 games for 6$. And most of their games are already marked 2 for 1.

Bluray is not a bad technology or anything, but i feel like its the next 8 track. Its a bigger, better technology then what we have, but were in an age where we can evolve past it to quickly for it to make a huge impact on the market.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
Megacherv said:
And even then, they're CoD map packs, which are overpriced pieces of bleeergh. I'd rather they had that and we kept our Steam access with Valve games.
Oh no argument there, I just love playing zombies so I want THAT one map out of the five. WTH? I'm not paying 15 bucks for ONE map! The Resurrection pack I will be getting though. Still way overpriced. Should be $5. not 15.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
kouriichi said:
silent-treatment said:
kouriichi said:

You can get 6 movies and 2 games for 6$. And most of their games are already marked 2 for 1.

Bluray is not a bad technology or anything, but i feel like its the next 8 track. Its a bigger, better technology then what we have, but were in an age where we can evolve past it to quickly for it to make a huge impact on the market.
Maybe your video store is just catering to people who prefer dvd's...because walk into a bestbuy walmart target anything and it tells the opposite story.

Bluray is the new standard. The next "evolution" past is entirely digital property. Like downloading/streaming all media. There is no need for a new standard disk media bigger then bluray, by the time its necessary to make a market switch digital storage will be in place.

I also dont see how it hasnt had a "huge impact" on the market. Because it did. There was a format war. It won. Its the standard. Laser Disk was the 8 track

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
kouriichi said:
silent-treatment said:
kouriichi said:

Lucky person. I have a blu-ray player, and I love it, but I see where you are coming from. With the internet getting as fast as it is, and hard drives getting bigger and bigger, I can see a time not all that far from now where everything, and I mean everything, movie related will be direct download. And this will be a good, thing. I see what happened to the music industry happening to the movie industry. LET THE INDIE TAKE OVER. Seriously, Arcade Fire anyone. I, for one, did not see that coming.

edit:
bombadilillo said:
Laser Disk was the 8 track
it was also a Frisbee :D

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
MarkDavis94 said:
I see your point and believe me I'm not shitting on PS3 exclusives, I do think that they are good games, but I've never been on a PS3 exclusive and then been dissapointed with cross platform games. A lot of cross platform games are amazing, and to say that Microsoft are stopping people from being creative is a bit far. Sure Sony may not be able to put on better graphics but that doesn't stop creativity
But technology helps creativity. When you are holding studios back from using an obviously superior platform, (by means of tech in it, lets not start a flame war) to the best of its abilities you are definitely holding back some creativity. When you can fit an entire Final Fantasy game on one disc on one platform and on 8 discs on another, you know something is messed up. Microsoft needs to get with the times.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
mb16 said:
for those saying how the ps3 is "better" hardware wise, well no surprise the xbox is weaker.
at release in the USA
XBOX 360 - 22 November 2005 for US$399.99
PS3 - 17 November 2006 for US$599
agreed, xbox launched earlier with hardware that was the best choice at the time for them. they went with dvd because blue-ray wasn't the winner in the HD competition yet and High Def DVD could have taken the cake, plus they wanted a faster release with cheaper console costs. but since the cost of blue-ray has dropped since the consoles launch the next gen will definatly have it.

sony is the big blue-ray backer and it makes sense why they put blue ray in their consoles, but it made them launch later and at $200 more, and it took a long time to get a good library for the ps3 behind them.

so at the time the consoles were made xbox made a good choice, but i don't think anybody expected this gen to go on for as long as it has, and yes the dvd disc format is starting to show it's age, but is they really an issue now? personally i don't mind if graphics stayed where they are now and the games themselves got better. for years it's been a race to get te best graphics, now that i think they are good enough can we get around to better story telling, game play, and what not?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
According to this guy, Dead Space 2, Final Fantasy XIII, and games like Blue Dragon were not and technically unable to be released on the Xbox 360. Also Xbox 360 users are not able to watch the hundreds of HD movies that they watch everyday(BTW those movies on the marketplace are cheaper than Blu-ray versions)