Sony Files Patent for Backwards-Compatible PS3 Add-on

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Files Patent for Backwards-Compatible PS3 Add-on

Backwards compatibility could be returning to the PS3 in a different form than you were probably expecting.

After a slow and unsteady start out the gate, Sony's PS3 has been steadily gaining steam in the past few years. Still, for all the improvements made to the hardware since its launch, there remains a bone of contention among PS3 owners and would-be owners: If you don't have a launch-era 60GB unit, you don't have native backwards compatibility.

Considering that the PS2 has one of the most (rightfully) lauded game libraries of all time, this is quite a sore spot among people who would rather not have to plug in a wholly separate console just to play Shadow of the Colossus or Persona 4. It's made all the more sore by the recent revelations that Sony is finally making profits on every PS3 sold - if cost-cutting was the reason for removing backwards compatibility, can't they just put it back in now?

A patent recently filed by Sony Japan indicates that yes, Sony is thinking about the return of PS3 backwards-compatibility - just not as we knew it. According to research done by Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/14/sony-japan-files-patent-for-new-generation-console-to-previous-generation-console-adapter/], the patent in question is for an external add-on "adapter" that would allow a PS3 console to play PS2 discs.

The device apparently contains its own DVD decoder, CPU, and graphics and sound processors - so, from the sound of it, Sony's patent is essentially a PS2 that you plug into your PS3? Er, I guess it saves on having to switch cords, so it's better than nothing, right?

At any rate, this is only an application for a patent - someone needs to approve it first, and just because a patent has been filed doesn't mean that anything will necessarily come of it. While I would much prefer the return of actual backwards compatibility without the need for fancy addon doodads (hey, remember how well that worked out for Sega?), this at least shows that the issue is on Sony's radar.

(Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/14/sony-japan-files-patent-for-new-generation-console-to-previous-generation-console-adapter/])

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I like this as long as its not too expensive. Hell, if its cheap enough I might sell my ps2 to get this when I get a ps3.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd buy it...For $50 or less.

This way I could play without having to unplug to Wii.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Sounds good. If the price is right... And by right I mean at the very most two thirds of the price of a ps2.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
The PS3 isn't backwards compatible any more? I suddenly lost a rather large amount of interest in buying one, and if the PSN follows the way of Xbox Live then I definately won't waste my money. If I want to play PS2 games then I'll just get a PS2 again, they're probably £20 now and this device will undoubtedly go on sale for four times that.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
"Sounds good?" What used to be included with the ps3 for free being separated and sold for any price is utter bullshit.

Jesus fucking christ people, stop thinking its okay to pay for what you used to get free.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Well, I still have a PS2, so unless this is easy enough to use and cheap enough to buy, I'll probably pass.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
PS2 doesn't have HDMI. It's a pretty big difference playing PS2 games on the PS3 than just plugging a PS2 into and HDtv. This could be good for some people, though why not just make an emulator?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
It's simple enough to just pick up a PS2 on its own. Unless there are not enough PS2s in circulation, then it isn't necessary.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
quantumsoul said:
PS2 doesn't have HDMI. It's a pretty big difference playing PS2 games on the PS3 than just plugging a PS2 into and HDtv. This could be good for some people, though why not just make an emulator?
Sure, the ps3 will upscale in place of your TV's crappy upscaling, but the reason the ps2 doesn't have HDMI (ya know, ignoring it didn't exist when the ps2 launched) is because it doesn't output a resolution of anything resembling what HDMI is used for.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
this sounds unbelievably stupid.
yes the thought of playing PS2 games on my PS3 is a nice idea.
But I have made peace with the realty of the situation.
the prospect of having to shell out even more money to be able to do it is ridiculous and not even worth it anymore since I now own a power strip and a multi AV jack plugin box so all I have to do to switch between my PS3, PS2, Wii, SNES and 360 is push a button on top of my TV.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
This is why I'm glad I bought a PS3 when they first came out and with backwards compatibility. <3

Whats the point though? it serves no purpose, if you have PS2 games, you already have a PS2. The whole point of backwards compatibility is to have it all in one console. |: