Sony Expects Most PS2 Users to Move onto PS3

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Sony Expects Most PS2 Users to Move onto PS3

Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai takes the longer view on PS3 sales, saying he expects most PS2 users to make the switch.

Hirai said that his company "know that most PS2 consumers will transition over to the PS3" and said it's "fantastic" if consumers keep using the PS2 because of its high profitability.

The PS2 has a massive install base of 130 million users.

He said that PS3 sales were not "an all or nothing proposition" because some people using the PS2 today - years after initial release - will buy a PS3 next year and can be expected to buy new software for their new console.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/hirai-most-ps2-owners-will-become-ps3-owners-eventually]

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Not in the U.S. - maybe next year is more likely but right now everyone is still Neck n' Neck and the PS3 is more expensive (only by about 50 bucks) than the 360 and right now with prices going so high, people don't care about how "Good" it is - they want "Good Enough but cheap" - and right now the 360 is at that 299-350 sweet spot. Don't know how much the Elite is though but with 130 million who own a PS2 which is cheaper than a Wii, I don't expect any of them to go get any of the new systems. I also think that a lot of people are getting a PS2 slim as their "first console" now too.

I hear in Australia these consoles are around 1,000 dollars. Ridiculous.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
So is this a subtle way to say they won't be licensing PS2 games as of next year?
No persona 5 I guess - hell I expect Persona 4 to be the PS2's "swan song" - it looks too good.

If the PS2 isn't dead now they shouldn't kill it though, just sounds like a bad idea.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Hmmm... Well, I for one am a PS2 owner that will definitely not be getting a PS3. It's too expensive, it doesn't have as many games as the other consoles, and developers haven't been capitalizing on the blu-ray format as much as they would need to to make the games way better than 360 and Wii games.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I just remembered, the PS2 was $300 on release wasn't it? Didn't people say that was expensive? I can't remember 'cause i have a horrid memory but $100 more isn't that much.

I wouldn't be too surprised if most PS2 owners switched, most of them would be loyal Sony fans i'm sure.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Jumplion said:
I wouldn't be too surprised if most PS2 owners switched, most of them would be loyal Sony fans i'm sure.
Survey says.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.66668

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
shatnershaman said:
Jumplion said:
Survey says.

Hmmmm, nope can't think of anything witty to say back to that except that I don't think we have alot of Japanese Escapians here (best i could come up with)

AlphaWolf13

Mar 20, 2008
Jumplion said:
shatnershaman said:
Jumplion said:
Survey says.

Hmmmm, nope can't think of anything witty to say back to that except that I don't think we have alot of Japanese Escapians here (best i could come up with)
All I can say is... Microsoft hasn't been in the race for as long as everyone else, so OBVIOUSLY people are going to be switching from either Sony or Nintendo, unless it's just an all around new system for them...

Biaseeddddddd

snoogit

May 18, 2008
That doesn't even make sense, unless you're implying that more people skipped the last generation of consoles, and are moving up from the N64, and original Playstation. Which would be retarded.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I'd say its a good bet that the majority of Ps2 users will transition to the Ps3. Even if the 360 steals 1 or 2 exclusives, the major stuff - Jak and Daxter, God of War, Metal Gear Solid - remain on the ps3.
Naughty Dog is still making Jak and Daxter? Shame, they have the habit of running a series into the ground (see Crash Bandicoot), and I'd rather they leave Jak to rest in peace then milk the series.

As for the actual claim, I'm not sure. I myself was a former PS2 owner who got a Xbox 360, but that was my choice. I can't speak for other (except the Japanese, who will definitely get a PS3).

It would be nice if they had some study or something. You know, to back up the claim, because there are quite a few people who are vocal about having migrated from Sony (PS2) to Microsoft (Xbox 360) this generation.

Actually, how many PS2 owners are still waiting to get a next-gen console? There can't be many, right?

Jul 8, 2008
I would move onto PS3 if I could afford the damn thing. Everytime I get over $200 i have to spend it on food or gas or some other shit I don't need. All I need are games.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I moved from the PS2 to the 360. It was the cheapest option I could find (£200 compared the the £350-£400 some places were demanding), most of my friends had one so it meant I could go online with them and it had some titles that I was particularly interested in.

If it weren't so damn expensive and if I actually knew one other person I speak tro on a regular basis who had one...then I might be persuaded to get PS3.

PS: To the guy who said the 360 stole some PS3 exclusives...need I mention the PS3 port of Condemned 2?Now...was Condemned 1 ever released on the PS3?...they're just as bad as each other.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Fair few, actually. I know one guy who actually dropped out of console gaming altoghter.
Most PS2 owners have already migrated (I'm guessing they were waiting for MGS4, but yeh), so there isn't much of that market to tap into.

Frankly, after this generation, I'm going to upgrade and game on my PC. It's cheaper.

elimob441

Jun 2, 2008
I was a big xbox person but I moved to ps3 and 360, I actually won a 360 for a raffle, but I got the ps3 like a week ago it is good great, perfect...

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hear in Australia these consoles are around 1,000 dollars. Ridiculous.
On release they cost us just over $1000. The price of them now is cheaper... but only by a few hundred (if that).

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Five hundred dollars. The cheapest I've seen is a $1000 deal that comes with Resistance and a second controller. I suppose it depends on who you know.

And it's not suprising that people go from PS2 to PS3 but I doubt we can expect sales around the 100 million mark.