Sony Has Sold Over 30 Million PlayStation 4s

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Sony Has Sold Over 30 Million PlayStation 4s

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/586/586667.jpg

"PS4 continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation hardware history."

In a $299 in the US [http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/151125_e.html] as part of an Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection bundle from Black Friday through Cyber Monday. According to the press release, the PS4 "continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation® hardware history."

"We are sincerely grateful that gamers across the globe have continued to choose PS4 as the best place to play since launch two years ago," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "We are committed to bringing engaging games and entertainment services to users worldwide. Thanks to the support of our partners, PS4 continues to be the premier platform for game and interactive entertainment innovation."

The cost of a PlayStation 4 dropped by $50 in October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142761-PS4-Price-Cut-in-US-and-Canada].

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
and soon they will be getting my money too. im serious considering getting one next year. but i always will be a pc gamer by heart but at least i will have the chance to play "the last of us" since this is a ps exclusive.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
It's definitely going stronger in total sales than the PS3 did at this time, but despite it's record-breaking sales rate during its launch, I feel like it may be going along rather slowly. If I recall correctly, the PS3 sold about 20 million units after 2 years, which pretty impressive considering the massive blunder at launch (FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS). Not to mention that its competitors are faring far worse than they did after a couple of years in the last gen. Overall I feel like dedicated gaming hardware is not selling quite as well as it did during the last generation. Maybe I'm wrong and Black Friday will show a massive boost to hardware sales, but I can't think of any major titles on the way to PS4 or Xbox One that will convince the selling of more units.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
A lot of sales for console which still has few exclusives to justify them.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
So the next time vgchartz.com updates there will be almost 3 times as many PS4 consoles sold compared to Wii U consoles. And almost twice as many PS4 consoles sold compared to Xbox One consoles.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
It's definitely going stronger in total sales than the PS3 did at this time, but despite it's record-breaking sales rate during its launch, I feel like it may be going along rather slowly.
The PS3 always sold fairly well, it just sold almost exactly at the same rate through it's whole life as it got cheaper and the games got better. Whereas the 360 and the Wii both had periods of explosive sales and then tailing off.

What I want to see is if the PS4 dropping further in price will see it's sales increase the way the PS2 did. The PS2 took almost exactly two years to reach 30 million units too, but in the next two years they sold another 40 million, then another 40 million in the two years after that. I suppose it depends on how far the price comes down and how good the games turn out to be.

While I'm speculating, I wonder if Microsoft will ever truly understand how Sony got it so much more right than them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
munx13 said:
It's being both cheaper and objectively more powerful than the competition certainly help that decision along.

If all you do is buy FIFA and CoD every year and you don't do PC, may as well buy the box that FIFA and CoD are going to look their best on.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Metalrocks said:
and soon they will be getting my money too. im serious considering getting one next year. but i always will be a pc gamer by heart but at least i will have the chance to play "the last of us" since this is a ps exclusive.
My sentiments as well though in my case there are other PS exclusives I would rather get. The PS4 is looking to be my device of choice when Kingdom Hearts III finally comes out (since Square Enix hates PC users). The announcement of backwards compatibility is a huge draw, though I do hope I can simply insert my old discs, or at least use the code on the case to unlock the PSN version.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
munx13 said:
Isn't that what people were saying about the Xbox 360 last generation?
The difference being that the PS4 already has more / more notable exclusives announced for it than the 360 ever had released.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Haru17 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
munx13 said:
Isn't that what people were saying about the Xbox 360 last generation?
The difference being that the PS4 already has more / more notable exclusives announced for it than the 360 ever had released.
In which case, good on Sony. Besides, people can argue exclusives all they want but they will never reach the amount of exclusives available to the PC, hurr hurr hurr. Eh, exclusives aren't as important to me as good performance. PS3 was really bad for performance on certain games because of how different it was to develop for PS3 than for other consoles which were more traditional.

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
munx13 said:
That sounds like there is a lot of hate and bitterness behind that post

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
tiamat5 said:
munx13 said:
If you wish to imply that Im a fanboy of a certain platform, I'm not.
Almost all the best games this gen were multi-platform and so far I don't see why any console should be getting good sales considering the fact.
As some said previously, likely its people buying the cheaper platform for the newer gen.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
I dunno about the US but the UK deals are just madness. Get 3 of the last games for free when you buy a 500GB PS4 in some retail stores for £289. It's not even Black Friday. I work in retail. *doing that hand salute from Hunger Games* to all retail workers that day.

Good Luck and God Speed. See you on the other side.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Now I wanna know how much have the Xbone and Wii U sold.
In July Nintendo reported they crawled over the 10 million line with sales
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-worldwide-sales-pass-10-million-units/1100-6429269/

And Xbox allegedly sits around 16 Million shipped,
I did a quick search, but couldn't find any proper source for this, aside from Vgchartz.com, I only found a statement where they didn't decide to release figures.
Launching at the same time as the PS4, I think it is quite obvious why they are reluctant to release these figures...
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Sales-Aren-t-Important-Microsoft-Now-94577.html

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
munx13 said:
Unless, you know, you like JRPG's and/or Japanese developed games that have been localised.

This still seems to be the prevailing opinion but the PS4 has the most exclusives by far and have a longer list than both it's competitors for yet-to-be-released titles, with even the Wii U beating out the poor Xbox One for number of exclusives, which goes a long to explain why my beatiful Halo limited edition console has only seen a few hours of playtime since I bought it.

For reference: http://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4

You can also select any console you'd like up the top of the page and it will give you a full list of both released and upcoming exclusives and also splits releases up in to digital only and full retail (to help differentiate the indie titles mainly, on a side not about that, people seem to really underestimate how many indie exclusives Nintendo have on the Wii U)

Mar 26, 2008
This is really strange as the few PS4 owners I know are currently bemoaning the lack of games for it. Never has a console sold so much on so little it seems. Still, good for them.

I'm a bit baffled by Microsoft's "exclusives don't mean shit" attitude, because clearly they do.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
munx13 said:
tiamat5 said:
munx13 said:
If you wish to imply that Im a fanboy of a certain platform, I'm not.
Almost all the best games this gen were multi-platform and so far I don't see why any console should be getting good sales considering the fact.
As some said previously, likely its people buying the cheaper platform for the newer gen.
Convenience is the name of the game here (or laziness, take your pick). I have a PC bought in 2013 which is more powerful than PS4, which I also own. The thing is, whenever I want to play on my PC I have to spend some time with tweaking the graphics options, often install the latest drivers, because of course not all of my parts are compatible with whatever specs the PC devs imagined would be perfect for their product. Also my cooling system turned out to be not as good as I anticipated, and during continuous play I experience performance drops due to overheating. That's why whenever a new multiplatform game comes out, I take the console version. I like 60 FPS more than 30, but stable 30 is preferable than a game jumping between 30 and 60 until I spend way more time than I want in the options menu.

Yes, I can keep my soft up to date. Yes, I can replace my cooling system for a better one, no doubt... The thing is, new coolers cost money, and so will another inevitable upgrade, after something else will stop working as good as I would want it to work. It's a thought that keeps me away from simply enjoying the game. With PS4 I have a guarantee, it will run all games more or less smooth enough for me to enjoy experience without any distractions until PS5 comes out (of course there are blunders here as well, AC: Unity and lately console version of Fallout 4 being examples. Precise reason, why I didn't buy any of those titles yet). It simply works better for me and my peace of mind.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, that sounds good, especially considering the Playstation brand is one of the few crutches holding the company up (though it's getting better I guess). Too bad I still haven't been convinced to help (or not, by buying an Xbone) by jumping over to the current gen.
Programmed_For_Damage said:
This is really strange as the few PS4 owners I know are currently bemoaning the lack of games for it. Never has a console sold so much on so little it seems. Still, good for them.

I'm a bit baffled by Microsoft's "exclusives don't mean shit" attitude, because clearly they do.
I think many people saying "I've been burned by the 360's RRoD too many times to buy another Xbox," or "I still don't trust Microsoft after what they almost pulled on us with the original Xbone DRM," helped Sony a lot more than the extra exclusives the PS4 has. That, the price advantage the PS4 had over the xbox for the longest time, and the higher performance it still has probably would put Sony in the lead even if MS had more exclusives.