Sony Has Finally Ended Production of the PlayStation 3

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sony Has Finally Ended Production of the PlayStation 3

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1409/1409010.jpgAfter 11 years and over 80 million units, Sony has ceased production of the PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 4 launched on November 15, 2013. If you thought that would spell the end of PS3, you'd be wrong. The 500 GB model of the previous generation Sony console has remained in production for three-and-a-half years since the PS4 launched, but its run has come to an end. Sony announced yesterday that it had ended production on the long-running console.

The news comes courtesy of Gematsu [http://gematsu.com/2017/05/playstation-3-production-ended-japan], who reported that Sony had listed the final PS3 model in production, the 500 GB CECH-4300C, as "shipment complete."

The PlayStation 3 launched on November 11, 2006, and has sold over 80 million units since then. It ended up finishing its life roughly even in sales with the Xbox 360. The PS4 is on pace to surpass the PS3's numbers, as Sony reported at the end of last month that it has already shipped 78 million.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
I wish I had a 500 GB model of the PS3, but I am stuck with a 75.
You could always yank the hard drive and replace it with whatever you want. It's a pretty simple process.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
ffronw said:
Samtemdo8 said:
You could always yank the hard drive and replace it with whatever you want. It's a pretty simple process.
But I have a bunch of PS1 classics in my old hardive and the patch that fixes Silent Hill and Zone of the Enders HD collections.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Wait, it was still in production? I thought it ended around the same time as the Xbox 360.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
ffronw said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But I have a bunch of PS1 classics in my old hardive and the patch that fixes Silent Hill and Zone of the Enders HD collections.
Maybe copy them to a thumb drive and move that stuff to the new drive?

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
It was born with a hefty price tag thanks to the Blu-Ray and had a infrastructure that was a bastard to develop for that as far as I can tell didn't really have such a design for any purpose other than to make development harder. Good companies were put out of business thanks to this monsters architecture and they did it on purpose. To hell with ye.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So does that mean Sony will finally release the hostages and allow Demons Souls to get ported to the PC? Since the PS3 is officially dead now, right?

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Since the NES it's the only console I had to buy 2 of, and a replacement HD for the replacement PS3 on top of that. I only have a few games for it but they are all some of my favorites. Except for Folklore and FF13, I never did finish them. Oblivion and Skyrim, Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma, Dead Space and Assassin's Creed good times.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Man, what I'd give to have my 1st Gen PS3 again. ALL the media slots, ALL the backwards compatibility. Died on me, YLOD. No saving it really, sold it for scrap basically.
Dalisclock said:
So does that mean Sony will finally release the hostages and allow Demons Souls to get ported to the PC? Since the PS3 is officially dead now, right?
If we sacrifice enough goats, maybe?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Callate said:
Good grief. Doesn't make the Wii-U look too good, does it?
The whatnow?[footnote]Yes, you saw what I did thar.[/footnote]

OT: I had no idea they were still in production. I wish the backwards-compatible models came with more space too, though.