Sony Expanding Spider Man Universe, To Produce One Movie A Year

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Marvel may release yearly films, but it isn't of the same character...all sony can do is Spiderman, where Marvel have everything else but the fantastic 4 and the X-men...which is still a lot of characters.

I admit im liking the look of the second one, but really? Yearly?

Sony, give the rights back to Marvel, and Marvel, if this should happen, Keep Andrew Garfield as Spidey.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
So when's Black Cat gonna be showing up in these Spider-Man flicks? Or Kraven the Hunter? Or Morbius the Living Vampire?

Can't say i'm too excited about seeing Rhino and that electro guy i can never remember the name of despite having seem him both in the really old cartoon and the 90's one. And has Scorpion been in any of these movies too? If he has i can't remember it and they probably should've handled it better.

I mean, it's not like there's not enough villains for Spidey to tangle with, but one of the things that made some of the old Spider-Man cartoons interesting was meeting up with other heroes to maybe punch some of their villains instead. When Disney/Marvel holds pretty much all the other heroes Spider-Man is immediately at a great disadvantage.

Oh well... maybe i'll change my mind if they make a (good) movie with Morbius. As a side note: Anyone know who holds the rights to Blade at this time?

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Thinking about the Marvel movie universe fills me with excitement and interest.
It's just such an impressive undertakng and generally awesome thing to me.

This does nothing for me. And I didn't even hate the Amazing Spiderman.
But hey, maybe they can make it into something awesome? Anything could happen.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Oh well... maybe i'll change my mind if they make a (good) movie with Morbius. As a side note: Anyone know who holds the rights to Blade at this time?
Pretty sure Blade's rights are back with Marvel, along with Daredevil and Ghostrider.

Why yes, I ám hoping to see Ghostrider in a good movie, though I am kind of hoping they'll keep Nicholas Cage for the part.... Daredevil will appearantly get his own miniseries along with Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage as the Defenders.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
No, don't, Spiderman is a bad character to do that with right now. He doesn't have enough villains or counterparts. Even as a fan I didn't bother with the last set of movies. His reboots are rebooting too much and his bad guys are going to dry up fast. Give Spidey a break.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The_Darkness said:
Now I can look forward to Avengers 3 including Spidey...
Why would you even care? There are dozens of Avengers that would be a better fit.

Baresark said:
Well, that simply means that eventually it will revert back to Marvel because they have a lot of trouble producing a good movie with comic characters.
Er...What? It doesn't matter if they're good.

circularlogic88 said:
Sony REALLY wants to hold onto this IP.
Yes, they do, but that has nothing to do with this. This is "Sony REALLY wants some movies that will make money."

DocImpossible452 said:
Think it'll be successful enough to hold on or do you think we'll be seeing another reboot in five years?
Can't it be both?

CriticalMiss said:
So when they say they are making Sinister Six and Venom in to movies do they mean they will be part of a Spidey movie or will they be seperate? Maybe they could pull it off if they don't cram Spiderman in to every single film but I'm not really sure who else the hero could be. Unless we are supposed to root for Venom in an anti-hero way against something worse. I thought the reboot was kind of boring so I know I'm less interested in movies with him in, but maybe they will do well with other characters in that mini-Universe.
A venom movie is really easy because, as you say, he's been pretty much an anti-hero. Even when he's trying to kill Spider-Man, he does the whole "principles" thing and even early on they would occasionally help each other in the midst of their blood feud. It'd be great if they spun it out of a Spider-Man movie. And hopefully didn't make Venom suck.

An S6 movie...That's not as easy without Spider-Man.

You know what'd be cool but never happen? Use some of Spidey's allies from the comics, like several of the cartoons have done. Prowler, Silver Sable, Black Cat...Not every single one is a winner (I doubt anyone really remembers Rocket Racer), but Spider-Man's got as big a family as Batman does.

Naqel said:
Or is Sony actively trying to destroy the franchise(as far as movies go) before they're forced to give it up?
How would they be forced to give it up?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lyvric said:
No, don't, Spiderman is a bad character to do that with right now.
Are you serious? The movies haven't even scratched the surface. It'd be nice if they skipped the Sinister Six, in fact.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I can't think of a better way to kill a franchise other than forcing dancing musical numbers into it at ill-fitting times for no reason... actually, come to think of it, that might make these shitty Spiderman movies better. At least they'd be entertaining and actually funny (unlike what the new Peter is trying to be).

But, yeah, can't think of a series a yearly release hasn't worked out for... you've got Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Expendables seems to be doing a yearly thing, I think Fast & Furious is nearly a yearly series, and I'm sure there are other things... none of these I watch or play because I have absolutely no interesting in them... but it seems to work out fine for them for the most part. So, whatever, right?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Trishbot said:
It's the exact same reason Fox is pumping out so many X-men films. Hell, they already announced a new X-men movie months BEFORE the newest one was even released, along with announcing a new Wolverine, X-Force, and possibly Deadpool, because the more they can put out, the more they can lock down those rights from expiring... even if the movie is terrible.
I would just like to point out that Deadpool has been a "possibility" for years but has made absolutely no headway. I'm almost ready to give up hope that it'll ever be made...

...And even if they did, they'd probably still cast it with the ever talentless Ryan Reynolds who should have never been in film to begin with. (Honestly never seen a movie with him in where he (or the movie) was any good).

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
How would they be forced to give it up?
If they don't release a new one within 5 years of the previous one, they lose the rights to the franchise.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
SilverUchiha said:
Trishbot said:
It's the exact same reason Fox is pumping out so many X-men films. Hell, they already announced a new X-men movie months BEFORE the newest one was even released, along with announcing a new Wolverine, X-Force, and possibly Deadpool, because the more they can put out, the more they can lock down those rights from expiring... even if the movie is terrible.
I would just like to point out that Deadpool has been a "possibility" for years but has made absolutely no headway. I'm almost ready to give up hope that it'll ever be made...

...And even if they did, they'd probably still cast it with the ever talentless Ryan Reynolds who should have never been in film to begin with. (Honestly never seen a movie with him in where he (or the movie) was any good).
"Buried" with him is phenomenal. He CAN be great with the right material.

But the Deadpool movie... we'll see. The whole entire completed script by the Zombieland writers leaked online and I read it... it was absolutely, mind-blowingly hilarious, wacky, and action-packed, and I would gladly toss money at it if it came out in theaters. The script reviews were universally positive, but the project was put on hold after other "R-rated" superhero movies underperformed (Kickass 2, Watchmen, Constantine, etc.).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Naqel said:
If they don't release a new one within 5 years of the previous one, they lose the rights to the franchise.
That's a non-sequiter. It has nothing to do with their current release schedule as they were well within that threshold without it. So why would they feel the need to destroy the franchise because of something they don't have to worry about? Or are you seriously thinking the one license that was making them money hand over fist was something that was in danger of reverting?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SilverUchiha said:
ONe day, Ryan Reynolds will play every superhero. Even the women.

Crossovers would be easy to schedule, at least.